• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A huge change in way of life with 5 prayers a day.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
One of the biggest changes that i see so far is going from meditation a few times a week or when in good mood up to once a day. To now learning to pray 5 times a day, a few of the prayets happening in the night and very early morning :)

A very different devotion is needed but inhave to say, even i feel its a lot to learn, i am so much more calm from within. And the teaching in the quran is so much better then i can remember from past times i tried to read. Dedicaton is different but more relaxed toward life.

Maybe it is the prayers that has calmed me down :)

Do you have similar experiences with prayer you self?

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
@Amanaki, I often wonder about the use of repetitious prayers and saying the same things over and over by rote......it is practiced in just about every religion, but interestingly, not in Christianity (in its original form that is).

If we worship an intelligent God, Why would he want us to say the same things over and over, day after day? When our own children pester us by requesting the same thing over and over, how does it make us feel? Don’t we find it annoying?

Jesus gave us important counsel in regard to prayers....he said in Matthew 6:5-15....
Also, when you pray, do not act like the hypocrites, for they like to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the main streets to be seen by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. 6 But when you pray, go into your private room and, after shutting your door, pray to your Father who is in secret. Then your Father who looks on in secret will repay you. 7 When praying, do not say the same things over and over again as the people of the nations do, for they imagine they will get a hearing for their use of many words. 8 So do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need even before you ask him.

9 You must pray, then, this way:.....”

Then he went on to pray what is known as “the Lord’s Prayer”. But he did not tell his disciples to “pray this prayer”...but to “pray this way”.....this prayer was a model for our own prayers, outlining things to include in order of importance. Not something showy in public, but personal quiet prayer in a secluded place. An intimate conversation with a beloved Father.

First was the sanctification of God’s name.....the coming of his kingdom, so that the doing of his will can be done on earth as it is in heaven....giving us our portion of bread for that day, not asking more than what was needed on a daily basis. And not forgetting the value of forgiveness, being the basis upon which God forgives us.

This to me stands out as different to all other prayers offered by any other religion, including those who profess to be Christians.

Something to consider I think......what do you think?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
@Amanaki, I often wonder about the use of repetitious prayers and saying the same things over and over by rote......it is practiced in just about every religion, but interestingly, not in Christianity (in its original form that is).

If we worship an intelligent God, Why would he want us to say the same things over and over, day after day? When our own children pester us by requesting the same thing over and over, how does it make us feel? Don’t we find it annoying?

Jesus gave us important counsel in regard to prayers....he said in Matthew 6:5-15....
Also, when you pray, do not act like the hypocrites, for they like to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the main streets to be seen by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. 6 But when you pray, go into your private room and, after shutting your door, pray to your Father who is in secret. Then your Father who looks on in secret will repay you. 7 When praying, do not say the same things over and over again as the people of the nations do, for they imagine they will get a hearing for their use of many words. 8 So do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need even before you ask him.

Then he went on to pray what is known as “the Lord’s Prayer”. But he did not tell his disciples to “pray this prayer”...but to “pray this way”.....this prayer was a model for our own prayers, outlining things to include in order of importance. Not something showy in public, but personal quiet prayer in a secluded place. An intimate conversation with a beloved Father.

First was the sanctification of God’s name.....the coming of his kingdom, so that the doing of his will can be done on earth as it is in heaven....giving us our portion of bread for that day, not asking more than what was needed on a daily basis. And not forgetting the value of forgiveness, being the basis upon which God forgives us.

This to me stands out as different to all other prayers offered by any other religion, including those who profess to be Christians.

You have many good questions @Deeje and i am not sure i can answer it good enough yet. But to me it feels good to pray 5 times a day, in the sense that it gives consistency in the practice.
I do not have the answer to why in Christianity it is said only to pray, but not give a certain amount of times, and in Islam it is said very clearly.
I have to say that even it has only been a few days since my convertion i feel very comfortable in it. It feels correct to me, kind of like i found what i been looking for.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
You have many good questions @Deeje and i am not sure i can answer it good enough yet. But to me it feels good to pray 5 times a day, in the sense that it gives consistency in the practice.
I do not have the answer to why in Christianity it is said only to pray, but not give a certain amount of times, and in Islam it is said very clearly.
I have to say that even it has only been a few days since my convertion i feel very comfortable in it. It feels correct to me, kind of like i found what i been looking for.

I just think it is very interesting that something as fundamental as prayer is, can be so diverse in its application, depending on the tenets of a faith. If there is one God, how can there be so many diverse opinions and practices?

Meditation too has a different application in different religions.
To a Christian, it is mindfully contemplating the deeper spiritual aspects of life and our relationship with him, not emptying the mind, but filling it with profound applications of God’s will for us.

How does Islam view meditation?

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
I often wonder if that was something Islam took from it's neighboring faiths, like Zoroastrianism. From what I've read, Zoroastrians also prayed many times throughout the day. Traditionally they pray 5 times a day. These prayers are passed down from the Zenda Avesta. I think my favorite one is Asha Vohu. :)

Edit: Whoops! The Ashem Vohu. My bad!

Last edited:

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
One of the biggest changes that i see so far is going from meditation a few times a week or when in good mood up to once a day. To now learning to pray 5 times a day, a few of the prayets happening in the night and very early morning :)

A very different devotion is needed but inhave to say, even i feel its a lot to learn, i am so much more calm from within. And the teaching in the quran is so much better then i can remember from past times i tried to read. Dedicaton is different but more relaxed toward life.

The mosque is very close to my house, I was asking myself why I don't hear the call for the dawn prayer,
I wasn't praying at that time even though I'm a Muslim, One day I decided to pray and in the first day
I prayed the evening prayer and I slept at night, for the first time I woke up in the dawn hearing the call
of the dawn prayer, I was really surprised why I heard it just when I started to pray, and I was able to
hear it everyday.

The dawn prayer is really difficult when you have to pray in the very early morning, and I guess
you'll face difficulties in praying 5 times a day in the place where you live, I believe you'll need to
combine all prayers together if you can't pray during the day.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member

I am not a Christian, so I can't answer from that perspective, but as a parent, there would be some things I could get used to hearing my kids repeat, such as "I love you, Mom" or "I cleaned my room today" or "I did well in school". Its mostly the "I wants" that parents dread hearing over and over again. If prayer were used to express love or happiness, I think in most cases God wouldn't object.

Also, some religions don't see God as someone or something separate from themselves, they see God as dwelling within. Repeating a prayer isn't meant to annoy, its meant to function more like an affirmation.

Congratulations on your conversion, and I hope you find everything you are looking for. :)

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
I often wonder if that was something Islam took from it's neighboring faiths, like Zoroastrianism. From what I've read, Zoroastrians also prayed many times throughout the day. Traditionally they pray 5 times a day. These prayers are passed down from the Zenda Avesta. I think my favorite one is Asha Vohu. :)

Religion always exist but people disturb it and instead of praying to God they prayed for the stone,
the cow, the sun, the fire or even to human as they did with Jesus peace be upon him.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

Sure. I pray to my beer bottle every day, and that relaxes me a lot. Danish beer, in case you are interested about my denomination.

And the hit ratio between what I pray for, and what gets fulfilled, is the same as when I was a Christian praying to God.

And that should be enough evidence that Elephant beer is divine, too.

Ciao

- viole

Last edited:

Nimos

Just wondering, weren't you a supporter/follower of Falun gong or something like that a few weeks ago? And now it says Sunni Islam... if im correct in that, why did you give up on that, just wondering?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
The mosque is very close to my house, I was asking myself why I don't hear the call for the dawn prayer,
I wasn't praying at that time even though I'm a Muslim, One day I decided to pray and in the first day
I prayed the evening prayer and I slept at night, for the first time I woke up in the dawn hearing the call
of the dawn prayer, I was really surprised why I heard it just when I started to pray, and I was able to
hear it everyday.

The dawn prayer is really difficult when you have to pray in the very early morning, and I guess
you'll face difficulties in praying 5 times a day in the place where you live, I believe you'll need to
combine all prayers together if you can't pray during the day.

What is the dawn prayer? (From your view)

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
Religion always exist but people disturb it and instead of praying to God they prayed for the stone,
the cow, the sun, the fire or even to human as they did with Jesus peace be upon him.

Hmm... How is praying in the direction of fire any different than praying in the direction of Mecca? I'm sure muslims aren't praying to the Kaaba itself, so why would you think that someone who prays in the direction of the fire be praying to the fire?

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
Sure. I pray to my beer bottle every day, and that relaxes me a lot. Danish beer, in case you are interested about my denomination.

And the hit ratio between what I pray for, and what gets fulfilled, is the same as when I was a Christian praying to God.

And that should be enough evidence that Elephant beer is divine, too.

Ciao

- viole

I'd be willing to bet that my state's local microbrews can beat your danish favorites any day of the week. ;)

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Hmm... How is praying in the direction of fire any different than praying in the direction of Mecca? I'm sure muslims aren't praying to the Kaaba itself, so why would you think that someone who prays in the direction of the fire be praying to the fire?

Completely not true, Muslims don't mention the Kaaba in their prayers, it has nothing to do with
their prayers, I guess you know that the Zoroastrians ask the fire to help them

Here is how they ask the fire to help them
Give me, O fire, son of Ahura Mazda, lively welfare, lively maintenance, lively living, fulness of welfare, fulness of maintenance, fulness of life; Knowledge, sagacity, quickness of tongue, holiness of soul, a good memory, and the understanding that goes on growing and the understanding that is not acquired through learning...

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
Completely not true, Muslims don't mention the Kaaba in their prayers, it has nothing to do with
their prayers, I guess you know that the Zoroastrians ask the fire to help them

Here is how they ask the fire to help them
Give me, O fire, son of Ahura Mazda, lively welfare, lively maintenance, lively living, fulness of welfare, fulness of maintenance, fulness of life; Knowledge, sagacity, quickness of tongue, holiness of soul, a good memory, and the understanding that goes on growing and the understanding that is not acquired through learning...

Then why even pray in the direction of Kaaba if it's not important? From what I've read, the fire is a sacred symbol to Zoroastrians. Is the Kaaba not also sacred to Muslims?

Firstly, I'd love to see your source for that prayer so I can have context to what it's intentions actually are. Secondly, are you telling me that zoroastrians literally think fire is going to bestow those blessings, not Ahura Mazda? Where did you get that information from? I'd like links for that, too.

Maybe I'm uninformed, but I never read that in my studies. All I've ever read was that fire was a sacred symbol of Ahura Mazda. I've never read anywhere that they actually believe that fire literally bestows blessings like some kind of sentient, supernatural being. o_O

It feels like you're building a straw man.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member

Baha’is read from the sacred writings (could be the Quran, Gospel, Torah, Baha’i writings, Vedas or Buddhist Canon) morning and evening and chose from one of three obligatory prayers each day. We recite the Greatest Name of God, Allah’u’Abha 95 times. These practices may take 5-10 minutes per day or longer if we want.

My experience with the Baha’i Writings like the Quran, New Testament, Torah and sacred writings of the other world religions is that it brings great peace and strength.