• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A glimpse into the future. Automated police.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

What would it take to make these things absolutely terrifying?

Bonus questions.. Would you listen to a bucket of electronics if it starts ordering you around? And what if you resist? What do you think the capabilities of these things will be in say 10 20 50 a hundred years into the future?

Samael_Khan

Goosebender

Bonus questions.. Would you listen to a bucket of electronics if it starts ordering you around? And what if you resist? What do you think the capabilities of these things will be say 10 20 50 a hundred years into the future?

I think automated police would be great, as long as they cannot be hacked. They certainly wouldn't be able to be bribed so you wouldn't get corrupt cops. There also wouldn't be so must collateral damage. I think robots would be essential in order to eliminate crime as justly as possible because they are more accurate.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Bonus questions.. Would you listen to a bucket of electronics if it starts ordering you around? And what if you resist? What do you think the capabilities of these things will be in say 10 20 50 a hundred years into the future?

Well, on the positive side, the world would continue it's march into a complete lack of nuance.
Oh...wait...that's not positive.

Ultimately it will depend on how they are used, etc.
In some ways, we already do use electronic 'cops' for some things.

We have speed cameras, and red light cameras, both of which are kinda positive if used in the right manner.
We also have things like automated fraud detection on credit cards which is much more effective than humans in detecting possible white collar crime, and protecting people from it.

But the idea of a Robocop is a little scary, I have to admit. I would assume they'd make them colour-blind, though, so there is that.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I think automated police would be great, as long as they cannot be hacked. They certainly wouldn't be able to be bribed so you wouldn't get corrupt cops. There also wouldn't be so must collateral damage. I think robots would be essential in order to eliminate crime as justly as possible because they are more accurate.

Yeah, but robot cops are pretty easy to disable, ultimately. All you need to do is kick them in the nuts.

Bahahahahahahahahahaha!

Anything connected to the internet can be hacked.

It is yet to be proven that they would be 'more accurate'. All kinds of biases can be be programmed in to such systems, and this will be combined with imperfect technology that is also subject to error. And this is assuming that whoever is creating them is trying to be as accurate as possible, which is certainly not a given.

Lack of accountability is also a problem. Who is to blame if a robot harms an innocent person?

It's certainly not a panacea for all ills.

Heyo

Veteran Member

It depends entirely on who is using them. If your intention is to have a brutal, racist, irresponsible police force, robots will do that more efficient than men.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
Anything connected to the internet can be hacked.

It is yet to be proven that they would be 'more accurate'. All kinds of biases can be be programmed in to such systems, and this will be combined with imperfect technology that is also subject to error. And this is assuming that whoever is creating them is trying to be as accurate as possible, which is certainly not a given.

Lack of accountability is also a problem. Who is to blame if a robot harms an innocent person?

It's certainly not a panacea for all ills.

I would say that it is better than human error and corruption. We just would have to find a way to make them fool proof.

Then there is also the Terminator scenario....

exchemist

Veteran Member

Someone's been reading "Fahrenheit 451". This is the mechanical hound. Life imitates art, again.

In the book, it has a sense of smell, can track down fugitives and administers lethal injection by mean of a hypodermic proboscis. It wouldn't take much, technically speaking, to equip this hound with at least a tranquiliser dart gun. And IR cameras would also enable it (and it's fat, burger-eating operator at the police station;)) to see at night. So yeah, quite creepy.

All it would need then is an algorithm for determining skin colour in the dark, et voila........ :D

P.S. I notice however that this report is from Putin's propaganda organ, so it may be worth checking the facts with a recognised source.

Heyo

Veteran Member
P.S. I notice however that this report is from Putin's propaganda organ, so it may be worth checking the facts with a recognised source.
I found that RT is pretty reliable. They are working hard at not be seen as a propaganda site. (And it is much more convincing to tell the truth. You can still influence by simply choosing what to report and what not.)

exchemist

Veteran Member
I found that RT is pretty reliable. They are working hard at not be seen as a propaganda site. (And it is much more convincing to tell the truth. You can still influence by simply choosing what to report and what not.)
I have no doubt they are working hard on how they are seen.

But nobody should believe that a state-funded broadcaster in Putin's Russia is at all likely to be impartial.
Just read the Wiki article on them: RT (TV network) - Wikipedia

I don't say this particular article is wrong, but I do think anything you see on RT needs to be corroborated by a reliable source, before it is accepted at face value.

Heyo

Veteran Member
I have no doubt they are working hard on how they are seen.

But nobody should believe that a state-funded broadcaster in Putin's Russia is at all likely to be impartial.
Just read the Wiki article on them: RT (TV network) - Wikipedia

I don't say this particular article is wrong, but I do think anything you see on RT needs to be corroborated by a reliable source, before it is accepted at face value.
Like any other news site. Some have a better reputation at staying at the facts than others. If Fox News reports it, you know it's probably fake, when BBC reports it, it is probably true. RT is in between.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Remember ED-209?

Thief

Rogue Theologian

did see a science fiction plot about that idea

the bots looked more like large roaches
and they would hunt
relentlessly