• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A good ending or a bad ending for humanity?

What kind of ending will humanity have?

• A positive ending

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • A negative ending

Votes: 9 90.0%

• Total voters

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Do you think the story of humanity will end well for it's protagonists, or will it be a tragic end for humans?

I ask because I think it is a relevant discussion. For well over half a century, we have had the capacity to eliminate all of mankind via nuclear fire. So it is a realistic possibility, humanity meeting their doom within our very lifetimes. How exciting that we might get to witness the end of human history!

Will humanity transcend their struggles and warlike nature? I highly doubt it. I'm a glass half empty kind of guy. I don't think we will end in nuclear fire, rather, I think humanity will be continually and more and more enslaved by the various governments of the world, beyond the point of no return. That is my prediction. I don't think anarchism will get enough traction in time to save humanity. The average individual is no longer self sufficient and this trend will only grow and amplify in magnitude. This is calculated.

But anyways, if anarchism gains traction then I think humanity might have a chance to have a happy perpetual story. But I don't think this will happen, mainly, because I have personally given up in trying to make this happen.

That's my three cents.

What about you? Suppose you were a betting person, and the gamble was the fate of humanity. Where do you put your chips at? Feel free to elaborate.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
if anarchism gains traction
I very much doubt that it ever will
What about you? Suppose you were a betting person, and the gamble was the fate of humanity? Where do you put your chips at? Feel free to elaborate.
I think nuclear war is a good bet

But my money is on a huge asteroid slamming into our planet, like the one that killed the dinosaurs

Coming out of nowhere

I bet that's what will finish us off

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
@an anarchist

If some cataclysm (either natural or man made) wipes out civilisation then perhaps whatever's left might be some kind of post-apocolyptic anarchy? Perhaps that's how you'd get anarchy?

The question is, for how long would it last?

I don't think it would for very long given human nature but who knows!

Nimos

Do you think the story of humanity will end well for it's protagonists, or will it be a tragic end for humans?

I ask because I think it is a relevant discussion. For well over half a century, we have had the capacity to eliminate all of mankind via nuclear fire. So it is a realistic possibility, humanity meeting their doom within our very lifetimes. How exciting that we might get to witness the end of human history!

Will humanity transcend their struggles and warlike nature? I highly doubt it. I'm a glass half empty kind of guy. I don't think we will end in nuclear fire, rather, I think humanity will be continually and more and more enslaved by the various governments of the world, beyond the point of no return. That is my prediction. I don't think anarchism will get enough traction in time to save humanity. The average individual is no longer self sufficient and this trend will only grow and amplify in magnitude. This is calculated.

But anyways, if anarchism gains traction then I think humanity might have a chance to have a happy perpetual story. But I don't think this will happen, mainly, because I have personally given up in trying to make this happen.

That's my three cents.

What about you? Suppose you were a betting person, and the gamble was the fate of humanity. Where do you put your chips at? Feel free to elaborate.
I think human fate will be decided within the next 50-100 years.

The two highest risks for extinction as I see it are nuclear war and something from space, a huge meteor, or whatever that we fail to spot in time.

Besides that, if that doesn't happen, I think human survival will have a good chance of making it, especially with the development of AGI and robots. Those two technologies, looking at them on a grand scale. I think will catapult humanity beyond our wildest dreams in pretty much all fields and I think will at least remove a lot of the issues we are currently fighting with.

It will also potentially allow us to harvest the solar system creating an abundance of resources. This depends on whether these AGIs choose to get rid of us instead or we end up using them to kill ourselves, obviously :D

But if we can get safely through this period I think we will be good, and that the next 10-50 years will be the most deciding times in human history, where we will be tested in regards to whether we can go beyond human tribalism and survive as one species without blowing each other up.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
I think we're almost certainly headed for ecological overshoot. We are using our planet's finite resources in unsustainable ways.

To me the question is: can we degade gracefully to a more sustainable society, or will we end up in a mad-max world? :(

Little Dragon

Suppose you were a betting person, and the gamble was the fate of humanity. Where do you put your chips at? Feel free to elaborate.
I am going to wager that humanity will become extinct within 150 years. Going by current trends towards ethnic majority nationalism and authoritarianism and the global war and inevitable nuclear exchange that this can only result in.

I hope that is not the case. However I am not optimistic. I think I will just assume humanity and human civilization is going to pass sooner rather than later, and have no expectations beyond that. It's sad. I guess. That I see things like this. I just genuinely don't think mankind will make the cut. It's collectively too tribal, too aggressive, too short sighted and I am sorry to say, too stupid. I could be wrong of course. We shall have to see I guess.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
Where do you put your chips at?

Next to the fish, with each on its own side of the plate. Sprinkle vinegar first, then salt (which sticks to the parts with vinegar on).

Seriously, I'd bet on climate change to destroy civilization as we know it, then survival at a much lower level of population and technology.

Heyo

Veteran Member

That's my three cents.

I'd always bet on survival.
First, I'm a glass half full person and second, if I'm right, I cash in, if I'm wrong, you're dead, I'm dead, no one cares where the chips are. :cool:

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Well, an 'ending' is always going to be negative, isn't it? Why would human extinction be any better whether anarchy happens first or not?