• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A "Deep" Question

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Because, the Bible starts with a new creation of Adam and Eve, they have children who build cities and farm and the timeline is around 6,000 years ago. Then you have men, women and dinosaurs that are dated billions of years old.
The authors of Genesis wouldn’t have known what we know now about the dating of the dinosaurs. Why is it relevant to figuring out what meaning they intended?

74x12

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. Next all of a sudden there is a deep and water. Was that part of heaven or earth or both?
The word earth is simply land. The bible actually doesn't say when the planet was made or the water that was apparently already on the planet. The first sentence is explained further in the account of creation. Meaning it shows you how God made the earth by letting the dry land appear and how God made the heaven by separating the waters to create an expense called heaven or the sky.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
And in your scenario did these waters already exist at the beginning of the story? If not there seems to be no mention of it a appearance.
Apparently. Their creation isn’t addressed in the story.

It seems
The formless and void earth of verse 2, when did that appear?
The story doesn’t say. My inference that it was the raw material that God started with.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
The word earth is simply land. The bible actually doesn't say when the planet was made or the water that was apparently already on the planet. The first sentence is explained further in the account of creation. Meaning it shows you how God made the earth by letting the dry land appear and how God made the heaven by separating the waters to create an expense called heaven or the sky.
The heaven and the sky are two different things.

74x12

The heaven and the sky are two different things.
I understand what you're saying from a modern understanding, but this is an ancient text. The meaning should be considered identical. I'm not saying there is no heaven as you understand it. I'm only saying the Genesis creation account isn't necessarily differentiating between which heaven is being referred to. Apparently we may assume they're made at the same time. In fact the heaven in Genesis 1:1 is literally plural. Meaning heavens were made. Not just one heaven.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Notes on "deep."

Genesis 1:2 (KJV)
And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
1. If he earth was without form naturally it couldn't have existed.

2. Because it was void suggests it was also empty, which is pretty much a redundancy of "without form." :shrug: (Amateur writers. :rolleyes: )

3. So, there is no earth.

4. "Darkness" implies there was no Sun or other stars around. However . . . . .

5. "Deep" strongly demands some kind of measurable physical condition, as does "upon," but of what? According to Strong's Concordance it's most likely water. And for water to exist it must either have been a huge "blob" floating in space by itself OR attached to a solid, such as a planet.

6. Soooo, if it's on a planet, and that planet is Earth, then it couldn't be co-incidental with the time when the earth was without forum, but after it had taken shape. Therefore, "And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep." does not indicate simultaneous conditions.

7. First the earth was without form, then it took on a form and contained water.

8. Now, what a spirit moving upon the face of the waters is, and why it's important is anybody's guess.

25818475988_bb785bc65e_z.jpg

Last edited:

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I'm not accepting that. It shuts too many doors to more profound meanings.
It seems to me that the problem with the OP and the thread is that you are asking for a modern, scientifically literate, interpretation of the stories told by primitive, scientifically illiterate, people. And one told to you in a modern language, extremely different from the one it was told in thousands of years ago. Without knowing a lot about the cultural context in which it was told.

There simply aren't answers to the questions you are asking that can be contained in a university level class, much less an internet post on RF.
Tom

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
It seems to me that the problem with the OP and the thread is that you are asking for a modern, scientifically literate, interpretation of the stories told by primitive, scientifically illiterate, people. And one told to you in a modern language, extremely different from the one it was told in thousands of years ago. Without knowing a lot about the cultural context in which it was told.

There simply aren't answers to the questions you are asking that can be contained in a university level class, much less an internet post on RF.
Tom
I understand the cultural context. I find it irrelevant. I follow the text.

Skwim

Veteran Member

Tom
But in light of the contention that what the Bible says, no matter what the time or language it's words and passages convey the meaning as god intends, your objection here is meaningless. Of course if god never intended his "word" to be taken literally then that's a whole other kettle of fish. That Jesus was born of a virgin could be absolutely wrong, as could the "miracles" he is said to have preformed, and story of him rising from the dead. Jesus may well not have been born of a virgin, and may never have preformed any miracles or risen from the dead.

As I see putting one's faith in the Bible, it comes down to two options: Believe everything literally, which comes with a whole host of difficulties, or cherry-pick it to death so it coincides with one's theology. :shrug:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Yet the Bible doesn't call it a dome and it says the birds fly in it.
Your assumpton also presumes that the atmosphere is not the sky.
You’re right: I was talking specifically about the firmament. I suppose the firmament is just one part of the sky.

And I was reading into things when I assumed that the firmament was a dome; AFAIK, the Bible doesn’t describe its specific shape, only that it’s between Heaven and Earth and holds back “the waters above.”

Baroodi

I think at this stage we need to believe in what happened but asking how it took place and then starting to invent postulations will only lead to byzantine debate about a terra incognita. We know God is there and we believe in his true revelation.