• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Far Scarier Set Of facts

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
There is also a fact of life called K-extinction.
When the population density of any species reaches a genetically coded value, the population experiences an extinction event.

K-extinctions come in two forms - determinate and indeterminate.
A determinate K-extinction is predictable in form. An indeterminate K-extinction can take a variety of forms.

If you want all the detail, research and maths, read ‘Sociobiology: The New Synthesis’ by Edward O Wilson.

A good book of its time (1975, and which I have read), but things have moved on.

As mentioned, many countries have less than sustainable birth rates (as they become more prosperous), and it is unlikely that the old will inevitably live to greater ages. A more realistic proposition, as proposed by Hans Rosling, is that we will probably level out - even if this is still too high for comfort - especially when we all need to be consuming less and this just doesn't appeal to the expectations of many. Like so many seemingly wanting what many in the USA have, and which is just not achievable. Which is why we need to change our love affair with capitalism into something far more realistic. Not to mention the damage we are causing to the planet and all other lifeforms.

The problem isn't what you think it is. It's not people wanting to eat, it's people wanting to drive cars, have heated or air conditioned homes, smart phones, TVs and refrigerators.
We are not a population in a closed system with a limited supply of food, we are a yeast that is pooping out a toxin that will kill it.
And yes, we know how to minimize the problem - but we don't act.

Well then, why dont you lead by example and get off your phone and stop using your car (assuming you have one).

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
I didn't watch the video, although I would say that anyone who minimizes the effects of overpopulation would be in the same category as those who believe climate change is "fake news."
Again, he isn't "minimizing the effects" of overpopulation. He simply explains that the causes of overpopulation aren't what people think, the projected fears relating to escalating population numbers may be misguided, and that there are things in place which can and are minimizing the negative effects of overpopulation.

He is not saying "overpopulation isn't a problem". He is saying "here are the actual causes of overpopulation, here is a solution which can and does minimize the negative impacts of overpopulation, and here are the steps we can and are taking to prevent overpopulation".

Seriously, why are people so keen to dismiss this lecture before even viewing it? Are people so dead set on a global cull?

If climate change is caused by human activity, then there's definitely a connection with overpopulation. In fact, that's probably the only major reason for climate change, when you really come down to it.
Except, as is explained in the lecture, the countries that are having more children are not contributing as much to global carbon emissions as children in developed nations that still have lower birth rates. Global carbon emissions aren't intrinsically linked simply with the total NUMBER of humans, because not all humans leave the same carbon footprint. A family of 10 in Somalia contribute significantly less CO2 than a family of 3 in America.

Climate change is addressed in the video at 51:52.

To claim that the cause of climate change is due to population growth is an oversimplification, and in either case the solution is not to blame increasing birthrates but to ask how we can limit the negative impact of those births.

Last edited:

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian

As compared to THIS.

I suggest you enlarge.

We very much agree human overpopulation is very much a problem that needs to be fixed. I'd like the sterilization of anybody who procreates more than a few offspring; this ultimate solution would bring the human population growth rate to near zero.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
We very much agree human overpopulation is very much a problem that needs to be fixed. I'd like the sterilization of anybody who procreates more than a few offspring; this ultimate solution would bring the human population growth rate to near zero.

Maybe because there are ethnic groups who are too prolific and others who are the exact opposite.

Or rather, sometimes austerity policies produce a demographic crisis...
My high school class had 25 students. Now, after 15 years, only 6 of them have had children. Of the remaining 19, 16 are married but childless...

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You are witnessing the refutation of that claim.
Aye, we see a wide desire to increase population.
And anyone who says technology will fix the problem
has misplaced hope. Paving, deforestation, ocean
depopulation....it'll all continue.

Wandering Monk

As compared to THIS.

I suggest you enlarge.

Population growth rates have been declining for quite a while, mostly due to education and better incomes. Latest projections seem to suggest we will top out at about 11 billion people.
population-growth-rate-by-world-region-1955-2015-and-projections-through-2100.png

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Regardless, the global aggregate of nations shows a decline in population growth rates since about the 1950's.
And there are some countries, like Japan for example, that are having a hard time filling labour requirements because their population is decreasing.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Last edited: