• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Guide to the Qur'an

ForeverFaithful

Son Worshiper
Hello,

I am not a Muslim, but I am interested in learning more about Islam, most especially Shia Islam.

I was wondering

a) Do Shias approve of the Yusuf Ali translation of the Qur'an in English?

b) Are there any Shia commentaries on each of the Surah, so that I can have the context of each as a I read the Qur'an

Shia Islam

Quran and Ahlul-Bayt a.s.
Premium Member
Hello,

I am not a Muslim, but I am interested in learning more about Islam, most especially Shia Islam.

I was wondering

b) Are there any Shia commentaries on each of the Surah, so that I can have the context of each as a I read the Qur'an

Hi,
Welcome to the Shiites DIR,
To translate the Quran one needs to first understand the Quran..
The problem is that the followers of the different sects will interpret the Quran according to their own beliefs..

And the Same is true when it comes to the translation..

On the other hand, All Muslims -and even many non Muslims- believe that God hand sent many prophets with Holy books...

But as time passes, the followers of the books will either change their books or will change their interpretations..

That is why we Shiites believe that God will always has a Hujjah, that is a prophet or an Imam on earth..

Indeed, all Muslims believe in the Hadith of Al-thaqalain, in which the prophet said that I left among you two valued (weighty) things, the book of Allah and my Ahlulbayt a.s.

So Ahlulbayt are the guardians of the Quran..

Can't you see that even ISIL is claiming to follow the Quran..

So you need a reference for truly understanding the Quran..

As of the translations of the Quran, there are some Shia comments on the quran available from:
Free Islamic Books by Scholars. Browse 1700+ resources | Al-Islam.org

And it must be said that Ahlulbayt told their followers to learn Arabic, the language of the Quran..

Now, regarding Abdullah Yousuf Ali translation...for most of the verses, it is great..it's certainly better than some other translations..

However i remember i found some deficiencies in almost all of the famous Quran translations including that of Abdulla yousuf Ali..

in specific, many of the translation tend to mistranslate the verses regarding the attributes of Allah..they tend to show as if Allah (SWT) is a body..(i don't remember if Abdullah yousuf ali is included here).

It's worth mentioning that Saudi has stopped distributing Abdulla yousuf ali translation and replaced it with a Wahhabi translation of the Quran!

mojtaba

Hello,

I was wondering

Salam!

welcome to Shia DIR!

a)As far as I know, Yusuf Ali is a Sunni translator. Qara'i and Sarwar are Shia translators.

b)Here is a website in which there are the Arabic text of Quran, its english translation, and a simple and brief Shi'i commentary on it: The Holy Quran-The Official Website of Grand Ayatollah MakaremShirazi
For reading the commentary on a verse, first select the verse in the english translation part (not Arabic verse), then select 'Interpretation' icon on the taskbar. For changing the verse, select the 'Translation' icon on the taskbar, change the verse, and then select the 'Interpretation' icon on the taskbar.

Here is an other good Shi'i brief comentry on Qur'an: Tafsir by Agha Mahdi Puya [make sure to tick this option 'Pooya/M.A. Ali Engl. Commentary']

Allah bless you!

zahra67

Hello,

I was wondering

hello.
i am very glad and you are very welcome here!
as you mentioned that you are interested in learning islam specially shia beliefs, i have a great gift for you!
its a book about prophet and his progeny p(peace be upon them).
this indicates that the message of islam is mercy, kindness, compassion and affection and all good characteristics.
the prophet and his ahlulbayt are kind for followers of other religions and even for there enemies.
they are forgiving to mistakes of others and pray and try sincerely for the sake of God to guide people.
they become very sad of misguidance of people and pray for our forgiveness for our sins.
here you are one anecdote from ouer prophet and then the link for the book which i explaned about it briefly.
hope that you love it and be useful for you.
Allah bless you and welcome again!

The Holy Quran considers the Holy Prophet source of mercy to the worlds:
وَمَا أَرْسَلْنَاكَ إِلَّا رَحْمَةً لِلْعَالَمِينَ
And We have not sent you but as a mercy to the worlds. (21:107)

A Jew Becomes Muslim By the Holy Prophet
Imam Musa (a.s) quoted Imam Ali (a.s) as saying, “Allah’s Messenger owed a few dinars to a Jew, so he asked for it. The Holy Prophet said, “I can't pay it now.” The Jew said, “I will not leave you until you have paid my money.” The Holy Prophet said, “Then I will sit beside you.” He sat beside that Jew for a long time during which he performed all his prayers.
The Holy Prophet’s companions made an attempt to intimidate him. Looking at them, the Holy Prophet asked, “What are you going to do with him?” They said, “O Allah's Messenger! A Jew is taking you a hostage like that!” The Holy Prophet said, “Allah has not commissioned me to do any injustice to non-Muslims.”
When the day came to an end, the Jew said, “I bear witness that there is no god but Allah and I bear witness that Muhammad is His servant and His Messenger. I give away a portion of my wealth for the sake of Allah, O Messenger! I swear by Allah what I did to you was to see whether you are the same person described in the Torah. I have read your description in the Torah that Muhammad, son of Abdullah, will be born in Mecca; he will migrate to Medina. He is neither rough nor furious. He is neither foul-mouthed nor does he use indecent words. I testify to the oneness of Allah and your Prophethood. This is my wealth at your disposal. Spend it as Allah has commanded.”

Forgiving the Enemies
When the Holy Prophet conquered Mecca with his strong army of twelve thousand soldiers, he treated people so kindly that they were all surprised. No one could believe that a victor could treat the defeated party in this way.
People of Mecca had gathered in the Sacred Mosque to see the leader of Muslims and Islam come out of Kabah and judge those who committed all kinds of persecution against him for thirteen years. However, after breaking the idols, the Holy Prophet came out of Kabah to address the people of Mecca as such, “O people! You were bad kinsmen and neighbors for me. You expelled me from my hometown and fought against me in an unmanly way. You did not spare any attempt to persecute my friends, my companions or me. You killed my uncle, Hamzah. You fought against Allah’s Messenger so I have the right to avenge myself on you. Based on this right, your men must be killed, your wives and children must be taken captive, your property must be seized by the conquerors, and your houses must be demolished. Yet I leave the judgment to you. What do you think?”
Suhayl ibn Amr, representing his people, said, “We speak good and think good. You are an honorable brother and an honorable nephew who has power over us.” These words impressed the tender-hearted Prophet in such a way that his eyes were filled with tears. People of Mecca started weeping. Then the Holy Prophet said, “I do the same thing as my brother Joseph did. There is no sin upon you today. May Allah forgive you; He is the Most Compassionate, the Most Merciful.”

Ahl al-Bayt, The Celestial Beings on the Earth

ForeverFaithful

Son Worshiper
May you tell why Shii not Sunni?
I have an Iranian friend, and we've been talking about Islam a lot and Shia seems to make more sense than Sunni Islam.

For example, as a Catholic I understand the need for a clear authority to be appointed, thus the relationship of Ali to Muhammad makes more sense as him being a successor.

Additionally, Shia maintain a clerical structure and a belief in penance, all of which I understand.

zahra67

I have an Iranian friend, and we've been talking about Islam a lot and Shia seems to make more sense than Sunni Islam.

For example, as a Catholic I understand the need for a clear authority to be appointed, thus the relationship of Ali to Muhammad makes more sense as him being a successor.

Additionally, Shia maintain a clerical structure and a belief in penance, all of which I understand.
salam.
read two narrations about virtue of ahl-al-bayt which is authentic between both shia and sunni muslims.
and also you can read lesson 31 until 41 which is about imamate. from this book.
The Tradition of Thaqalayn and Noah’s Ark

The Documentation of the Tradition of Thaqalayn
One of the famous Traditions among the ‘ulama of the Sunnis and Shi’ites is the Tradition of Thaqalayn.
A large group of the Companions, without any break, recorded this Tradition from the Prophet and some of the great ‘ulama say that 30 of the Companions have mentioned it (Sirah Halabi, vol. 33, p. 308)
A large group of the recorders have mentioned this in their books and there can be no doubt as to this Tradition.
The great scholar, Sayyid Hashim Bahrani, in his book, Ghayat al-Maram, mentions this Tradition with 39 documentations from the Sunni scholars and 80 documentations from the Shi’ite ‘ulama. Mir Hamad Husayn Hindi, another great scholar who studied this issue further, mentioned 200 Sunnis who have recorded this Tradition and he has compiled them in 6 volumes.
Among the individuals of the famous Companions who have recorded this are Abu Sa’id Khudari, Abu Dharr Ghifari, Zayd ibn Arqam, Zayd ibn Thabit, Abu Rafa’, Jabir ibn Matam, Huzaifah, Damarah Islami, Jabir ibn Abdallah Ansari and Umm Salimah.
The basic Tradition, according to Abu Dharr Ghifari, is that once when he was in the Ka’bah, he turned to the people and said that I heard that the Holy Prophet had said “I leave two things of value among you: the Qur’an and my family. These two will never separate from each other until they enter unto me in the Fountain of Abundance (kawthar) in Paradise. Thus, take care to follow what I have recommended” (Recorded from Jama’ Tarmjghi as from Niyabi’al-mawadah, p. 37)
This Tradition is found in the most reliable of the Sunni sources such as Sahih Tarmidhi Nisai Musnad Ahmad Kanz al-Amal and mustadrak Hakirn, etc.
In many of the books, this Tradition has been called Thaqalayn (two valuable things) and in some it is called khalifitin or two successors which do not differ in meaning.
It is interesting to note that in the various Traditions of Islam, this verse has been used by the prophet for the people on different occasions.
In the Tradition of Jabir ibn Abdallah Ansari, we read that he said this on the hajj on the day of Arafah.
It is recorded in a Tradition of Abdallah ibn Khattab that in Juhfah (an area between Mecca and Medina where some of the pilgrims enter the state of ihram).
It is recorded in a Tradition of Umm Salimah where this is said at Ghadir Khum.
It is recorded in a part of the Tradition during the last days of his blessed life, while he was on his death bed.
It is recorded in a Tradition he said this upon the pulpit in Medina (al-Marajat, p. 42)
Even famous Sunni scholars mentioned it ibn Hajar in his book, Sawaiq al-Mahraqah says from the Holy Prophet, “The Holy Prophet of Islam, after saying this Tradition, took ‘Ali’s hand and pulled him up and said, ‘It is ‘Ali and the Qur’an and the Qur’an and ‘Ali. They will not separate from each other until they enter unto me in the Fountain of Abundance” (al-Sawa’jn al-Mahraqah, p.75)
In this way, it becomes clear that the Prophet has expressed this as a principle many times and emphasized this and that he made use of many opportunities to express it so that it would never be forgotten.
The Content of the Tradition of Thaqalayn
Here, several points should be noted:
1. The introduction to the Qur’an and his family as ‘two caliphs’ or ‘two valuable things’ is clear proof that Muslims must never turn away from these two, especially with the condition in many Traditions where it states that, “If these two are released or freed from each other, you will be lost.”
2. Placing Qur’an beside his family and his family beside Qur’an is proof that as the Holy Qur’an will never be altered and that it will be preserved, the family of the Holy Prophet had the position of infallibility.
3. In some of these Traditions, it has been stated that the Prophet said, “On the Day of Resurrection, I will question you about how you behaved towards these two great souvenirs, to see how you have acted towards them.
4. No matter how we interpret the Ahlul Bayt, ‘Ali is the best confirmation. According to the repeated Traditions, he will never be separated from the Holy Qur’an nor Qur’an from him.
In addition to this, in the repeated Traditions, we read that when the verse was revealed about mubahilah, the Holy Prophet called ‘Ali, Fatimah, Hasan and Husayn, peace be upon them, and said, ‘This is my Ahlul Bayt.’ (Mash kat al -Masbaih, p. 568, printed in Delhi and Riyadh al-Nafarah, Vol. 2, p. 248, recorded from Muslim and Tarmidhi).
5. Even though it is not clear to us who are enclosed in this world what will be questioned of us, but on the Day of Judgment, we know from the Traditions, that the meaning of the Fountain of Abundance which is a special stream in Paradise with many special privileges is for the real believers, the prophets and the Ahlul Bayt and the followers of that school.
From what has been said, it becomes clear that the leadership of the ummah of Muslims after the Prophet is through ‘Ali and after him, also, through the Imams from this family.
The Tradition of Noah’s Ark
An interesting statement is recorded from the Holy Prophet, in both Sunni and Shi’ite books on Traditions, which is the famous Tradition of Noah’s ark.
In this Tradition, Abu Dharr says, “The Prophet said, ‘My family is like Noah’s ark. Whoever uses it will be saved and whoever separates from it will drown.” (Mustadrak Halcam, vol.3, p. 151).
This Tradition, which is also among the famous Traditions and mentions the necessity for the people to follow ‘Ali and the family of the Prophet after his death, has been emphasized.
Noting that the ark of Noah is a place of refuge and a means of salvation for when the great storm comes, this truth becomes clear that the Islamic ummah will be saved in the storm which came after the death of the Prophet through the Ahlul Bayt.

Source URL:
Fifty Lessons on Principles of Belief for Youths