• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A ghost in the office

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Have you ever had weird things happen in the office while at work?

Every time I go to work (I'm at work now watching the clock to get off staring at a computer screen) and all of the sudden our big copier just turns on and starts printing documents. It's almost 12 am and there's only one other office but it's locked.

So, have you ever had that before? Office machines just turn on to print stuff? Maybe a timer? The printer got delayed 24 hours after the office closed for the week?

Insight?

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
My dad used to use Siri on the family iPad a lot. It had a button where you pressed it and then Siri said something and gave you a chance to talk.

The day after he died, that Siri went off on its own while no one was on the iPad for 4 different times.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
At my old job, one of the residents had a monitor he could use to communicate with the staff on if he needed assistance while in bed. Many of the staff reported hearing a young girl talk over it from time to time...

Never thought much of it. My guitar amp used to pick up the neighbor's cordless phone conversations. Figured it was probably something similar.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
My dad used to use Siri on the family iPad a lot. It had a button where you pressed it and then Siri said something and gave you a chance to talk.

The day after he died, that Siri went off on its own while no one was on the iPad for 4 different times.

Wow. Where you guys close? Sounds like he's keeping in contact.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
When I worked on an old Naval base (was built around 1911), I would be working the overnight shift, and I would hear footsteps in the building I was in, even though it would be only me in the building, as the doors were all locked for the night.

nPeace

Veteran Member

Every time I go to work (I'm at work now watching the clock to get off staring at a computer screen) and all of the sudden our big copier just turns on and starts printing documents. It's almost 12 am and there's only one other office but it's locked.

So, have you ever had that before? Office machines just turn on to print stuff? Maybe a timer? The printer got delayed 24 hours after the office closed for the week?

Insight?
Don't get the jitters Artist. These ghost stories got you spooked. You ain't seen nothing yet. :D
Someone left a action in the queue. That all.
If not that, computer malfunction.
Relax. ;)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

Insight?
I have not had a typical office episode but i have experienced doors open on their own before i reach them ( no not those with automatically opener )
In paraspycology they could try to find explanation for why the door open on its own.
Sometimes they find a plausible cause that it is not paranormal, but Sometimes they have no answer :)

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
As mentioned, it can be down to queueing (and priorities) or perhaps an electrical spike. No need for ghost in the machine to explain.

exchemist

Veteran Member

Insight?
This isn't very mysterious. Printers may be connected to many people's laptops and often those people's computers are connected to both an office printer and a home printer. When I was still working, I sometimes accidentally printed to the wrong printer when working from home on the company laptop.

Also it is common now to fit printers with a timer, to save energy. If a job is sent to the printer while it is off, it may sit in a print queue and then get printed when the timer switches on.

This appears to be an example of how something mundane can be taken for a paranormal event, by a person predisposed to see paranormal events.;)

exchemist

Veteran Member
When I worked on an old Naval base (was built around 1911), I would be working the overnight shift, and I would hear footsteps in the building I was in, even though it would be only me in the building, as the doors were all locked for the night.
This is also a known thing. There was something similar at my brother's boarding school, in the dormitory. A creaking sound, like footsteps, would proceed slowly from one end to the long room to the other, even though there was nobody moving about. It turned out it was due to a central heating pipe, running under the floor, that cooled down and started to contract when the heating was turned off at night.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Don't get the jitters Artist. These ghost stories got you spooked. You ain't seen nothing yet. :D
Someone left a action in the queue. That all.
If not that, computer malfunction.
Relax. ;)

Haha. It's fine. It happens all the time. I was looking in the print actions but the only print jobs that were listed were the two documents I was trying to print. They didn't print so I guess they will 48 hours later. My co-worker and I always wondered about that in the wee-hours. It's interesting though.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I have not had a typical office episode but i have experienced doors open on their own before i reach them ( no not those with automatically opener )
In paraspycology they could try to find explanation for why the door open on its own.
Sometimes they find a plausible cause that it is not paranormal, but Sometimes they have no answer :)

I don't know. Mother has that too. I never had that happen. I'd think it might and realize it's just the air down the hall pushing the door open. I don't really assign ghost like experiences in any sense of the word to those I don't understand. But it it's a curious thing.

Last edited:

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

That would have peobably unsettled the heck out of me. How did you react to that? And did you ever have any possible explanation for the sounds?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
This isn't very mysterious. Printers may be connected to many people's laptops and often those people's computers are connected to both an office printer and a home printer. When I was still working, I sometimes accidentally printed to the wrong printer when working from home on the company laptop.

Also it is common now to fit printers with a timer, to save energy. If a job is sent to the printer while it is off, it may sit in a print queue and then get printed when the timer switches on.

This appears to be an example of how something mundane can be taken for a paranormal event, by a person predisposed to see paranormal events.;)

Haha. Yeah. To add to that last comment, think of it if it's a personal experience. Objectivity goes out the door even though the experience may have the same earthy explanation. The personal nature of that "same" experience leads one not to question it.

I don't know about the work station at home since it's an old copier, never know. Though, the timer thing that could be. I didn't see it in the print manager. I tried to print some things but didn't go through so it's probably backed up with other documents.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
That would have peobably unsettled the heck out of me. How did you react to that? And did you ever have any possible explanation for the sounds?

No, never an official explanation. It could have been the old building settling, or it could have been a former Sailor walking the halls at night as a ghost. I never saw much more then the occasional shadow out of the corner of my eye.

A couple of years ago I was running a cash-register in a store, and, twice during the course of the same day, I distinctly felt a puff of air behind me, like someone was blowing on the back of my neck. It was that localized. I would turn around to see who was goofing off with me, but nobody was within range.

Other times, we've had the bell go off that cashiers activate when they need assistance at their registers, but no cashier had pressed their button to sound the bell -- it seemingly went off on its own.

One co-worker actually saw something mist-like that was otherwise unexplained in the back of the store where only employees are permitted to go.