• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Number 42

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Yes, this is a math thread. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. And there are religious aspects as well.

A Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Number 42

In ancient Egyptian mythology, during the judgment of souls, the dead had to declare before 42 judges that they had not committed any of 42 sins.

Ancient Tibet had 42 rulers. Nyatri Tsenpo, who reigned around 127 B.C., was the first. And Langdarma, who ruled from 836 to 842 A.D. (i.e., the 42nd year of the ninth century), was the last.

The Gutenberg Bible, the first book printed in Europe, has 42 lines of text per column and is also called the “Forty-Two-Line Bible.”

The reference to base 13 in Adams’s answer requires a more indirect explanation. In one instance, the series suggests that 42 is the answer to the question “What do you get if you multiply six by nine?” That idea seems absurd because 6 x 9 = 54. But in base 13, the number expressed as “42” is equal to (4 x 13) + 2 = 54.

Mathematically Unique?

The number 42 has a range of interesting mathematical properties. Here are some of them:

The number is the sum of the first three odd powers of two—that is, 21 + 23 + 25 = 42. It is an element in the sequence a(n), which is the sum of n odd powers of 2 for n > 0. The sequence corresponds to entry A020988 in The On-Line Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences (OEIS), created by mathematician Neil Sloane. In base 2, the nth element may be specified by repeating 10 n times (1010 ... 10). The formula for this sequence is a(n) = (2/3)(4n – 1). As n increases, the density of numbers tends toward zero, which means that the numbers belonging to this list, including 42, are exceptionally rare.

The number 42 is the sum of the first two nonzero integer powers of six—that is, 61 + 62 = 42. The sequence b(n), which is the sum of the powers of six, corresponds to entry A105281 in OEIS. It is defined by the formulas b(0) = 0, b(n) = 6b(n – 1) + 6. The density of these numbers also tends toward zero at infinity.

Forty-two is a Catalan number.

Problem of the Sum of Three Cubes

What integers n can be written as the sum of three whole-number cubes (n = a3 + b3 + c3)?

The answer came in a 2020 preprint, the result of a huge computational effort coordinated by Booker and Andrew Sutherland of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Computers participating in the Charity Engine network of personal computers, calculating for the equivalent of more than one million hours, showed:

42 = (–80,538,738,812,075,974)3 + 80,435,758,145,817,5153 + 12,602,123,297,335,6313

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
The pentakis icosidodecahedron has 120 sides and 42 edges and is sort of spherical looking.

Heyo

Veteran Member
That settles it! Douglas Adams was a prohet amd his works the sacred word of god. It certainly must because of that. Or however it goes in this case. I don't know. Worship order and chaos, I suppose.
I guess he might have opposed such a notion, being an atheist and all. But for me he is one of the greatest philosophers of the late 20th century.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I guess he might have opposed such a notion, being an atheist and all. But for me he is one of the greatest philosophers of the late 20th century.
That's why Im not sure how that would work. But order and chaos are "godly forces," and it seems to fit with the book.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
The answer is two-thirds of The Beast?

You mean .666 of the Beast ?

BTW, did you know that the musical interval perfect fifth expresses 666 ?
The ratio is 2 : 3
In fact if you tune A to 444hz, then the perfect fifth above A is E, 666hz.

Isn’t that extraordinarily useless ?