• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A few dozen poems writen during my un-medicated daze

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Glimpses of reality

The universe is a fathomless mystery
Or at least that is the way it appears to me
Galaxies, black holes, space, time and stars
Kittens and babies and fruit stored in jars

Some see the universe as a single thought
A moment of inspiration from some divine source
Those cosmologists tell us it continues to grow
Some of its secrets we just may never know

I often look up into the sky late at night
Watching each star as it sends down its light
This light may have traveled for billions of years
To reach my eyes which rest between my ears

I can get lost in wonder at this infinite view
There must be some nights you feel this way too
I picture a distant figure doing the same
Maybe one day he will call out my name

The universe within is at least as fantastic
Brain, heart and lungs and skin that's elastic
This skin is stretched tight over our muscles and bones
Allowing us to walk, talk and use mobile phones

Skin is also waterproof which is really quite neat
Otherwise we'd have trouble swimming or washing our feet
The great thing about skin is we each have just enough
To cover and protect all of that soft, tender inner stuff

Millions of chemicals sustain each of our lives
Just treat it right and your body thrives
Give it some water, food and the sun's rays
It should last you till the end of your earthly days

Miles upon miles of arteries and veins
Delivering oxygen right into our brains
This gas is part of the air that we breathe
Giving us one more reason to admire trees

Other plants grow in the ground beneath our feet
Which is just as well or we'd have nothing to eat
They grow by mixing sunlight, water and earth
Fuelling our bodies and adding to our mirth

Our biggest mysteries are things we can't measure
Human gifts and abilities which we rightly treasure
Ideas, genius, creativity and imagination
Art, music, and literature all spark fascination

The thoughts in this poem are a mystery too
Are they all mine or do some belong to you
I'd hate to take all the credit for myself
To do so may not be good for my health

Countless miracles around and inside us each day
Rarely do we choose that we'll see them this way
There is a place for logical, rational, linear thought
If we focus solely on it we just might get caught

Consumed by battles which need not be fought
Seeking satisfaction in things sold and bought
Defending these items like soldiers in a fort
We may find our endeavours have come to naught

This little poem really could go on for many days
There are so many things I could mention with praise
But in this crazy world where we push and we shove
The deepest mystery of them all is this thing we call love

:)

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
This was from a poetry site that is no longer in existence.

Maybe 20 years ago ... just dumb luck that I kept a copy ...

The Madman

The Madman said to the wind: "They are confused, for they have divided it into body, mind and soul."

And the wind replied: "If two, moving in the night, shall stumble upon total ecstacy, they shall awaken from themselves and discover one sound, one feeling, and the indescribable joy of unseparated love. They will not perceive a body, a mind and a soul, but one love dancing into and out of time and form; happily blooming and fading into that unapproachable mystery."

The madman asked: "When will they awaken from sleep?"

And the wind replied: "What does it matter if they do or not? Though each dream does not know itself as the one dreamer, the one dreamer knows itself as each dream. It is all just a happening, a rising and a falling, like the waves of a great ocean. Once a single wave has arisen, it fears falling back. In its fear it invents infinite visions and dreams to comfort itself; tales of powers and forces it tells itself will make itself eternal. But when it falls back, it laughs, as the ocean, at its ignorance as a wave."

The madman was surprised at this. Smiling to himself, he departed, the flame burning brightly in his heart.

The Madman 2

He turned to the wind and said: "How long was I asleep? And why did not you call to me?"

And the wind replied: "I called to you from murmuring brooks and golden ponds. I called to you from raging storms and purple sunsets.I called to you from heights of passion in the heat of night."

"I called to you from behind the eyes of babes, and through the voice of sage and wizard."

"I called to you from white-capped hills across the way; from beauty standing as a single rose in fields of green; from voices of despair and grief from those who passed by you; from the travail and joy and art and sickness of humanity."

"I called to you but you could not hear, for you were busy calling ME."

And his eyes lit up at this saying. And his feet began to dance. And his mouth began to sing. And his eyes began to weep for this: The light turned fully on; the shadow gone into obscurity.

The Madman 4

He said to the wind: "Who am I?"

And the wind replied: "The one who is asking: Ask him to ask himself that question."

And he asked himself: "Who am I?" And he listened but no answer came.

The wind smiled and left him in that state. When he returned, he asked him: "Did you find an answer?"

And he turned and said: "There was no one to answer."

And the wind replied: "Then what has happened to the question?"

He said: "If there is no one to answer then I shall never know."

And the wind said: "Then what of he who asks?"

And he said: "If there was no one to answer, how could there be someone to ask? That seems fair, doesn't it?"

And they left, each laughing at this joke.

The Madman 5

Continues ...

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
The Madman 5

The madman said: "They are destroying themselves. It is as if they approach a cliff with open eyes and take not even one step backwards. What will become of them?"

The wind replied: "Let not your heart dwell on the destiny of mankind. Call to them gently and lovingly from your joy. Sing your songs with happiness. The destiny of man is mans' to choose. Some will listen and awaken. Others will turn from you."

The madman said: "Even the noble lion does not destroy himeself. It is sad, this tragedy."

And the wind said: "Dwell not on the destiny of man. It is their dream - neither sad nor hopeful. Sing to them from within the bliss. Some will hear and some will not. It is but one dream amidst an infinity of others. If you see someone caught in a nightmare, shake him gently. If he does not awaken, move away without regret."

But he was not yet still. "Must it come to this?"

The wind said: "Stand in that stillness. Dwell in the quiet. For what is still casts forth the reflection of the one who looks upon it. Be like a quiet pool: Those who come to it may drink of its substance and replenish themselves. Those who are soiled may bathe in it and become clean. Those who are heavily burdened may relax in it and renew their strength. Do nothing ... BE!"

And he understood this saying and became silent - his heart at peace, his mind at rest, his soul at one again with the way of life.

The Madman 6

And he, observing all the pain and suffering of man said:"I am confused. In the fulness of creative love why is it not different? Why must they have pain in their experience? Why should they suffer so? Even the children, the innocent among them suffer."

And the wind replied: "They are as much blessed in their pain as in their pleasure. Why does your heart look in only one direction? Turn yourself in each of the four directions and tell me what you see."

He turned himself and saw a world without life. There were no manifested forms, neither plant nor animal nor man. There was only putrefication, the stench of death, for all had perished. There was not one thing left alive. He could not bear this sight and closed his eyes to the desolation. His lips could not speak the horrors he had seen.

And the wind said: "Through their pain shall they know their needs. The flesh is weak and cannot endure the onslaught of forces greater than itself either from within or from without. Through pain the form is given foresight, knowledge of the danger of its present state. Look upon it totally and not from fear, that you may know the fulness of compassion, and the intelligence of love and creativity. Judge not life, but seek to comprehend its ways completely and you will be subject neither to the confusion of fear nor to the fear of confusion."

When he opened his eyes again he saw the world in a different light. He was at peace with the ways of life and comprehended within himself the action of love at work in the world.

The Madman 7

And he said to the wind: "I am ready now. I have studied them and know their ways. I have looked upon the moon and the stars and see all things clearly. I am ready now to speak to man, to teach these things I have discovered".

And the wind replied: "There is one more thing". And he rendered him dumb.

And the wind said: "Now you are ready".

But he, in his desire, could not hear truth. He went away confused, deeply disturbed in his heart. As he walked in the wilderness he came upon a dying rose. His heart melted at its fading beauty. He reached out his hand and touched it and it was renewed.

And the wind smiled at him.

As he wandered the earth unable to speak, he came upon two people fighting. He looked at them, wishing he could speak to them, to to say something that would help them see what they were doing to each other. His passion opened his heart and he went up to them and touched them. He looked at them deeply and they understood and walked away together in friendship.

And the wind smiled at this.

A wild animal approached him suddenly and he was afraid. But his heart opened and he saw its beauty and its power. Slowly he approached the animal and reached out his hand and touced it. And the animal sat at his feet in calmness and peace.

Suddenly his voice returned to him and he shouted with joy. He thanked the wind for this great gift. He asked: "Why did you give it back to me".

And the wind replied: "Because now you no longer need it. The true power is not in your words. It is in your heart and in your intentions. That animal would not attack you, and those men did not strike you. For both animal and man recognize what is harmless, what is still. And both are uplifted by love. Words may startle, but the power of quiet love works its way into the darkest heart and the wildest spirit and calms it and restores its own inward knowledge of its love. That power is greatest which is unheard and unseen, for it completes its task before can be discovered".

And he understood, and went away at peace with himself.

The Madman 8

Continues ...

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
The Madman 8

He asked the wind: "What is love, and who am I?"

He blinked his eyes but could not open them again. There was only an infinite, intelligent light. This light was exploding outwardly from itself in all directions, yet it was not moving in any space and was without any time. It did not begin or end but was present, moving.

He said: "What is this?"

And the wind said: "Behold yourself".

And he exploded into being as countless universes and worlds. It was the fierceness and calmness of energy, measureless, boundless. It was beyond joy, beyond word, beyond any possible expression. He was the fury of beauty creating itself without intention, the light becoming sound and mind and density. He was the possibility of action and the action of possibility. He was all things on all levels, yet there were no levels and there were no things.

He saw the same light explode and become an ocean, a tree, a cosmos, and knew it was also himself. He saw the whole immensity of human knowledge hovering in the spaceless, a single dot arising from the light amidst the fierceness of moving, changing love.

And he beheld his nature as humanity and knew each one of them was himself, his mind, a fleeting vision of his own expanding love. But they did not know themselves as him, as his own mind expanding, learning of itself as man, as body, as knowledge, feeling and idea. They were confused in their growth, feeling bound by what their eyes could see. They could not comprehend the blissful joy of light creating them without a single care. They were him, his own love, and knew it not.

And so, his compassion dwelt among them for a season, healing himself both with and without words. His touch, his gaze, the freedom of his unintended love healed the fires around them, and they knew it not , for they were seeking, hoping, searching for the light which was themselves. He smiled at himself through their eyes, the eyes of love moving towards itself.

And after his eye had blinked and opened once again, he faced the wind but could not speak. No word was adequate, none big enough to say that love, that beauty. He walked alone along the path towards home, that light shining from his eyes. All who crossed his path, both animal and man, were refreshed, made vibrant, without knowing how or why.

But the wind knew. And he knew. In the blinking of an eye he had died and been reborn forever. He would never die again.

Skip

Madman 9

He said to the wind: "Why does man experience anger, fear and violence. And what is peace?"

In that same moment a man appeared on the path, came up to him and struck him a terrific blow. He grew very angry and struck that man. And the man disappeared.

The wind removed him from himself and showed him his heart and mind, how he had appeared when he was in that state. He was ashamed of himself and declared that he would never be moved by anger again.

In that same moment a man appeared on the path and came up to him and struck him a terrific blow. His face grew tense and his fingers curled themselves into a fist. He drew back his hand but could not strike the man. And the man disappeared. He was confused by his own actions because his anger remained.

He asked the wind: "Why was I not able to strike that man?"

The wind smiled and a third man appeared, came up to him and struck his face. Suddenly, his vision changed and he became the man who had struck him. He felt the anger in his heart, the fear and sadness. His mind saw the horrors of the past, his pain and sorrow, his loneliness, his disappointments, the violence he had endured. He saw visions of a child unloved and cast aside.

And his soul was moved. The wind lifted his vision and the stranger returned, raised his fist again and struck him. But his heart quickened and became alive, and his eyes filled with tears. He felt overwhelming love descend upon himself and he embraced that man and wept with him.

And when the man was gone the wind said to him: "Why does man experience anger, fear and violence. And what is peace?"

He did not answer but walked away, his soul at rest, his eyes bright with joy.

The Madman 10

The madman said: "I have heard that love is born in humanity, that that light is there from the beginning. If that is so, why is there such suffering, such sorrow in the world? Why does not that light shine?"

The wind cast forth a seed upon the ground and said to the madman: "What do you see?"

And he answered: "It is a common seed".

The wind said: "Let not your eyes blind you to the truth of life. The same light that is in that seed is in humanity. Mankind will say that a tree of a hundred feet will manifest from this seed one day, but I tell you that tree exists already. It exists now in its fulness or it could not exist at all."

His mind could not hold that saying, and he became confused.

The wind smiled at him and said: "Do not be disturbed at this. It is one light, one love. It is neither broken nor made less by the shape it takes. The sorrow of humanity is the sorrow of the shape which does not see its fulness and thus, believes it is abandoned, devoid of light and must therefore, seek it.

"But the seed, the shape, is the light, and is only light. It is the eye, and the mind which looks through the eye, that blinds man to the light of the world. And so, he stumbles along in ignorance, feeling isolated, afraid, and jealously defending what he tells himself is light. He clings to each small shape and form he sees, fighting for them, killing for them, not seeing that all things, as himself, are light."

"It is sorrow for nothing, for he is born complete and can never be incomplete. He is fooled by the outer shape, by the manifestation. The light is ever shining, ever bright. And when humanity will cast from itself its belief in darkness, in that instant shall the fulness of light shine forth in them and make them whole and heal them."

He went away in silence, comprehending the truth about himself and the world. And his heart was healed.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Ego Trip

You'll never meet anyone as humble as me
I am also as modest as I can be
I really am the ideal human being
If you understood you would be agreeing

:)