• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A form of polygamy???

PHOTOTAKER

i am lessoning to a talk on CD and there was a comment on it that kind of struck me. that a "rock star" had three children. now this might not be all too uncommon, but he had one child with a women in virginia another child with a different women in new york and another child with a women in england. eventhough he never married any one the these women.

could this be considered a form of polygamy??
dose this make it right??
dose this destroy society and human desontcy??
could this be considered a lie and deceitful if this person never told the other womans that he had kids??
dose this action of this man limit the free will of the women affected??
is there any other forms of polygamy??

standing_alone

PHOTOTAKER said:

Seems more like plain, old promiscuity to me. Polygamy is having more than one other spouse (thus entailing marriage), isn't it? Also, it's pretty common for rock stars to sleep around.

I don't know if there's anything wrong with it, as long as he's helping to support the mothers and the children.

I really don't think so. There are worse things out there that are a threat to society other than a rock star and his bast*rd (not the derogatory form) children.

could this be considered a lie and deceitful if this person never told the other womans that he had kids??

Was he in some sort of relationship (other than a casual, sexual one) with these women or were the children merely the result of one night stands?

I don't think so. They chose to have sex with him, didn't they?

Fluffy

A fool
Hmmm not really. Polygamy is specifically marriage between more than 2 people. If they were all living together then I would be more inclined to say it is polygamy but this seems to be more a case of 3 seperate relationships that all happen to share an individual. Polygamy is more complex than that.

If there are no facts left out then I wouldn't say that this is either right or wrong. It is amoral. As long as no one is harmed, it is amoral.

No absolutely not. If everyone did it then it may destroy society as we know it but that is not a bad thing, just different. Human decency seems to be unaffected as long as everyone involved is happy with the matter.

Yes that is the definition of a lie surely? If that is the case here then I would definitely consider this to be immoral.

No they can still do whatever they want. Perhaps they have agreed to give up some freedom upon entering into the relationship (most people do) and perhaps the amount of freedom they have given up is disproportional to the amount that the man has given up. As long as they freely chose and are not forced to continue in the relationship then I don't think it matters.

Considering I don't think this is one, yes.

PHOTOTAKER

now what if for instance that this rock star wanted to marry the three women to suport them and care for them after they all had children. should this be done is it wrong?

and this isn't nessary rock stars but there are alot of people who cheat and have kids.

PHOTOTAKER

Was he in some sort of relationship (other than a casual, sexual one) with these women or were the children merely the result of one night stands?

i don't know, it was said that he was prowed of doing it...

PHOTOTAKER

do you both belive that a person should do as he or she pleases within the laws of the world or do you thank that people should live to a higher human standard not as wild animals?

astarath

Polygamy is going through the ceremony of marriage with multiple partners,
This is a case of adultery, plain cut and sinful.

standing_alone

PHOTOTAKER said:
now what if for instance that this rock star wanted to marry the three women to suport them and care for them after they all had children. should this be done is it wrong?

Well, under our current laws he could only marry one of the mothers. I'm sure he would have to pay some form of child support to all the mothers, but I could be mistaken.

do you both belive that a person should do as he or she pleases within the laws of the world or do you thank that people should live to a higher human standard not as wild animals?

Well, I believe that it's up to the individual to decide to behave however he/she pleases within the law, though I would perhaps wish he/she would hold himself/herself to some higher standard. My morals may be different than someone else's, and though I may desire people to live monogamously (for example), others may not have that same desire and as long as there is consent involved and no one is being harmed, it's not my place to make swift moral judgements about such behavior or apply force to change it.

A

angellous_evangellous

Polygamy is having more than one other spouse (thus entailing marriage), isn't it?

Truck drivers, pilots, and ship captains have been known on occasion to actually marry several women in different states/countries, and have entire familes.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
PHOTOTAKER said:
i am lessoning to a talk on CD and there was a comment on it that kind of struck me. that a "rock star" had three children. now this might not be all too uncommon, but he had one child with a women in virginia another child with a different women in new york and another child with a women in england. eventhough he never married any one the these women.

I think I'd call it sleeping around.
No.
In my opinion, yes.
If that were the case, sure. Is it the case?
Hmm. I'm not sure what you mean.
To me, this isn't a form of polygamy, so I'd have to say no.