• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A good day

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
So this is the Journals section. Huh :openmouth: (yes, never written here before, besides commenting on occasion).

I had a great day yesterday and wanted to share.
As some of you may know, I'm going to Bar-Ilan University next year to study archeology and another subject that I haven't decided yet. A friend of mine who just finished his BA in Historical Geography, which is also studied in BIU's archeology dept., sent me last a flier that said that the archology dept. is organizing a fieldtrip for tour guides and other people. For those who don't know (myself included, until last week), in Israel tour guides need to have a license, which is earned after taking classes in tour school (yes, this is a thing). To maintain the license, they need to go on such guide-specific fieldtrips every now and then. So this was one such trip, which the BIU archeology dept. decided to organize.

I'm not a guide, but I checked, and they said that people who are signed up to the department may also sign up, so I did.

The trip was archeology-oriented (duh?). We went to Tel Safi, which is biblical Gat, which some of you may recognize as one of the chief five Plishti (Phillistine) cities. Tel Safi is in its last year of excavations, after having been dug for 25 years now by Prof. Aren Maeir. They haven't managed to uncover everything yet, but Prof. Meir said he wants to take time off to properly record all of the findings.

In the tel, we had lectures by Prof. Maeir and Dr. Amit Dagan. Gat was not only the largest of the five Plishti cities, it was also quite likely the largest city in the whole Land of Israel during the Iron Age, with the upper city covering about 170 acres and the lower city about 400-500 acres. It's believed that about 5000 people lived there, making it an ancient-world megapolis. Gat was destroyed around 830 BCE by Chazael, king of Aram (a key player in the time of Eliyahu and Elisha and maker of the famous Tel Dan stele). After visiting some of the areas currently being excavated, we were split up between three areas and joined the diggers. I myself happened to be with a group of non-Israelis, including the archeologists who were in charge of that specific area. The lead archeologist in that area was Prof. Jeff Chadwick.

Here's one of the pottery shards I found:

upload_2021-7-23_9-26-32.jpeg

Afterwards, we went to eat lunch in the nearby kibbutz and then we helped wash some of the pottery shards:

upload_2021-7-23_9-30-3.png upload_2021-7-23_9-30-35.jpeg

After arriving back in Bar Ilan, I went to meet a friend of mine who's about to finish his BA there (not in archeology). Last time I was there, the library wasn't open to non-students due to Covid restrictions. Fortunately, now it is, so he gave me a tour of the library, which to me was exciting. For over a year now I've wanted to visit the National Library of Israel to check some hard-to-find books, but either I didn't have time, or wasn't able to, because of Covid. A downside of the NLI is that to access the books that I wanted to see, I would have had to ask for them to be brought from storage. And that's what's great about the BIU library, because they have copies of the books I wanted and they aren't in storage - they're right there on the shelves! So I plan on heading back there at least once next week.

And that was pretty much it.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
So this is the Journals section. Huh :openmouth: (yes, never written here before, besides commenting on occasion).

As some of you may know, I'm going to Bar-Ilan University next year to study archeology and another subject that I haven't decided yet. A friend of mine who just finished his BA in Historical Geography, which is also studied in BIU's archeology dept., sent me last a flier that said that the archology dept. is organizing a fieldtrip for tour guides and other people. For those who don't know (myself included, until last week), in Israel tour guides need to have a license, which is earned after taking classes in tour school (yes, this is a thing). To maintain the license, they need to go on such guide-specific fieldtrips every now and then. So this was one such trip, which the BIU archeology dept. decided to organize.

I'm not a guide, but I checked, and they said that people who are signed up to the department may also sign up, so I did.

The trip was archeology-oriented (duh?). We went to Tel Safi, which is biblical Gat, which some of you may recognize as one of the chief five Plishti (Phillistine) cities. Tel Safi is in its last year of excavations, after having been dug for 25 years now by Prof. Aren Maeir. They haven't managed to uncover everything yet, but Prof. Meir said he wants to take time off to properly record all of the findings.

In the tel, we had lectures by Prof. Meir and Dr. Amit Dagan. Gat was not only the largest of the five Plishti cities, it was also quite likely the largest city in the whole Land of Israel during the Iron Age, with the upper city covering about 170 acres and the lower city about 400-500 acres. It's believed that about 5000 people lived there, making it an ancient-world megapolis. Gat was destroyed around 830 BCE by Chazael, king of Aram (a key player in the time of Eliyahu and Elisha and maker of the famous Tel Dan stele). After visiting some of the areas currently being excavated, we were split up between three areas and joined the diggers. I myself happened to be with a group of non-Israelis, including the archeologists who were in charge of that specific area. The lead archeologist in that area was Prof. Jeff Chadwick.

View attachment 52978

Afterwards, we went to eat lunch in the nearby kibbutz and then we helped wash some of the pottery shards:

View attachment 52981 View attachment 52982

After arriving back in Bar Ilan, I went to meet a friend of mine who's about to finish his BA there (not in archeology). Last time I was there, the library wasn't open to non-students due to Covid restrictions. Fortunately, now it is, so he gave me a tour of the library, which to me was exciting. For over a year now I've wanted to visit the National Library of Israel to check some hard-to-find books, but either I didn't have time, or wasn't able to, because of Covid. A downside of the NLI is that to access the books that I wanted to see, I would have had to ask for them to be brought from storage. And that's what's great about the BIU library, because they have copies of the books I wanted and they aren't in storage - they're right there on the shelves! So I plan on heading back there at least once next week.

That sound really exciting:)
Thank you for sharing

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
That's very good news and that sounds like an awesome day indeed. Hope the course works out for you, Harel :)

Brian2

Veteran Member

In the tel, we had lectures by Prof. Maeir and Dr. Amit Dagan. Gat was not only the largest of the five Plishti cities, it was also quite likely the largest city in the whole Land of Israel during the Iron Age, with the upper city covering about 170 acres and the lower city about 400-500 acres. It's believed that about 5000 people lived there, making it an ancient-world megapolis. Gat was destroyed around 830 BCE by Chazael, king of Aram (a key player in the time of Eliyahu and Elisha and maker of the famous Tel Dan stele). After visiting some of the areas currently being excavated, we were split up between three areas and joined the diggers. I myself happened to be with a group of non-Israelis, including the archeologists who were in charge of that specific area. The lead archeologist in that area was Prof. Jeff Chadwick.

View attachment 52978

Tour guides are also licensed in India, and I wouldn't be surprised about other parts of the world also. No doubt it is a good thing for quality purposes and security purposed.
I hope you enjoy your tours.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
I love archeology. It is unbelievable how many treasures are still there, below our feet.
And this in every Mediterranean country.:);)
One of the archeologists told us that when they started digging the lower city, they found a lot of pieces of broken plows. They think that the Arabs who used to live in the area tried again and again to plow those fields in order to plant produce there, but were unsuccessful, and so they abandoned that area. They had no idea that the ground was so hard because an entire ancient stone city was lying underneath.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
One of the archeologists told us that when they started digging the lower city, they found a lot of pieces of broken plows. They think that the Arabs who used to live in the area tried again and again to plow those fields in order to plant produce there, but were unsuccessful, and so they abandoned that area. They had no idea that the ground was so hard because an entire ancient stone city was lying underneath.

Back when I was a child, in the nineties, we used to go to a beach next to which the ancient city of Helorus stood. After sunbathing we used to go on to the top of the little hill. It was fenceless back then. It was filled with Greek pottery shards. You know, the black ones.
Museums had so many ancient vases that they left all those relics.

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

View attachment 52978

Congrats!

I was on a dig back in 1998 at the edge of the highlands whereas we were excavating a cistern that had been occupied probably by "Zealots" but eventually taken over by the Roman legions and filled with sand so it couldn't be reused again. My wife and I both came up with Roman pottery (more ornate than the Jewish shards), and this cistern had been occupied fairly late in the 1st century bce.

Great experience, and I'm happy you've enjoyed yours!

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
That sounds great.

It makes me worry about what archeologists will find in my garbage, someday. Perhaps I should leave messages for archeologists in my garbage. I'll write "Please do not record or publish my garbage choices. All rights reserved."