• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A hybrid EV battey that charges in 72 seconds. Not there but it's a start.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
You don't have to actually do that. It violates the TOS, but, again, even with a regular car manufacturers try to force us into one of their authorized mechanics. But that's not just cars as all kinds of devices amd objecgs require security bolts and proprietary tools to work on.
Just be sensible about like I am. Start out with a smaller electric engine to learn on, get a book to help teach you about them, and take that to apply it to an electric car when I eventually get one (they go fast so I do want one). But doing so while avoiding Telsa because those are hella anti-consumer, extremely over priced with attached bells and whistles you have to pay extra for (for now, till someone figures them out), and have in tow a list of failed promises, public endangerment, and lawsuits over the self driving program just not really being safe or reliable in a city/urban setting.
I think you and me are on the same boat here!

I'm privy for cheaper just the basic package options without being forced or compulsory to pay for extras I don't want or care for.

Also the right to repair, either by myself or any repair center I choose without having to undergo expensive proprietary clauses and agreements that forces one to seek out specified locations for exclusive parts and accessories.

Twilight Hue

Batteries aren't a major engine overhaul. ****, at 200,000 miles replacing an engine gasket isn't even an overhaul but just a pain in the *** (I drive enough I've had to do that twice).
To make a car battery last 15 years it has to be very gently and minimally used, with considerations to where you live.
battery-life-expectancy-zone.jpg
I seek equivalence or surpassed quality before I sink into something new as it stands. I might make an exception for ev bikes however. I do like them but have concerns about safety as loud pipes save lives.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I seek equivalence or surpassed quality before I sink into something new as it stands. I might make an exception for ev bikes however. I do like them but have concerns about safety as loud pipes save lives.
EVs pretty much do outperform internal combustion cars in all areas except for range, which is only an issue if you are an outlier in how much driving you do (meaning you have to do way more than the average daily driver). And energy efficiency, a pretty important performance area, there is just no competition as an EV makes even the most efficient internet combustion engines look terribly wasteful and gluttonous.
And unless you have modded you car to the point it is utterly illegal on the streets in all 50 states you very likely don't have loud pipes. Cars for a good while now have been designed to be quieter, so much so that a cold air intake on my last car only raised the noise level a bit.
And if you do have a loud pipe? You might have a problem with the pipe. That's just how cars generally and typically are out of the factory.

Twilight Hue

EVs pretty much do outperform internal combustion cars in all areas except for range, which is only an issue if you are an outlier in how much driving you do (meaning you have to do way more than the average daily driver). And energy efficiency, a pretty important performance area, there is just no competition as an EV makes even the most efficient internet combustion engines look terribly wasteful and gluttonous.
And unless you have modded you car to the point it is utterly illegal on the streets in all 50 states you very likely don't have loud pipes. Cars for a good while now have been designed to be quieter, so much so that a cold air intake on my last car only raised the noise level a bit.
And if you do have a loud pipe? You might have a problem with the pipe. That's just how cars generally and typically are out of the factory.
There's still power to consider. A battery simply dosent have the longevity and reliability in terms of maintaining its horsepower for very long.

Particularly in cold northern, as well as extreme cold southern climates where HVAC systems are in play.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
There's still power to consider. A battery simply dosent have the longevity and reliability in terms of maintaining its horsepower for very long.

Particularly in cold northern, as well as extreme cold southern climates where HVAC systems are in play.
That power and longevity is only an issue if you drive a lot, to the point you routinely drive hundreds of miles in a single day.
And as I've been saying EV batteries are no better or worse than a regular car battery. Either one will probably need replaced in a few years.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
That means you are an outlier like myself. Most people just don't drive that much. It wouldn't work for us, but that doesn't mean it's a problem that will exist for most.

Actually most of my driving is local, and I agree that it wouldn't apply to that. In fact I imagine most of my charging would be done overnight, in my own garage.

The problem is, most people do make long trips from time to time and what I said discourages them from owning an EV. I share a conventional car with my SO, but if we had two cars the second one would be an EV, which would give us the best of both worlds.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Batteries aren't a major engine overhaul. ****, at 200,000 miles replacing an engine gasket isn't even an overhaul but just a pain in the *** (I drive enough I've had to do that twice).
To make a car battery last 15 years it has to be very gently and minimally used, with considerations to where you live.

Regular lead-acid batteries are different than lithium-ion. Electric Car Battery Life: Everything You Need to Know

Hyundai offers a similar battery warranty for its EV of the Year-winning Ioniq 5, with coverage of 10 years or 100,000 miles. It also covers battery degradation, with Hyundai expecting the Ioniq 5’s pack to lose no more than 30 percent of its original charge during the warranty period.
Plan on a service life of between 8 and 12 years if your EV is regularly used in more extreme conditions.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Actually most of my driving is local, and I agree that it wouldn't apply to that. In fact I imagine most of my charging would be done overnight, in my own garage.

The problem is, most people do make long trips from time to time and what I said discourages them from owning an EV.
Yeah. Personally, I do feel we regular peons have given and switched enough, it's time we look towards corporate executives, politicians, frivolous use if private jets and excessive flying in commercial jets to start making cuts. We do, for example,have to address infrastructure and charging before we can realistically flood the streets with EVs. That will take time.
But why, after covid and digital meetings, are world leaders still flying to meet and discuss the environment?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Regular lead-acid batteries are different than lithium-ion. Electric Car Battery Life: Everything You Need to Know

Hyundai offers a similar battery warranty for its EV of the Year-winning Ioniq 5, with coverage of 10 years or 100,000 miles. It also covers battery degradation, with Hyundai expecting the Ioniq 5’s pack to lose no more than 30 percent of its original charge during the warranty period.
Plan on a service life of between 8 and 12 years if your EV is regularly used in more extreme conditions.
Yeah, those numbers are under ideal conditions. I doubt they routinely get that. Most cars aren't even on the road that long so it seems suspicious to say plan on a service life of 8 to 12 years when you know damn well most people don't hold onto a car for even half that time.
And 8 to 10 years for more extreme conditions? 10 years or 100,000 miles? I've had multiple jobs where I've done 100,000 (or close to it) in one year. What is extreme to them?
Seems like an elaborate word game with legal allowances in wording with knowledge of average consumer habits setting up how it guides expectations from reading that.

Twilight Hue

The problem is, most people do make long trips from time to time and what I said discourages them from owning an EV. I share a conventional car with my SO, but if we had two cars the second one would be an EV, which would give us the best of both worlds.
Yea people need to pay more attention to the needs of long commuters, either for work or recreation.

Twilight Hue

Yeah, those numbers are under ideal conditions. I doubt they routinely get that. Most cars aren't even on the road that long so it seems suspicious to say plan on a service life of 8 to 12 years when you know damn well most people don't hold onto a car for even half that time.
And 8 to 10 years for more extreme conditions? 10 years or 100,000 miles? I've had multiple jobs where I've done 100,000 (or close to it) in one year. What is extreme to them?
Seems like an elaborate word game with legal allowances in wording with knowledge of average consumer habits guiding expectations from reading that.
I hold on to my vehicle until the tires fall off. There are more people like myself than you think.

I don't like continued monthly payments, as i despise being in debt.

I like paid in full.

Twilight Hue

Not good enough.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I get better battery life than that by using a desulfating maintainer.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Seems like an elaborate word game with legal allowances in wording with knowledge of average consumer habits setting up how it guides expectations from reading that.

You're ignoring that the numbers are car company warranties which being greedy capitalists, they would not offer unless the odds of them being used were minimal.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
You're ignoring that the numbers are car company warranties which being greedy capitalists, they would not offer unless the odds of them being used were minimal.
The average time someone keeps a new car is 6 to 8 years (with many trading in every couple of years).
And what is the company's history of easily honoring warranties, or do they use loopholes to weasel out of it?
I'm also sure they know 10 years and 100,000 miles, those cars are were you start finding a larger chunk of drivers/owners working on their own cars and that in itself may potentially violate the warranty (that would require reading through the actual contract to answer).

Heyo

Veteran Member
Just as an aside, I've wondered if changeable batteries would work, like the way we handle propane gas. Drive in, sit in the car while someone takes the depleted battery out and fits a charged one, pay, off we go! Meanwhile, depleted batteries sit in the back of the facility charging, ready for another user. When batteries wear out over time they are replaced with new ones, old batteries are recycled, and the whole thing is funded by the charging fees.
Others have wondered that, too. And that is the way electric bikes work, just switch the battery pack.
But it's not that easy with car batteries. They are much too heavy to be easily serviceable. Do that at home? Forget it. Also, those batteries are pretty expensive. I don't know how seriously that has been tried, but it has been and the results weren't favourable for that technique.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
That power and longevity is only an issue if you drive a lot, to the point you routinely drive hundreds of miles in a single day.
And as I've been saying EV batteries are no better or worse than a regular car battery. Either one will probably need replaced in a few years.
A regular car battery is much cheaper than the EV battery.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
Others have wondered that, too. And that is the way electric bikes work, just switch the battery pack.
But it's not that easy with car batteries. They are much too heavy to be easily serviceable. Do that at home? Forget it. Also, those batteries are pretty expensive. I don't know how seriously that has been tried, but it has been and the results weren't favourable for that technique.

I'm not sure why weight would matter. A service station would have equipment for that kind of thing. On the other hand, it would require standardization of the batteries and the way they fitted into the car. Also, it depends on what you mean by servicing. If it's just charging and checking the condition of the batteries, I'm not sure what the big deal is. Of course you wouldn't have people changing batteries at home, and more than everyone having a gas pump. They could still charge the batteries in situ I suppose, as now.

But you're right it wouldn't work without a lot of changes.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
A regular car battery is much cheaper than the EV battery.
From what I'm finding that may depend on make and model, as though I'm many that are far more expensive I'm also finding it appears the cheaper batteries are about as much as the more expensive regular car battery.