1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A hybrid EV battey that charges in 72 seconds. Not there but it's a start.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Twilight Hue, Nov 24, 2022.

1. Twilight Hue

Twilight Hue Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Ratings:
    +21,489
    Religion:
    Philosophical Buddhism
    • Informative Informative x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  2. The Sum of Awe

The Sum of Awe Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.

Ratings:
    +2,665
    Religion:
    This is all actually happening. What the heck???
    I was told another issue is that these cars require special automotive shops for repairs, special meaning uncommon and would require a bit of a drive (or tow) to reach one.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Twilight Hue

Ratings:
    +21,489
    Religion:
    Philosophical Buddhism
    My biggest concern past its power capability is its planned obsolescence so corporations can continuously and routinely gouge its customers like they do with smartphones.

The exclusivity like specialized shops and supply centers would be the first red flag on what's coming down the pipe.

• Like Like x 1
  4. The Sum of Awe

Ratings:
    +2,665
    Religion:
    Yeah, if I had to buy a new car every year I'd be pretty annoyed.

Why can't they just invent teleporters already?

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Twilight Hue

Ratings:
    +21,489
    Religion:
    Philosophical Buddhism
    Heh heh. I hear they are death machines.

6. The Sum of Awe

Ratings:
    +2,665
    Religion:
    I've heard that before. But you often hear people stuck in traffic talking about how much they want to die, so I guess it's a win-win. :shrug:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Heyo

Heyo Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +12,000
    Religion:
    none
    Which is just another issue of scale. Nobody opens a special shop for EVs because nobody has an EV. Nobody has an EV because there are no shops.
    (Same goes for charging stations.)

• Like Like x 1
  8. sun rise

sun rise Śvāna Dharma
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +38,583
    Religion:
    Love/Omnism
    There are more and more charging stations being built all the time. Currently there are about 1/3 as many charging stations for EVs as gas stations Interactive: EV Charging Stations Across the U.S. Mapped

The new fast charging tech article mentioned that the really rapid charging will apply to smaller EVs such as in-town cars, electric bikes and the like. That makes sense for the new tech.

• Informative Informative x 2
  9. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +40,331
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Perhaps. It is new technology. There are not that many on the road yet. But people can learn rather quickly . When the demand goes up service will go up.

10. sayak83

sayak83 Veteran Member
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +11,576
    Religion:
    Pluralist Hindu
    Interesting technology. Let's see where it goes. So far ultracapacitors have been used in regenerative braking systems only as they have lower energy storage ability than batteries. If the company has found a way to increase the energy storage of UCs then it will be great.

Meanwhile here is a good perspective of the future of EV vehicles
    Electric cars and batteries: how will the world produce enough?

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Revoltingest

Revoltingest Abnormal before it was fashionable
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +85,123
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Everyone knows that the Jews & George Soros
    are behind this conspiracy. They forced Obama
    to order companies to make products obsolete.
    They also prevent the public from buying engines
    that run on water.

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. PureX

PureX Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +12,705
    Religion:
    Philosophical Taoist/Christian
    This always happens with new technology. Every manufacturer is desperately trying to become the exclusive provider. So none of the initial products will be interchangeable until one version "wins" the greed battle. Then they will price-gouge everyone until the foreign copycats start flooding the market with knock-offs that work just as well and cost much less. Then, finally, we will have the product at an honest price.

Every new technology has to get through the gauntlet of greed before we can make any real use of it.

13. We Never Know

We Never Know No Slack

Ratings:
    +8,697
    Religion:
    It exists
    You can have a charging stations every 50 miles but a charging station isn't a shop that works on EV's.

14. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +40,331
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Those shops will come too. Right now the government is involved in adding charging stations. As more electric cars are bought and sold there will be an increased need for servicing. The free market will respond.

• Winner Winner x 2
  15. Alien826

Alien826 Older than dirt

Ratings:
    +682
    Religion:
    Horizontalist
    Even if there were to be a charging station on every corner, the problem of time would remain. I sometimes make an 8-hour trip to visit relatives in another city. The time includes a half hour stop for lunch. I fill up maybe three times, but it takes just a few minutes, so it doesn't add much to the trip time. If recharging takes 30 minutes, it adds an hour and a half to my journey, and that's not counting potential wait time for a free charging station, likely as the extended charging times means more stations are needed than gas pumps currently. Another factor is what do I do while waiting for the charge to complete? Lunch once, maybe, but what if a particular charging station did not have some kind of shelter nearby, and it's pouring with rain? I guess I sit in the car.

All that goes away if the car can be charged in a few minutes, which is why this innovation, if it works out, is so effective.

Just as an aside, I've wondered if changeable batteries would work, like the way we handle propane gas. Drive in, sit in the car while someone takes the depleted battery out and fits a charged one, pay, off we go! Meanwhile, depleted batteries sit in the back of the facility charging, ready for another user. When batteries wear out over time they are replaced with new ones, old batteries are recycled, and the whole thing is funded by the charging fees.

16. Shadow Wolf

Shadow Wolf Certified People sTabber

Ratings:
    +40,474
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    You keep mentioning life cycle but EV batteries last just as long as the batteries of a regular internal combustion engine (which is only a few years on average, give or take a couple depending on where you live).

17. Shadow Wolf

Ratings:
    +40,474
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    That means you are an outlier like myself. Most people just don't drive that much. It wouldn't work for us, but that doesn't mean it's a problem that will exist for most.

18. Twilight Hue

Ratings:
    +21,489
    Religion:
    Philosophical Buddhism
    I dunno. I haven't required any first engine overhaul in 15 years on average. Most go to 200000 miles in cases before any major overhaul is required which is impressive. If batteries can equal that, it's a great start.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Shadow Wolf

Ratings:
    +40,474
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    You don't have to actually do that. It violates the TOS, but, again, even with a regular car manufacturers try to force us into one of their authorized mechanics. But that's not just cars as all kinds of devices amd objecgs require security bolts and proprietary tools to work on.
    Just be sensible about like I am. Start out with a smaller electric engine to learn on, get a book to help teach you about them, and take that to apply it to an electric car when I eventually get one (they go fast so I do want one). But doing so while avoiding Telsa because those are hella anti-consumer, extremely over priced with attached bells and whistles you have to pay extra for (for now, till someone figures them out), and have in tow a list of failed promises, public endangerment, and lawsuits over the self driving program just not really being safe or reliable in a city/urban setting.

20. Shadow Wolf

Ratings:
    +40,474
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    Batteries aren't a major engine overhaul. ****, at 200,000 miles replacing an engine gasket isn't even an overhaul but just a pain in the *** (I drive enough I've had to do that twice).
    To make a car battery last 15 years it has to be very gently and minimally used, with considerations to where you live.
    [​IMG]