• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A "Deep" Question

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. Next all of a sudden there is a deep and water. Was that part of heaven or earth or both?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. Next all of a sudden there is a deep and water. Was that part of heaven or earth or both?
Are you sure about the “next?” It’s not in the text.

I see how it’s a reasonable inference to interpret the verses as chronological steps (“Step 1: God created the Heaven and the Earth. Step 2: there was darkness over an abyss...”), but there are other ways to interpret it.

One way that makes sense for me is to infer a comma between verses 1 and 2 (effectively: “In the beginning, God created the heavens and the Earth and here’s how he did it...”).

I think my interpretation fits the text better, since verse 6 describes the creation and naming of Heaven; I assume you don’t think that Heaven was created twice.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Are you sure about the “next?” It’s not in the text.

I see how it’s a reasonable inference to interpret the verses as chronological steps (“Step 1: God created the Heaven and the Earth. Step 2: there was darkness over an abyss...”), but there are other ways to interpret it.

One way that makes sense for me is to infer a comma between verses 1 and 2 (effectively: “In the beginning, God created the heavens and the Earth and here’s how he did it...”).

I think my interpretation fits the text better, since verse 6 describes the creation and naming of Heaven; I assume you don’t think that Heaven was created twice.
ok, suppose that 1:1 is an introduction. Now let's start the story in verse 2. Um, they seemed to skip the creation of earth.

Last edited:

djhwoodwerks

What makes you say that? What in the text remotely suggests this?

Seems like you’re taking @sandy whitelinger ’s assumption and adding on another boatload of assumptions.

Because, the Bible starts with a new creation of Adam and Eve, they have children who build cities and farm and the timeline is around 6,000 years ago. Then you have men, women and dinosaurs that are dated billions of years old.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Because, the Bible starts with a new creation of Adam and Eve, they have children who build cities and farm and the timeline is around 6,000 years ago. Then you have men, women and dinosaurs that are dated billions of years old.
So, are you suggesting the narrative started 6000 years ago?