• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"A Heap of Trouble." An Award Winning Short Movie

Skwim

Veteran Member
Be advised, the following contains full frontal nudity, but believe me it's far from gratuitous. In fact, it goes to the very essence of the message, and the reason for its placement in the Ethics and Morals forum.

Enjoy. (It's only 4 minutes long.)

Last edited:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Be advised the following has full frontal nudity, but believe me it's far from gratuitous. In fact, it goes to the very essence of the message, and the reason for its placement in the Ethics and Morals forum.

Enjoy. (It's only 4 minutes long.)

I suppose there could be different messages in play here. Not just the people's shock at public nudity, but the fact that two other men just couldn't resist the urge to tear off their clothes and go join them. Is that supposed to symbolize how peer pressure can cause people to go off and do something ridiculous? Also, is there any significance in that it's nine naked men as opposed to nine naked women walking down the road? In the past, there have been women staging nude protests or demonstrations which gets people's attention and people will want to listen to their message. But if men do that, then people go screaming and running for the hills, as if they've just seen Bigfoot.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Re. the movie.

I immediately took it to be a commentary on the human penchant to blindly cave to irrational, ill conceived fears; illustrated here by the puritanical disgust of the naked body. A disgust so terrible that it envisions such nudity as seducing people's minds and leading them to hell(?).

In other words: "Get real, people. Stop being so stupid."

Last edited:

Skwim

Veteran Member
Skwim, you trying to start a movement against wearing clothes? ;)
Absolutely: If we're to get to the bottom of society's ills we'll need full Disclotheser.

Of course there is such a thing as going too far.

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
They might have been less alarming had they not been marching abreast and singing about naked men.
Had they been quietly hiking in line along the sidewalk, not deliberately making a spectacle of themselves, perhaps nodding greetings to the locals, I think there would have been less alarm.

Skwim

Veteran Member
They might have been less alarming had they not been marching abreast and singing about naked men.
Had they been quietly hiking in line along the sidewalk, not deliberately making a spectacle of themselves, perhaps nodding greetings to the locals, I think there would have been less alarm.
But I think that would defeat the point. Deliberately drawing attention to themselves gives the town folk to something to be aghast about, which brings out their fear. And irrational, ill conceived fear is what the movie attempts to highlight.

Last edited:

LukeS

Surreal to me, like a Monty Python clip. Reminds me of the concept of "ethnomethodology" in sociology, where IIRC people breach conventions in a staged manner. Leaving people nonplussed, then maybe somehow more aware of the original limits of the "definition of the situation".

Maybe the men represent the councils hidden aspect, like a projection of depth psychology - the id or something, an unconstrained aspect of self seen in phantasy made real. Unconstrained by the "superego" and social convention. Like suit wearers online, swearing and chatting about sex etc, the corporate image vanishes.

ethnomethodology - Bing

definition of the situation sociology - Bing

People ask "what does it mean" and that's part of the plan, sometimes conventional meanings and sense of order are challenged, because the "behavioural script" has been breached.

script psychology - Bing

Ethics wise it relates to learning as adaptive response: show this to a kid and they wont get it ie it won't seem that strange. A bit like in this music vid, what the child sees is to me strange, but in this day and age who knows what younger peoples "weirdness thresholds" are???

But peoples moral intuitions are challenged because the formation of conscience has adaptive value. Like Plato said IIRC, he respected the laws because they were a condition of his existence. A Shia teacher said something like, don't force your manners on children because they belong to a different era.

Last edited: