• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A fitting Easter question

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
The calender Moses used was not from the pagan nations.

Actually, I think you'll find that the Hebrew calander shares similarities with several ancient calanders, most notably the Egyptian and Sumerian calanders. Scholars were surprised to find the Hebrew and Japanese calanders similar as well. Matter of fact, our own modern calander is based on the Egyptian calander too, the Egyptian calander has 365 days. There's a myth about how it used to be 360, but then Djehuty (Thoth) made 5 extra days with the moon's light.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Didn't the Jewish calender run from new moon to new moon?
Genesis 7:11,24; 8:3,4.
Isaiah 66:23 Hebrew word chodhesh 'month' Gen 7:11, comes from a root meaning 'new' or 'new moon' 1Sam 20:27, while another word for month yerach means lunation.
In the Bible months were usually counted as 30 days.
With the sacred year beginning in Abib or Nisan Exodus 12:2; 13:4, so they had a duel system of sacred and secular or an agricultural calendar used by the people.
Ex 23:16; 34:22; Lev 23:34; Deut 16:13.

logician

The calender Moses used was not from the pagan nations.
Actually Passover has to do with the Jewish lunar calender not the sun.
That is why the Passover does not come on the same exact date or day of the week. So the anniversary date of what's called Good Friday would no more fall on a Friday each year any more than one's wedding anniversary would fall on the same day of the week.
Luke 22:19

Come up, give me a break, Easter has to do with spring and the renewal of life.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Come up, give me a break, Easter has to do with spring and the renewal of life.

Exactly. The only celebration Jesus commanded is at Luke 22:19 to remember Jesus by the annual passing of the bread and wine.
No where did Jesus command his resurrection become a festival.
Neither did first century Christians celebrate Jesus resurrection.

logician

Exactly. The only celebration Jesus commanded is at Luke 22:19 to remember Jesus by the annual passing of the bread and wine.
No where did Jesus command his resurrection become a festival.
Neither did first century Christians celebrate Jesus resurrection.

I don't think Jesus existed, Christianity took in many pagan beliefs.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I don't think Jesus existed, Christianity took in many pagan beliefs.

True, after the end of the first century, or first-century Christianity ended, the churches took in many pagan beliefs and practices outside of first-century Christianity and blended those pagan ideas with Christian names or labels.
Mark 7:7,13; Matt 15:9

Luke made reference that would happen. Wolf-like clergy dressed in sheep's clothing would enter in among the flock and fleece it. -Acts 20:29,30

Jesus also forewarned that two groups would grow together until our day.
One group would be Wheat or genuine followers of Christ and the other group would be Weed [tares] or false Christians in name only.
"Many" would come in Jesus name but prove false according to Matt chap 7.

Rainbow Mage

Yes, the Egyptian calander also runs from new moon to new moon, as does the Japanese calander. Look it up sometime.

The lunar calendar is still widely used and important in Korea, more so than in Japan.

As for Jesus' resurrection, I think the disciples were sincere in their belief that Jesus had physically resurrected. But I believe it was Jesus in spirit, not his literal physical body.

logician

The lunar calendar is still widely used and important in Korea, more so than in Japan.

As for Jesus' resurrection, I think the disciples were sincere in their belief that Jesus had physically resurrected. But I believe it was Jesus in spirit, not his literal physical body.

This certainly doesn't fit the biblical account.

linwood

My question is this: If we aren't meant to be selling things in places of worship, then why are their rummage sales inside churches all the time?

It was a matter of what they were selling.

It was tradition that one make a sacrifice to Yahweh when at Temple.

The high priests would only allow certain animals to be sacrificed.
They required that these animals be bought from vendors at the temple instead of an adherent being allowed to use his own animal.

Jesus didn`t like the priests running such a blatant money making scam in his fathers house.

He got ***** and turned over some vendors tables then told the priests off.

It depends what part of the biblical account you're looking at. That Jesus could suddenly appear to his disciples within a closed room, and that he was at times unrecognizable by them, is more consistent with a spirit than a physical body. To his disciples he appeared substantial, and he ate food in front of them, but the angels that visited Abraham in a Genesis account are reported to have eaten food as well. Also, Jacob wrestled with an angel at a river crossing.

How about the parts where it says that his tomb was physically empty?

I don't know what happened to his body. But it wasn't his empty tomb that convinced his disciples of his resurrection. Mary Magdalene inquired as to where they had taken the body, so this was the initial reaction. Only meeting Jesus face to face was enough to convince them.

Rainbow Mage

I personally don't believe the ressurection happened. Now could Jesus be something akin to a national ancestor that Christians have come to venerate? Yes. There are what we call national ancestors in many other religions, or saints, as Catholics call them. In Mahayana Buddhism we call them Bodhisattvas. In Kemetic Orthodoxy they are called national akhu. I find Christianity in my observation, traditional Christianity anyway, to be very based in ancestor veneration.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member

Check: Luke 24:11, 13-48, and John 20:19-29

The spirit resurrected Jesus made many appearances using materialized bodies.

~see also Matt 28:3-15; Mark 16:5-8; Luke 24:4-12; John 20:2-18

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
So the second coming is going to be the zombie apocalypse?

The Transfiguration Vision was to show Jesus future 'glory' in kingdom power.

The setting of Matthew 25:31; 16:27 is the time of Jesus 'glory' when he will separate people living on earth at that time. First, Jesus with invisible angelic armies [Rev 19:14,15] will rid the earth of all wickedness by the words from his mouth being as sharp as an executioner's sword against those against opposing God. Those placed at Jesus right hand of favor [Matt 25:37] will remain alive and keep right on living into the start of Jesus peaceful thousand year rule over earth when Jesus will fulfill the promise to Abraham [ Gen 12:3; 22:17,18; Rev 22:2] that all families of the earth will be blessed, and all nations of the earth will be blessed.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
My question is this: If we aren't meant to be selling things in places of worship, then why are their rummage sales inside churches all the time?
Jesus criticized what was going on in the temple. There is a difference between a temple and an ordinary place of worship.