• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A "Deep" Question

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
That is a good approach and for the record I am enjoying your meticulous look at Genesis 1. I find it very enlightening.

The inconsistencies of the story provide information about the limitations of the author. But we also have our scientific knowledge to show us that in a more direct way. Still I should be the last person to criticize anyone for wanting to hold the text up to the light of logical consistency. Still there is such thing as beating a dead horse...

I hope you continue with more questions in this area.
Well, thank you for the validation. Let me ask you something, at what verse of the KJV do you find the first inconsistency?

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Still I should be the last person to criticize anyone for wanting to hold the text up to the light of logical consistency. Still there is such thing as beating a dead horse...
Better a dead horse than a live one I always say.

Im essence I'm looking for people.who will discuss Scripture without predjudice.

sealchan

Internal or external? For external I would say that right here in Genesis 1 we have inconsistencies with later scientific knowledge about the structure of the Universe. Still I find Genesis 1 probably much more a natural fit to the scientific description of creation than most other creation myths.

For internal...I have been studying Genesis closely for some time and find that if there are inconsistencies or omissions they are intentional and meant to spark discussion. The first great internal "inconsistency" would be the intended plot device of the Garden of Eden and the Fall. God says don't do this but has a big, shiny tree in the middle of a garden with fruit on it and a wily serpent to do the convincing. Is God mean (not totally good)? Are Adam and Eve bad or were they tricked? Is it really all the serpent's fault (who created the serpent anyway)?

sealchan

Better a dead horse than a live one I always say.

Im essence I'm looking for people.who will discuss Scripture without predjudice.

Then please try out my posts in Scriptural Debate. My main goal is to read a small portion of scripture as literature and try and understand what it is saying on a surface level and in the context of it having been written with some amount of literary craft. I believe this is the best way to read any scripture in isolation and as the author originally intended.