• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A curiosity, not a judgement

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Yesterday in temple there was a young couple. That's not so unusual. What I thought was unusual, and never saw before, was that as they were leaving and passing in front of the Sri Guruvayurappan (presiding deity) sanctum, the woman made the sign of the cross, 3 times. As a former and recovered Catholic, I know the sign of the cross when I see it. :D I also know there are many Hindus who think of Jesus as their ishta-devata... or so I've read. Like I said, it's not a judgement, just a curiosity. Anyone else ever see this?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Yesterday in temple there was a young couple. That's not so unusual. What I thought was unusual, and never saw before, was that as they were leaving and passing in front of the Sri Guruvayurappan (presiding deity) sanctum, the woman made the sign of the cross, 3 times. As a former and recovered Catholic, I know the sign of the cross when I see it. :D I also know there are many Hindus who think of Jesus as their ishta-devata... or so I've read. Like I said, it's not a judgement, just a curiosity. Anyone else ever see this?
I've never seen it. Maybe you saw a mixed marriage, she being Christian? They will go to each other's places of worship, if they're of the tolerant variety.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I've never seen it. Maybe you saw a mixed marriage, she being Christian? They will go to each other's places of worship, if they're of the tolerant variety.

I thought of the religiously-mixed marriage possibility. They were both very Indian looking. A Hindu coworker of mine once said her family thought that way.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I thought of the religiously-mixed marriage possibility. They were both very Indian looking. A Hindu coworker of mine once said her family thought that way.
IN TN and Kerala, mixed marriages are quite common actually. More common than we'd think.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
IN TN and Kerala, mixed marriages are quite common actually. More common than we'd think.

I suppose so, I know that Kerala and Karnataka have large Christian populations. Legend has it that St. Thomas the Apostle established the first church in what is now Kerala. A former coworker’s parents are from Kerala and are Christian.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I suppose so, I know that Kerala and Karnataka have large Christian populations. Legend has it that St. Thomas the Apostle established the first church in what is now Kerala. A former coworker’s parents are from Kerala and are Christian.

Kerala Christians (ones I've met) are some of the sneakiest people I've ever met.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I think Hindus too make such a sign, though it is not meant to be a cross. It sort of denotes the whole body, the right and the left, up and down, etc. Seen it actually and in videos, no connection with Christianity. Maharashtrains? Not sure, need comments from other people.

Edit: And if you look closely, they are not making a sign of cross but touching the lobes of their ear or cheeks with opposite hands. Touching the heart region (middle of the breast) and forehead are not uncommon among Hindus. It is a gesture of supplication to a deity or the photograph or even the mention of the name of their guru, in religion, music or dance (Hindus, Siks and Muslims alike, cultural tradition). Many musicians will do this gesture before touching their instruments and soldiers will do this before taking up their arms, farmers will be worshiping their plows and tractors, bus/coach/taxi drivers their rikshaws or cars/buses, and the masons will do it before picking up their hammers, respect to the implements with which they earn their living. That is why we have the Vishwakarma puja after Diwali, a general holiday in India. On that day, they would not pick up their implements for work for any amount of money.

Washing their implements with milk:
mechanics-wash-their-tools-with-milk-on-the-749604.jpg

vishwakarma-puja-celebration-at-maa-tara-engineer-works-at-juhugaon-picture-id1035557708
(Perhaps a stone carver or a cook that is why mortar and pestle)
Vishwakarma Puja Celebrations Pictures and Photos - Getty Images

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I think Hindus too make such a sign, though it is not meant to be a cross. It sort of denotes the whole body, the right and the left, up and down, etc. Seen it actually and in videos, no connection with Christianity. Maharashtrains? Not sure, need comments from other people.

Very interesting. Odd as it may sound, I did think of that. I wondered if there is a corresponding Hindu gesture having nothing to do with Christianity. But the gesture the woman at temple made was:
  • Forehead.
  • Center of chest.
  • Left shoulder.
  • Right shoulder.
I work with someone from Maharashtra. I'll ask her.