• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A genealogy question/challenge ...

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Who were the parents of Sarah Elizabeth Crockett (b. 1780; d. 1853)?

And, no, they were not the parents of Davy Crockett.​

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
Who were the parents of Sarah Elizabeth Crockett (b. 1780; d. 1853)?

And, no, they were not the parents of Davy Crockett.​
Apparently there has been a fair amount of interest among family members without any definitive answer to the question. I certainly cannot provide an answer. What piqued your interest in the matter?

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Sorry, I no longer have the ability to do much genealogical research, but I can contribute this from my past experience. When I was doing such research for my own family's ancestry, I discovered that while some lines could be traced back for many, many generations, often there was an abrupt brick wall...individuals who had no record of parents or of a birth, but simply appeared somewhere.

Simple lost records can be one of the reasons, but there are others, such as illegitimacy, or slavery. It was also easier to adopt centuries ago, and many adoptees simply took on the new parents' names with no formal declarations being made. But people often drop and enter into the records because they wanted to stop being who they were, moved to another place, and took on a new name.

Not sure if that's any help. Is there something in particular that should make this person known to us?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Apparently there has been a fair amount of interest among family members without any definitive answer to the question. I certainly cannot provide an answer. What piqued your interest in the matter?
She's a fourth great grandmother.

Nous

Premium Member
I know of zero evidence to support the claim.
What claim?

Do you have any evidence about Sarah Elizabeth Crockett (such as where she was born; who she married, if she was married; who her children were, if she had children)?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
What claim?
Good grief!

This thread asks:

Who were the parents of Sarah Elizabeth Crockett (b. 1780; d. 1853)? ...

Your Geni link claims that her parents were: John Wesley Crockett and Not Rebecca Crockett. Had you folowed the John Wesley Crockett link you might have scrolled down and read the following:

Note that Sarah Goodgame (Crockett) is NOT one of the known children listed above, so she and other unproven siblings have been moved to the following location until we can figure out where they really belong: Not Rebecca Crockett

It would have been far better had the author told us that Sarah's parents were Mr. and Mrs. TBD Crockett since, as far as I know, there is absolutely nothing linking her to John Wesley.

FWIW, one of the more informative summaries I've encountered to-date is Maring's Re: Parents of Sarah Crockett Goodgame.

Nous

Premium Member
Good grief!

This thread asks:

Your Geni link claims that her parents were: John Wesley Crockett and Not Rebecca Crockett. Had you folowed the John Wesley Crockett link you might have scrolled down and read the following:

It would have been far better had the author told us that Sarah's parents were Mr. and Mrs. TBD Crockett since, as far as I know, there is absolutely nothing linking her to John Wesley.
Ah, I did not click the link on John Wesley Crockett. Yes, the web page is misleading.