• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Haunting Tale

JJ50

When moving to a new house you do not expect to employ an expert in the paranormal in addition to the surveyor and the solicitor. Maybe that is what we should have done before we moved our haunted 1610 North Wales farmhouse, in February 1997!

We had only been in residence for two weeks when a reporter from our local weekly newspaper told us that an Irish couple had seen visions of the Virgin Mary in our field, and had subsequently experienced miracles of healing. Not being Catholics we were highly sceptical. The field is at the bottom of a quiet country lane and has nothing much to recommend it as it is steep and rugged. It is not much use for grazing, but we allowed our neighbour to keep a few pet sheep there. In spite of my scepticism, when I was suffering with a frozen shoulder, that had defied medical aid, I stood at the field gate and within five minutes my pain had eased; by the next day I was cured! I have a theory that if one has something like our field to focus the mind on, it acts like a catalyst in helping the body’s own healing mechanisms to kick in.

By June of 1997 our lane was becoming like a mini Lourdes with folk visiting the field in hope of a vision or a miracle. For most of our time at that property we would get a ‘pilgrim’ or two, and there were occasional reports of miracles. Two people have actually contacted me over the Internet from America, saying that they had been healed when they visited the field. According to a newspaper report, its tranquil vibes prevented a man from committing suicide in 1999.

While all this was going outside, we became aware of a presence in the house. Our youngest daughter (43 today), but then 21, was on a visit home and woke up to find a monk sitting on the end of the bed. She found it a pleasant experience, until her brain kicked in, and then she wondered what on earth he was doing there! We thought it was a dream until I saw an apparition of a monk in broad daylight a couple of days later. From then on Brother Doli (Adolphus) became part of the family. Our son, who has Down’s Syndrome saw him frequently, and accepted the fact as normal. I saw the monk on about six occasions, each time I thought I was seeing a flesh and blood person for the second or two that I was aware of the presence.

To be continued.

JJ50

Soon stains in the form of a Welsh religious words appeared on the wall in the lounge, TANGNEFEDD, meaning peace as in ‘peace be with you’ was the first. Very quickly the wall erupted in religious words, all in Welsh. Not being Welsh speakers we had to buy a Welsh dictionary to interpret them. We also noticed crosses and little monks appearing all over the place, inside and out. Carvings in the form of words, crosses and monks also materialised. This was a continuing phenomenon. Sometimes the words and images would remain for a year or two, other times they would come and go quite quickly.

I am a very amateur photographer, but I took a lot of photographs whilst we lived there. From time to time an inexplicable image on a photo when appear that was not visible when I took the shot. One particularly memorable one was taken in the autumn of 1997. I happened to shoot some photos of the barn in our field, a really spooky image of a grotesque face appeared on one of the photographs. If I had seen it in reality, I think I would have been a few miles down the road!

Footsteps were frequently heard going up and down our staircase and along the landing. We also heard bumps and bangs of unknown origin. They could be so loud that one could be forgiven for thinking that the house was about to fall down! This phenomenon could occur at anytime of the day or night.

Before long we had another ghostly houseguest, Jane. We had a gravestone, which was dug up from under the lawn about 40 years ago. Apparently the workmen refused to dig any deeper for fear of disinterring any bones! The inscription on the stone read, Jane Jones Aged 15 1778. In March 2001 I saw a girl standing on the back patio, stroking the cat. She was young and heavily pregnant, dressed in a long smock like dress and blue cloak. In the ten seconds it took me to get to the backdoor, she had disappeared. There was absolutely nowhere she could have gone without me seeing her go. A workman in the lane said that he had not seen her. We began to discover the name ‘Jane’ in the form of a stain or carving on the walls. Putting two and two together, we assumed that this was the girl I had seen.

Our ghostly houseguests seemed fascinated by the computer! E-mails, of which we have no knowledge, have been sent out at times when we have been in, out or asleep, and the computer switched off. These have been Welsh words, similar to those on the walls, the recipients are folks listed in our address book. Sometimes Welsh words have appeared in documents that my husband had been typing, this could be quite annoying if the document is sent out and the word has gone unnoticed!
To be continued

JJ50

We often heard voices in the house at different times of day and night. The words are just beyond our level of hearing; we couldn’t pinpoint exactly where the sound was coming from. Occasionally these have sounded like the voices of children, a crowd of people, or just a couple having a conversation, we even heard a baby crying in our kitchen!

An impressive piece of spooky mischief was the transportation of heavy objects around the house. We have a large wooden owl carved out of a single piece of teak. It weighs approximately 182lbs and it was with difficulty that two strong men lifted it into position onto the 16-inch high hearth in August 2002. A few months later it transported itself across the room, and continued to go walkabout periodically.

To be continued

JJ50

The gravestone used to lean against the front wall of the house, for some unaccountable reason it fell over three times in one day in 2002. It was getting damaged so we decided to bring it into the lounge and tuck it away in a corner where the casual observer was unlikely to notice it. It seemed quite 'happy' for a number of months until that too went walkies! On the last occasion it was missing for a period of five days. We searched every single place we could think of in the house and garden. It is quite heavy and nobody could get very far carrying it. I had an Internet acquaintance, a psychic who lives on the south coast of England. More in fun, than any hope of finding the stone, I asked her to use her psychic ability to locate it. She e-mailed me to say that she had the impression it was under my husband’s side of the bed! We had looked there so it seemed unlikely. However, sure enough, there it was, soaking wet, yet the carpet beneath it was bone dry! We put it back in its place in the lounge and water drained out of it for the next four days. This was weird; stones do not normally act like sponges! In the end I got fed up and asked my husband to put it outside. Within an hour it had hopped over to the flowerbed opposite the house. It was decided to put it in the exact spot it had been in when we moved into our home in 1997. Growing beside it was a nice looking plant which had been planted after the stone had been moved away from its original position. A few days later I was working in my upstairs study, on the other side of the house, when I became aware of a woman’s perfume wafting in through the open window. Fascinated, I went into the garden to try to trace the source of it. It took me a while before I discovered it was emanating from the gravestone! Soon after that an unseen animal seemed to be attacking the plant. We discovered bite and scratch marks on the stem. Try as we might to protect it, the stem was bitten through! We were upset and my husband blamed the odour coming from it for attracting the phantom animal! In temper, he threw the stone onto the lawn, threatening to smash it up! It remained face down for about thirty-six hours. I suggested we should put it behind a tree in the herb garden at the back. On lifting it up, we discovered black scorch marks all the way down the front of the stone, just as if it had been in a fire, yet the lawn beneath was not damaged! The stone stayed in the back garden for a couple of years before once again going walkies! A few weeks later we found it once more in the lounge snuggled up to the owl!

To be continued

JJ50

One surprising, and welcome spin off of all this ghostly activity is my artistic talent! I had never been artistic in the whole of my life; I detested art at school. For my 50th birthday, in January 2000, I was given an ink jet printer with a freebie digital art package. I was persuaded to give this art form a try. In the early days it felt as if a presence was standing at my right shoulder guiding my right hand. Until that time I had controlled the computer mouse with my left hand, as I am left handed! Much to my surprise, I had an art exhibition three months later, and people actually want to buy my work! Poetry has also started bubbling out of my head, I had never written a poem before, now I have a few hundred to my name. I frequently have my poems published, in the UK and abroad. I firmly believe that the atmosphere in our house has released something in me, enabling these talents to thrive.

To be continued

JJ50

Sadly, in October 2005 my elderly father died in Guernsey, the island of my birth. The walls of our lounge were covered with words relating to the event!

In November 2005, my husband, was teasing the spooks and said it was a pity that they couldn’t do something useful like giving us the lottery numbers. Within hours a set of six numbers appeared on the wall of the lounge. We were as sick as parrots with bird flu when we discovered that they were indeed the jackpot numbers, but it was too late to buy a ticket!

Our spooks liked to share in any family event so it was no surprise to find the walls liberally decorated with the Welsh words, ‘Babi’ (baby), ‘Cariad’ (love) and Gorfoledd (joy) in six inch high letters when our youngest grandson entered this world on February 17th 2006.

At lunch time on March 23rd 2006 my husband was sitting in the lounge reading a book, on looking up he discovered that a 3ft high brownish stain, in the shape of a monk, had appeared on the wall opposite him. On turning around he saw another monk like stain, this time 2ft high, on the wall behind him! Since then more monks appeared on the walls and the lounge is began to resemble a monastery!

At the beginning of April 2006, coinciding with a legacy I received from my late father’s estate, we discovered Welsh words ‘Afal’ (apple) and ‘Cariad’ (love) on the lounge wall. My father was a successful Guernsey businessman, a horticulturist who grew tomatoes. When I was young tomatoes were sometimes referred to as ‘love apples’.

To be continued

JJ50

In May 2006 I was giving a ghost tour to six members of our local police force, suddenly an image of a monk materialised as a stain on the wall behind them. They said that they would rather face the worst of criminals than live in our haunted house!

Just before Christmas 2006 the Welsh word TEULU = family materialised. Little did we realise how much we would need our family in the months ahead! My husband suffered a brain haemorrhage on December 28th and his life hung in the balance for many weeks. It was the beginning of May 2007 before he was discharged from hospital. He now has devastating brain damage.

There are a number of independent witnesses who have had strange experiences in our home. We have obviously considered the possibility of our activity being a hoax. However, if that were to be the case it would be one of the most remarkable. The phenomena continued almost without a break for over 11 years, but suddenly stopped in January 2008 and we were ‘spook free’ since then. We think that if all this amazing activity is genuine, it is probably of natural origin and science will catch up in time. After all, things that we take for granted today, would have seemed paranormal 200 years ago!

Over the years the media took an interest in us. We have been the subject of several films, TV and radio programmes. Even the British Foreign Office commissioned a film in the late 90s!

Strangely enough we didn’t find the phenomena frightening, albeit a little disconcerting from time to time. The house had a friendly and welcoming atmosphere, there was never a dull moment, and we didn’t lack after dinner conversation when our unusual ‘houseguests’ were in residence.

We sold the farmhouse in 2012 and moved to a modern more manageable house.

RJG

Sorry this account is so long I hope it isn't too boring.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

RJG

Sorry this account is so long I hope it isn't too boring.
Good job and interesting. With internet sharing in recent years I have come to believe the paranormal may be 'rare' but 'not that rare either'.

I think we need to share more and more of our true stories in this age of much arrogance of scientism. This universe is greater than we can understand!

JJ50

I hope there is a scientific explanation one day for anything that is considered 'paranormal', I much prefer that to the alternative.

George-ananda

Premium Member
I hope there is a scientific explanation one day for anything that is considered 'paranormal'
I see it that the universe (including the so-called paranormal) will some day be explainable by science of the future. The 'paranormal' then kind of just becomes a word for things beyond current science's understanding. I think science of the future will come to accept as real the things we now call spiritual and paranormal.
I much prefer that to the alternative.
I am not clear as to what you see the 'alternative' to be that you don't prefer.

JJ50

I see it that the universe (including the so-called paranormal) will some day be explainable by science of the future. The 'paranormal' then kind of just becomes a word for things beyond current science's understanding. I think science of the future will come to accept as real the things we now call spiritual and paranormal.

I am not clear as to what you see the 'alternative' to be that you don't prefer.

I mean that entities like ghosts etc actually exist, and there is an afterlife.

George-ananda

Premium Member
I have no interest in an afterlife. When I die I hope that is it, end of story.
It would seem hard to believe in 'nothing' after your adventures with the unseen.

I take quite the opposite preference. Life would seem more sad and pointless without 'more' to it. I welcome the 'more'.