• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A criticism for Pagans

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW
How can you definitively say they're Pagan, though? Seems a thing all on it's own.

Sent from Windows 10 Mobile

It isn't a Pagan thing. Unfortunately, though, there is a lot of playganism plaguing Neopaganism due to distortions that came as a byproduct of Eclecticism. Eclectism itself isn't the problem rather the fallacies that arose from the "anything goes, there's no right or wrong way" line that began circulating in the 1990s. While intended to affirm the validity of finding one's own path rather than adhering to one tradition, it was quickly grabbed on to by anyone and everyone for any oddity as a way to avoid dealing with the very strong likelihood of poor social development or bona fide mental health issues. Suddenly nonsense like vampirism, indigo kids, otherkins and the like were tacking themselves on to pagan-related paths. These things are not Pagan and don't have anything to do with actual Pagan practices. There are just a lot of different people who share a deep-rooted need for escapism for a variety of reasons.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Indigo Children actually does have a little bit of a basis, from what I've been able to gather. They're also known as fey/faerie/alf children; basically children touched by divinity.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Otherkin have similarities to shamanic totemic practices. I'm not sure about vampires, but blood drinking and cannibalism have been practiced in indigenous cultures, of course.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Well my church which is a Pagan UU church believes in it,
Pagans also believe in gods, ghosts, and magical practices. Does that make them exclusively Pagan?

Otherkin have similarities to shamanic totemic practices.
Not really, actually. I've had a lot of "otherkin" try to make that comparison to me, but it's not comparable. Otherkin believe that they are those animals, spiritually of course, since biology shows quite differently. They're not humans, they're cats, dragons, unicorns, or whatever else they feel like. Shaman, on the other hand, spiritually take on the aspect of certain animals for a period of time; we remain human, but "channel" the spirit of, say, a wolf or a bear.

Riders

It isn't a Pagan thing. Unfortunately, though, there is a lot of playganism plaguing Neopaganism due to distortions that came as a byproduct of Eclecticism. Eclectism itself isn't the problem rather the fallacies that arose from the "anything goes, there's no right or wrong way" line that began circulating in the 1990s. While intended to affirm the validity of finding one's own path rather than adhering to one tradition, it was quickly grabbed on to by anyone and everyone for any oddity as a way to avoid dealing with the very strong likelihood of poor social development or bona fide mental health issues. Suddenly nonsense like vampirism, indigo kids, otherkins and the like were tacking themselves on to pagan-related paths. These things are not Pagan and don't have anything to do with actual Pagan practices. There are just a lot of different people who share a deep-rooted need for escapism for a variety of reasons.

Thankyou I think theres a lot of truth in that.

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW
Indigo Children actually does have a little bit of a basis, from what I've been able to gather. They're also known as fey/faerie/alf children; basically children touched by divinity.

I'm always up for gaining more knowledge on a topic. To date, I've not encountered any sources providing anything to refute it being anything other than a New Age concept for parents who don't want to accept that their children are not special but are dealing with conditions that can be treated with counseling and/or treatment their parents won't pursue.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Not really, actually. I've had a lot of "otherkin" try to make that comparison to me, but it's not comparable. Otherkin believe that they are those animals, spiritually of course, since biology shows quite differently. They're not humans, they're cats, dragons, unicorns, or whatever else they feel like. Shaman, on the other hand, spiritually take on the aspect of certain animals for a period of time; we remain human, but "channel" the spirit of, say, a wolf or a bear.
Well, I didn't say they were exactly the same. :D

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
To date, I've not encountered any sources providing anything to refute it being anything other than a New Age concept for parents who don't want to accept that their children are not special but are dealing with conditions that can be treated with counseling and/or treatment their parents won't pursue.
The source that I had has since been removed, which doesn't bode well for it I think. There are folklore tales that I remember reading, though, that tell of children who were either blessed by or replaced by fairie children, and as they grew up were more magically inclined and in-touch with the fey folk.