1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured A defense for and proof for Christianity

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by Riders, Sep 27, 2018.

1. sojourner

sojourner Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006

Ratings:
    +4,008
    Religion:
    Christian/Shamanic
    I’d say that it’s unnecessary for you to wait for him to accept or reject to make the judgment call with regard to his level of ignorance on the subject. I think, based on what he’s posted thus far, he has no idea what he’s talking about; he makes outrageous assumptions and lends them credibility with florid language. And then makes unfounded accusations because no one fits his idea of how we *ought* to be. It’s a classic, fallacious ruse, designed to be provocative for his own entertainment.

• Like Like x 1
  2. sojourner

Ratings:
    +4,008
    Religion:
    Christian/Shamanic
    As if there’s something wrong with seeking clarity, seeking meaning, and not buying in to one particular faith system. Unless, of course, you mistakenly claim that clarity and meaning are not worth our time seeking. Is that your claim?

3. sojourner

Ratings:
    +4,008
    Religion:
    Christian/Shamanic
    What’s your pathological preoccupation with “evidence?”

4. leroy

leroy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +102
    Religion:
    christian
    I simply don't see why are faith/(or trust) and evidence mutually exclusive.

You can trust (or have faith) in something or someone and at the same time have good positive evidence that proves that "it" is worthy of trust .

Perhaps this is just semantics, maybe your definition of faith and my definition are different. .... So how would you define faith ?

5. Milton Platt

Milton Platt Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,358
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Not sure why you quoted me on this response?
    Interesting. Which ones do not believe in a supernatural god?

6. joelr

joelr Active Member

Ratings:
    +304
    If you believe God created parts of the bible how do you know the parts about women and sexuality were not written by God also?
    Your saying you don't like or agree with some things but they could still be Gods law. You may not like all of the laws or agree with all of the laws, who agrees with all laws? If you just pick and choose stuff you like how would you know if you were ignoring important laws?

7. Joseph Quinn

Joseph Quinn Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Religion:
    None
    Religious faith means a
    I'd say you have summarised your rationale and contribution to a tee....Now, where is my postcard from Stockholm?

8. sojourner

Ratings:
    +4,008
    Religion:
    Christian/Shamanic
    Panentheism is more or less a construct wherein God is all of nature. Another is a construct where The God concept is a metaphor or avatar to give form to concepts that are amorphous. A third is the concept that God is existence, itself, which is more or less a blend of the other two. None of them buy into anything other than natural, human experience.

9. sojourner

Ratings:
    +4,008
    Religion:
    Christian/Shamanic
    *Yawn*

Atheistic bollocks.

*Yawn*

10. Milton Platt

Milton Platt Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,358
    Religion:
    Atheist
    None of them sound like Christianity, which is mono-theistic, and depends upon the dogma concerning original sin, the death and resurrection of a man-god, heaven, hell, etc.

11. sojourner

Ratings:
    +4,008
    Religion:
    Christian/Shamanic
    Not necessarily. There are lots of Christians like myself who take a more naturalistic view. There are many who don’t buy into original sin, and who see the resurrection as completely mythic.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Joseph Quinn

Joseph Quinn Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Religion:
    None
    Such erudition you have. Still, it doesn't take too long until you exhaust your canon of drivel. Whatever next, a Christian that takes a naturalistic view? If you reject the resurrection you are in no sense a Christian. Your clearly not going to Stockholm and what you remain with are unsupported assertions, cluttered thinking and the boring tendency to add on extra layers of complications where none are needed.

13. sojourner

Ratings:
    +4,008
    Religion:
    Christian/Shamanic
    *Yawn*

More desperate, now ad hominem, atheistic bollocks.

Where did I say I reject the resurrection? Not that it mattters to you.

1) You have no authority to say what is, or is not “Christian,” since you, yourself, reject it as “unreasonable.” Fallacy #1

2) If you think the theological construct is unsupported, you know even less than I gave you credit for.

Please continue, though. It’s sort of entertaining in a macabre way.

14. Thief

Thief Rogue Theologian

Ratings:
    +3,285
    seemed a bit self-contrary on this remark

but anyway.......
    why not?... just continue in believing in God
    and not bother about religion

15. Riders

Riders Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,291
    Religion:
    Unitarian Universalism,Pagan,Zen
    I believe in God female and male God.

16. Thief

Thief Rogue Theologian

Ratings:
    +3,285
    ok....but you don't need a religion to do so

17. Joseph Quinn

Joseph Quinn Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Religion:
    None

Desperation is your domain. Still awaiting the postcard from Stockholm. If it is the macabre you want then stick with a Jewish zombie, created through human sacrifice.

18. sojourner

Ratings:
    +4,008
    Religion:
    Christian/Shamanic
    Fan of Pee-Wee Herman, are you? Don’t you think the “I know you are but what am I” ploy is a bit jejune? Even for you? I think you could be a lot more Napoleon Dynamite if you just put a little more effort in and stepped up your intellectual game a bit.

I find your playground posturing a lot more morbidly entertaining than Jesus. But hold off for a few moments, won’t you? I’m making popcorn.

I’m not the least bit interested in Stockholm, but I do have friends in Gothenburg and Mullsjo I’d like to visit... but feel free to nominate me for a Nobel Prize for engaging in a battle of wits with the unarmed.

19. Joseph Quinn

Joseph Quinn Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Religion:
    None
    More diversionary waffle. You would do better demonstrating the case for your claims. Good luck.

20. sojourner

Ratings:
    +4,008
    Religion:
    Christian/Shamanic
    More pathetic, atheistic, claims-making. Please demonstrate the case for your claim that I must believe in a certain something in order to be a person of faith, and a Christian.

Yet again: I’m not making claims. I have no claims to make. You’re the one making up these “rules” as you go. You’d do better demonstrating an actual interest in discovering my theological position, rather than simply dismissing and scorning my posts.