• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Jew at Christmas

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
The following video is a recording of a BBC special made by the late Michael Elkins. I'm posting it here because I found it interesting and moving, and isn't meant to anger anyone.

I'm also attaching a transcript I made.

Attachments

• A Jew at Xmas - Transcript.pdf
    123 KB · Views: 0

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
The following video is a recording of a BBC special made by the late Michael Elkins. I'm posting it here because I found it interesting and moving, and isn't meant to anger anyone.

I'm also attaching a transcript I made.
That was meanest and stupidest Santa Clause, ever. I believe 100% of the story and read the transcript. It is sad and shameful that happened to a child. I am angry at that (now) dead guy, though perhaps he thought he was doing you some kind of a favor or perhaps learned not to be mean to kids later. Maybe later on he regretted doing saying that. Wow, just awful.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
That was meanest and stupidest Santa Clause, ever. I believe 100% of the story and read the transcript. It is sad and shameful that happened to a child. I am angry at that (now) dead guy, though perhaps he thought he was doing you some kind of a favor or perhaps learned not to be mean to kids later. Maybe later on he regretted doing saying that. Wow, just awful.
I agree that that was an awful story, but, though it was clearly a pivotal moment in Michael Elkins' life, I think the point was more that a lot of similar things were already happening to him - he describes what the Christian neighbors used to call him and how he was beat up - and this was merely the straw that broke the camel's back. If it weren't for that story, well, there's a good chance that something else would've happened to drive him away. He mentions that this (distancing from Judaism) happened to his brothers as well, and that this happens to children of immigrants all over the world.