• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Follow Up On Neutrinos

Leonardo

correct me if im wrong, but isnt that, not quantum mechanics??? but rather the speed the electron moves?

No, the electron's motion is described by quantum mechanics and the events measured are the electrons jumping orbits in reaction to the absorption of photons.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
If I remember correctly, the first set of tests was explained due, ironically enough, to not taking relativity into account when they were measuring the speeds. (The satellites they were using as their stopwatch were moving relatively slower than the neutrinos, causing an incorrect reading... or something like that; physics isn't my strong suit.) In the article cited in the OP, it states that they changed the experiment so that the neutrinos were bunched closer together, allowing for better accuracy in measuring when they get there. But there was no mention of the satellite timing issue. Does anyone know anything about that?

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
If I remember correctly, the first set of tests was explained due, ironically enough, to not taking relativity into account when they were measuring the speeds. (The satellites they were using as their stopwatch were moving relatively slower than the neutrinos, causing an incorrect reading... or something like that; physics isn't my strong suit.) In the article cited in the OP, it states that they changed the experiment so that the neutrinos were bunched closer together, allowing for better accuracy in measuring when they get there. But there was no mention of the satellite timing issue. Does anyone know anything about that?
The guy who said that didn't know his physics. That's not the issue.