• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A God Problem

night912

That is not really something I can explain. I just know by looking at the Person of Baha’u’llah, His life and mission and Writings.

So what's the difference compared to others?

Can you explain why? Keep in mind it could still be logically valid even if it is circular reasoning.
Just because an argument is valid, doesn't automatically mean that it is true. Logically valid is nothing if it's not sound. Which yours isn't.

Circular reasoning (Latin: circulus in probando, "circle in proving"; also known as circular logic) is a logical fallacy in which the reasoner begins with what they are trying to end with.[1] The components of a circular argument are often logically valid because if the premises are true, the conclusion must be true.
Circular reasoning - Wikipedia

Now you're just being dishonest. You didn't post the whole thing. You posted what you think would be in your favor. Here's the whole thing.

Circular reasoning (Latin: circulus in probando, "circle in proving";[1] also known as circular logic) is a logical fallacy in which the reasoner begins with what they are trying to end with.[2] The components of a circular argument are often logically valid because if the premises are true, the conclusion must be true. Circular reasoning is not a formal logical fallacy but a pragmatic defect in an argument whereby the premises are just as much in need of proof or evidence as the conclusion, and as a consequence the argument fails to persuade. Other ways to express this are that there is no reason to accept the premises unless one already believes the conclusion, or that the premises provide no independent ground or evidence for the conclusion.[3]Begging the question is closely related to circular reasoning, and in modern usage the two generally refer to the same thing.[4]

So your argument is circular. So you still need evidence .

No, I do not claim that they were Messengers, they claimed that. I just believed the claim.

Their lives, their mission, what they wrote or what was written by others on their behalf, and how their coming impacted civilization as well as the religions that were established in their names are not claims. They are verifiable facts.

Your argument/claim is that god exist. So to say that they are messengers of god is a claim not evidence. It's still claiming that god exist.

And you're confused about what evidence are needed to support an argument. The last part is only showing evidence that those people and their religion existed. It's not evidence for it being true nor is it evidence of the existence of god .

I have plenty of evidence to support my assertion that I have been betrayed by certain people. Do you want the number of the attorney who is handling my case?

Yes, I do want the number to your attorney so I can ask him/her, how this is evidence for you asserting that god cannot and will not betray humans. This is why your so called "evidence" for god is no evidence at all.

Do you have any evidence that God ever betrayed anyone?

I don't need evidence because I never made an assertion. I showed that your assertion was not the only possibility .

I know what the fallacy is. By the same token, just because you do not know something, that does not make it true.

Argument from ignorance asserts that a proposition is true because it has not yet been proven false or proposition is false because it has not yet been proven true. This represents a type of false dichotomy in that it excludes a third option, which is that there may have been an insufficient investigation, and therefore there is insufficient information to prove the proposition be either true or false. Argument from ignorance - Wikipedia

Do you have sufficient information to prove that God thrives on human suffering?

If you know the fallacy, then you know that your argument was an argument from ignorance.

Trying to shift the burden of proof because I refuted your argument isn't helping you.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
That is not really something I can explain. I just know by looking at the Person of Baha’u’llah, His life and mission and Writings.
What is it about all of that implies the existence of God?

What qualities does a person have to possess for us to validly say that the only way - or even the most likely way - that a person could have them is the actions of God?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Can you explain why? Keep in mind it could still be logically valid even if it is circular reasoning.
"Valid" doesn't mean "sound" or "factually correct."

For instance, this syllogism is valid:

- all lighter-than air things can float in the air.
- Trailblazer is a lighter-than-air thing.
- therefore, Trailblazer can float in the air.

A valid argument is only as true as its premises. A circular argument uses its conclusions as premises, so there's nothing in a circular argument that lets us say that its conclusions are true.

Jos

I don’t think God will punish anyone. Any punishment we incur will be owing to regrets we have at the loss of not having ever known God, thus not having known our true selves. We might also have regrets over any bad deeds we had done, such as hurting other people
Why just not create people whom He knew would reject Him and save them the pain?
We will be spirit beings after we die physically and our soul takes on a spiritual body. Then we will be able to be closer to God because the veil will be lifted. Meanwhile, in this earthly life we are material beings so we need a Messenger who acts as a mediator between us and God. He is a material being so we can understand Him, but since He is also a spiritual being, He can understand the Spirit of God, which is why He can mediate between God and humans.
But what about angels? Aren't they spirit beings who didn't have to be material beings?
God did not create humans imperfect.
So humans are perfect then? If humans were created with a perfect nature then we wouldn't be so fallible or make so many mistakes.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
So what's the difference compared to others?
Do you mean other religions or other Prophets (Messengers of God)? If so, the difference is that Baha’u’llah was the Messenger of God for this age in history, so His revelation is pertinent to this age. The older revelations from God have messages and social teachings and laws that were intended for previous dispensations, and they are no longer pertinent to this age. However, their spiritual teachings are just as relevant as they ever were, because the spiritual teachings of all the major religions are eternal.
Just because an argument is valid, doesn't automatically mean that it is true. Logically valid is nothing if it's not sound. Which yours isn't.
That is right. Logically valid doesn't automatically mean that it is true. Now, tell me WHY my reasoning is not sound. That sounds like a personal opinion of yours, not something you can actually prove. I have been down this road many, many times. Either prove what you assert or do not state it as an assertion, because it is a bald assertion unless you have proof. It is a bald assertion and a personal opinion.
Now you're just being dishonest. You didn't post the whole thing. You posted what you think would be in your favor. Here's the whole thing.
I was not being dishonest. I posted only what was pertinent to what I was saying. You implied that because I used circular reasoning my argument cannot be logical, and I just pointed out that a circular argument is often logically valid because if the premises are true, the conclusion must be true.

FYI, I am not trying to WIN anything here. I am just trying to have a respectful discussion. Why do some nonbelievers always have to make it about winning?
Circular reasoning (Latin: circulus in probando, "circle in proving";[1] also known as circular logic) is a logical fallacy in which the reasoner begins with what they are trying to end with.[2] The components of a circular argument are often logically valid because if the premises are true, the conclusion must be true. Circular reasoning is not a formal logical fallacy but a pragmatic defect in an argument whereby the premises are just as much in need of proof or evidence as the conclusion, and as a consequence the argument fails to persuade. Other ways to express this are that there is no reason to accept the premises unless one already believes the conclusion, or that the premises provide no independent ground or evidence for the conclusion.[3]Begging the question is closely related to circular reasoning, and in modern usage the two generally refer to the same thing.[4]

So your argument is circular. So you still need evidence.
Of course I need evidence to back up any premises I have or any conclusions I have come to. But if it fails to persuade YOU or anyone else, that does not mean it is not evidence. It is evidence to whoever is persuaded by it because it indicates that the belief is true TO THEM.
Your argument/claim is that god exist. So to say that they are messengers of god is a claim not evidence. It's still claiming that god exist.
It is the claim of the Messengers that God exists and that they represent God. It is not MY claim.
And you're confused about what evidence are needed to support an argument. The last part is only showing evidence that those people and their religion existed. It's not evidence for it being true nor is it evidence of the existence of god.
Their lives, their mission, what they wrote or what was written by others on their behalf, and how their coming impacted civilization as well as the religions that were established is evidence that the Messengers spoke for God, but it is not proof. Evidence is not the same as proof.

Evidence: the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid. https://www.google.com/search

Evidence: anything that helps to prove that something is or is not true:
EVIDENCE | definition in the Cambridge English Dictionary

Proof: evidence or argument establishing or helping to establish a fact or the truth of a statement: https://www.google.com/search

Nobody can ever prove that the Messengers of God spoke for God; only they know that since they were the only ones who experienced the communication. We can prove that to ourselves by looking at all the evidence but it can never be an established fact, it will always be a belief.
Yes, I do want the number to your attorney so I can ask him/her, how this is evidence for you asserting that god cannot and will not betray humans. This is why your so called "evidence" for god is no evidence at all.
I never said I had evidence from my attorney that God cannot and will not betray humans, I said I had evidence that humans can and do betray humans.
I don't need evidence because I never made an assertion. I showed that your assertion was not the only possibility.
Of course not, anything is possible. I did not make an assertion, I shared a belief.
“Do you have sufficient information to prove that God thrives on human suffering?”

If you know the fallacy, then you know that your argument was an argument from ignorance.

Trying to shift the burden of proof because I refuted your argument isn't helping you.
You did not refute anything I said, because you cannot prove that God thrives on human suffering. Your argument was an argument from ignorance because there is insufficient information to prove the proposition that God thrives on human suffering is true.
Argument from ignorance - Wikipedia

I am not arguing that the proposition that “God thrives on human suffering” is false, I just believe that it is false. There is no reason to believe it is true since there is no evidence whatsoever.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
What is it about all of that implies the existence of God?
It does not imply it, it indicates it.
What qualities does a person have to possess for us to validly say that the only way - or even the most likely way - that a person could have them is the actions of God?
I do not think that that could be said of anyone that the only way they could have certain qualities would be because of the actions of God, but I do think that it could be said of certain individuals that the most likely way would be because of the actions of God. However, those actions would have to be coupled with other evidence that would indicate they are from God.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
"Valid" doesn't mean "sound" or "factually correct."
For instance, this syllogism is valid:
- all lighter-than air things can float in the air.
- Trailblazer is a lighter-than-air thing.
- therefore, Trailblazer can float in the air.
A valid argument is only as true as its premises. A circular argument uses its conclusions as premises, so there's nothing in a circular argument that lets us say that its conclusions are true.
Can you explain if any arguments I have made have conclusions I have used as premises?

Can you explain why you think any arguments I have made are circular, if you do?

According to Wikipedia, if the premises are true, the conclusion must be true, but since no premises about God can ever be proven true, no conclusions can be proven true so I am not making an argument to prove God exists. God can never be proven to exist.

I never said that God exists because Baha’u’llah said that God exists. I never said that God exists because Baha’u’llah exists. Either one of those would be circular.

God either exists or not. It has nothing to do with what Baha’u’llah said about God. Baha’u’llah is just a Messenger, a way for us to know that God exists.

Obviously, if Baha’u’llah was a Messenger of God then God exists. In that case, Baha’u’llah exists because God exists.

Obviously, if God does not exist, then Baha’u’llah cannot be a Messenger of God.

But God could exist and not use Messengers, in which case Baha’u’llah was not a Messenger of God.

There are so many possibilities to choose from.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Why just not create people whom He knew would reject Him and save them the pain?
Because God wants to give us a choice to accept Him or reject Him.
But what about angels? Aren't they spirit beings who didn't have to be material beings?
No, I do not think so. I think that angels were material beings before they became angels because they had to earn their wings, and some angels are still material beings because they have not yet ascended to heaven.
“God did not create humans imperfect.”

So humans are perfect then? If humans were created with a perfect nature then we wouldn't be so fallible or make so many mistakes.
I did not say that humans ARE perfect, I said that humans were created perfect. However, we all have TWO natures, and we all have free will, so we all choose to act according to one of these natures, and by our choices and ensuing behavior, we start to differentiate ourselves, and we wind up on a continuum between good and evil.

“In man there are two natures; his spiritual or higher nature and his material or lower nature. In one he approaches God, in the other he lives for the world alone. Signs of both these natures are to be found in men. In his material aspect he expresses untruth, cruelty and injustice; all these are the outcome of his lower nature. The attributes of his Divine nature are shown forth in love, mercy, kindness, truth and justice, one and all being expressions of his higher nature. Every good habit, every noble quality belongs to man’s spiritual nature, whereas all his imperfections and sinful actions are born of his material nature. If a man’s Divine nature dominates his human nature, we have a saint.” Paris Talks, p. 60

Moreover, all imperfection comes from our physical nature, our spiritual nature is purely good.

Question.—In verse 22 of chapter 15 of 1 Corinthians it is written: “For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.” What is the meaning of these words?

Answer.—Know that there are two natures in man: the physical nature and the spiritual nature. The physical nature is inherited from Adam, and the spiritual nature is inherited from the Reality of the Word of God, which is the spirituality of Christ. The physical nature is born of Adam, but the spiritual nature is born from the bounty of the Holy Spirit. The first is the source of all imperfection; the second is the source of all perfection.

The Christ sacrificed Himself so that men might be freed from the imperfections of the physical nature and might become possessed of the virtues of the spiritual nature. This spiritual nature, which came into existence through the bounty of the Divine Reality, is the union of all perfections and appears through the breath of the Holy Spirit. It is the divine perfections; it is light, spirituality, guidance, exaltation, high aspiration, justice, love, grace, kindness to all, philanthropy, the essence of life. It is the reflection of the splendor of the Sun of Reality.
Some Answered Questions, p. 118

night912

I am not contradicting myself. I said that God only communicates to some humans because only some humans can understand God. God could communicate to everyone, but not everyone could understand God.
Yea, you are contradicting yourself and lying. If you want evidence, I'll show you .

God needs an intermediary because God cannot speak to humans directly, since God is not a material being. Humans need an intermediary because they could never understand communication from an ineffable God.

They are necessary because there can be no direct communication between God and man. The Messengers are human-like but they are also Godlike so they can bridge the gap between an ineffable God and humans. Messengers have a divine mind so they can understand, receive and communicate messages from God to humans in a way that humans can understand them.

And being human-like means that they are not human, only possessing characteristics of humans.

Muffled

Jesus in me
The day I meet someone with a firm handle on either concept, I'll be sure to ask them what they think of this.

The day I meet someone with a firm handle on both concepts, I'll actually pay attention to their answer.

I don't expect either of those things to happen in here any time soon. :D

I believe I qualify and I believe in God and reason and that they are compatible.

Muffled

Jesus in me
The biggest problem with this alleged Revelation of Baha’u’llah, is not even THAT can be adequately verified as to it authenticity, other than what Baha’u’llah says and wrote.
IOW, Baha’u’llah can be verified, but not necessarily the veracity of what he has said, pertaining to his SOURCE.

I believe I have never witnessed the B man giving God as his source.

ACEofALLaces

Premium Member
I believe that does not answer the question. God is able to communicate spiritually through the spirit in Adam.
Cute......however, going along with the Adam and Eve story as though it were a factual accounting of a real-time event, once Eve and then Adam partook of that forbidden fruit, they did NOT die physically as most readers would presume.
According to the apologists, Adam and Eve suffered "SPIRITUAL" deaths.
Ok, if THAT be the case, how was it possible for God to have communicated with their spirits, if indeed their spirits were DEAD?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Trailblazer said: I am not contradicting myself. I said that God only communicates to some humans because only some humans can understand God. God could communicate to everyone, but not everyone could understand God.

night912 said: Yea, you are contradicting yourself and lying. If you want evidence, I'll show you.

Trailblazer said: God needs an intermediary because God cannot speak to humans directly, since God is not a material being. Humans need an intermediary because they could never understand communication from an ineffable God.

They are necessary because there can be no direct communication between God and man. The Messengers are human-like but they are also Godlike so they can bridge the gap between an ineffable God and humans. Messengers have a divine mind so they can understand, receive and communicate messages from God to humans in a way that humans can understand them.

night912 said: And being human-like means that they are not human, only possessing characteristics of humans.
I do not appreciate being called a liar, because I do not lie. If I said something that seems contradictory, the best way to straighten that out is to try and clarify what I meant by what I said. Saying I lied implies I deliberately tried to deceive you, and such is certainly not the case.

I am sorry for this misunderstanding and I will take the blame for it. These things happen. When I said “some humans” I meant Messengers of God, who are human, but unlike ordinary humans.

Human-like was the wrong choice of words. Rather, Messengers of God are humans who are Godlike in the sense that they have a divine mind. Their divine station is not something we ordinary humans can comprehend, but we can understand their human station, and that is why they can bridge the gap between God and ordinary humans and act as mediators.

The best way to try to straighten this out is with a direct quote from Baha’u’llah.

“And since there can be no tie of direct intercourse to bind the one true God with His creation, and no resemblance whatever can exist between the transient and the Eternal, the contingent and the Absolute, He hath ordained that in every age and dispensation a pure and stainless Soul be made manifest in the kingdoms of earth and heaven. Unto this subtle, this mysterious and ethereal Being He hath assigned a twofold nature; the physical, pertaining to the world of matter, and the spiritual, which is born of the substance of God Himself. He hath, moreover, conferred upon Him a double station. The first station, which is related to His innermost reality, representeth Him as One Whose voice is the voice of God Himself............. The second station is the human station, exemplified by the following verses: “I am but a man like you.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 66-67

In short, there can be no direct communication between God and ordinary humans. God is exalted beyond the understanding of ordinary humans so they cannot receive or understand messages from God.

The Manifestation of God (what I refer to as a Messenger) is a pure and stainless Soul who is made manifest in the kingdoms of earth and heaven. He is made of the substance of God Himself so He is not just an ordinary human, He is another order of Creation above a human. Because he has qualities of both God and man, He can act as a mediator between God and man and He has the capacity to receive and understand communication from God and relay it back to ordinary humans in a way that they can comprehend it.

night912

I do not appreciate being called a liar, because I do not lie. If I said something that seems contradictory, the best way to straighten that out is to try and clarify what I meant by what I said. Saying I lied implies I deliberately tried to deceive you, and such is certainly not the case.

I am sorry for this misunderstanding and I will take the blame for it. These things happen. When I said “some humans” I meant Messengers of God, who are human, but unlike ordinary humans.

Human-like was the wrong choice of words. Rather, Messengers of God are humans who are Godlike in the sense that they have a divine mind. Their divine station is not something we ordinary humans can comprehend, but we can understand their human station, and that is why they can bridge the gap between God and ordinary humans and act as mediators.

The best way to try to straighten this out is with a direct quote from Baha’u’llah.

“And since there can be no tie of direct intercourse to bind the one true God with His creation, and no resemblance whatever can exist between the transient and the Eternal, the contingent and the Absolute, He hath ordained that in every age and dispensation a pure and stainless Soul be made manifest in the kingdoms of earth and heaven. Unto this subtle, this mysterious and ethereal Being He hath assigned a twofold nature; the physical, pertaining to the world of matter, and the spiritual, which is born of the substance of God Himself. He hath, moreover, conferred upon Him a double station. The first station, which is related to His innermost reality, representeth Him as One Whose voice is the voice of God Himself............. The second station is the human station, exemplified by the following verses: “I am but a man like you.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 66-67

In short, there can be no direct communication between God and ordinary humans. God is exalted beyond the understanding of ordinary humans so they cannot receive or understand messages from God.

The Manifestation of God (what I refer to as a Messenger) is a pure and stainless Soul who is made manifest in the kingdoms of earth and heaven. He is made of the substance of God Himself so He is not just an ordinary human, He is another order of Creation above a human. Because he has qualities of both God and man, He can act as a mediator between God and man and He has the capacity to receive and understand communication from God and relay it back to ordinary humans in a way that they can comprehend it.

He is not human, hence the contradiction in your argument.

He's an order of creation above humans, so that would make him not human. And since he has traits of both god and humans, being godlike and human-like, being able to communicate with god and humans coherently. That would make him superior to god.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
He is not human, hence the contradiction in your argument.

He's an order of creation above humans, so that would make him not human. And since he has traits of both god and humans, being godlike and human-like, being able to communicate with god and humans coherently. That would make him superior to god.
I said “Human-like was the wrong choice of words. Rather, Messengers of God are humans who are Godlike in the sense that they have a divine mind.”

So, He was not human-like, He was human.

From the passage I quoted:

“The second station is the human station, exemplified by the following verses: “I am but a man like you.”

Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 67

He was a human who was different from an ordinary human since in His innermost reality He represented the voice of God Himself; just as a human is an animal, but different from an animal, since humans possess qualities that animals do not possess given they have a soul.

I never said that Baha’u’llah could communicate with God; I only ever said that God communicated to Him.

Jos

Because God wants to give us a choice to accept Him or reject Him.
Right but He already knows beforehand what's gonna happen so it's pointless.
I did not say that humans ARE perfect, I said that humans were created perfect. However, we all have TWO natures, and we all have free will, so we all choose to act according to one of these natures, and by our choices and ensuing behavior, we start to differentiate ourselves, and we wind up on a continuum between good and evil.
If we were created perfect then how'd we become imperfect? It doesn't make sense for a perfect being to become imperfect.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
“Because God wants to give us a choice to accept Him or reject Him.”

Right but He already knows beforehand what's gonna happen so it's pointless.

But what God knows is not what determines what will happen. What determines that is what we choose to do.
“I did not say that humans ARE perfect, I said that humans were created perfect. However, we all have TWO natures, and we all have free will, so we all choose to act according to one of these natures, and by our choices and ensuing behavior, we start to differentiate ourselves, and we wind up on a continuum between good and evil.”

If we were created perfect then how'd we become imperfect? It doesn't make sense for a perfect being to become imperfect.
We all have free will, so we can choose to act according to one of our two natures, our spiritual or higher nature and our material or lower nature. By our choices and ensuing behavior, we start to differentiate ourselves, and we wind up on a continuum between good and evil.

“In man there are two natures; his spiritual or higher nature and his material or lower nature. In one he approaches God, in the other he lives for the world alone. Signs of both these natures are to be found in men. In his material aspect he expresses untruth, cruelty and injustice; all these are the outcome of his lower nature. The attributes of his Divine nature are shown forth in love, mercy, kindness, truth and justice, one and all being expressions of his higher nature. Every good habit, every noble quality belongs to man’s spiritual nature, whereas all his imperfections and sinful actions are born of his material nature. If a man’s Divine nature dominates his human nature, we have a saint.” Paris Talks, p. 60

THE TWO NATURES IN MAN

Jos

But what God knows is not what determines what will happen. What determines that is what we choose to do.
I'm not saying it will determine what will happen but it's all pointless if there's someone ie. God who already knows what's gonna happen anyway.
We all have free will, so we can choose to act according to one of our two natures, our spiritual or higher nature and our material or lower nature. By our choices and ensuing behavior, we start to differentiate ourselves, and we wind up on a continuum between good and evil.
So we have a perfect and imperfect nature?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I'm not saying it will determine what will happen but it's all pointless if there's someone ie. God who already knows what's gonna happen anyway.
Why would it matter what God knows? God's knowledge does not affect us in any way.
So we have a perfect and imperfect nature?
Not exactly. What we have is a spiritual nature that has the potential to be noble and good, but not perfect, because only God is perfect; and we have a material nature that has the potential to be selfish, sinful and imperfect.