• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A dream I had last night

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
When I was a kid I went to a religious school, a church school, back in the early 90s:

Last night I dreamt I was a teacher at that school and that I was teaching a class there
I wrote on the blackboard "Humanism" and started talking to the class about humanism
Then the head-teacher came in with some other teachers and told me off!
I got into trouble for teaching the children about humanism in a church school
The dream then ended.

What does this mean?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I dream about school often.
I used to be a very good student...but sometimes I dream of awkward situations in which it is me who tells off teachers. About things they taught and I found wrong.

As for your dream...I guess it means your teachers were slightly strict about religious education...and probably used to.prevent pupils from expressing themselves.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Possibly you are feeling constrained by a certain aspect of your religion. I think the dream environment ties into your brief history of teaching. You want to be able to express whatever values you see present in humanism that maybe aren't in your religion or aren't very well expressed by your religion. Children could represent a more innocent part of yourself that is willing to learn new things from whichever source they come if you think the learning will benefit you. The adults are a constrainig force, perhaps a side of you less willing to learn or an outside force wanting to halt such learning.

sealchan

When I was a kid I went to a religious school, a church school, back in the early 90s:

Last night I dreamt I was a teacher at that school and that I was teaching a class there
I wrote on the blackboard "Humanism" and started talking to the class about humanism
Then the head-teacher came in with some other teachers and told me off!
I got into trouble for teaching the children about humanism in a church school
The dream then ended.

What does this mean?

There is an interesting contradiction in this dream that you are a (presumably sanctioned) teacher at a religious school but you aim to teach about Humanism. The school is your psyche and so it represents your own dual interest in matters religious and humanist.

Personally I feel at home in both a religious and humanist duality. I see the value in religious teachings but feel that in today's modern world we must replace the mythic, supernatural beliefs of the past with more human-o-centric ones. This is because science and our curiousity in general have grown us out of our more isolated and childish ways of relating.

This dichotomy is an aspect of modern culture and not just a personal orientation.

What happened that day or recently in your waking life that might have sparked such a dream do you think?

Last edited: