• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A creator and a singularity

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
I've seen believers say there was nothing until a god created it, then came everything
I've seen non-believers say there was nothing until a singularity expanded, then came everything.

My question is, and I've asked in a few threads, never getting a very good answer(religious people say he just existed, non-religious people say the concept of pre doesn't calculate), if there was nothing then came everything by what ever means, what did a god or a singularity exist in before making everything come to be as what we know as the universe and all in it?

Lawrence Krauss would say that at first there was "nothing" and "nothing" is unstable, so it produced an expanding space-time continuum through quantum fluctuations.

lol

The short answer is that we don't know, off course.

However, assuming the false dichotomy isn't false (singularity vs a god), then right out the gates I'ld say that a singularity is a lot more likely since it is a lot simpler then a god and requires fewer assumptions.

The singularity explanation is also at least suggested by current understanding of certain scientific theories and models at the frontiers of our collective knowledge of physics.

As for the god explanation... nothing suggests that except old tales from the bronze age.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
There have been other ideas like brane world in some string theories, where the Big Bang was preceded (in metatime) by colliding branes; the wrinkles of which cause the anisotropies in the cosmic microwave background.

However it doesn't account for the polarization in the CMB mapped out by Planck (the satellite, not the dude).

As has been said a few times here, the best direction to go here is probably just to say "we don't know yet." We really need a working theory of quantum gravity to answer some pertinent questions to approach it well.

Fallen Prophet

I've seen believers say there was nothing until a god created it, then came everything
I've seen non-believers say there was nothing until a singularity expanded, then came everything.

My question is, and I've asked in a few threads, never getting a very good answer(religious people say he just existed, non-religious people say the concept of pre doesn't calculate), if there was nothing then came everything by what ever means, what did a god or a singularity exist in before making everything come to be as what we know as the universe and all in it?
I am a believer and I do not believe that there was nothing before God.

I believe that all Intelligence and Element - the particles of all things spiritual and physical - have always existed in some form.

We Never Know

No Slack
Lawrence Krauss would say that at first there was "nothing" and "nothing" is unstable, so it produced an expanding space-time continuum through quantum fluctuations.

lol

The short answer is that we don't know, off course.

However, assuming the false dichotomy isn't false (singularity vs a god), then right out the gates I'ld say that a singularity is a lot more likely since it is a lot simpler then a god and requires fewer assumptions.

The singularity explanation is also at least suggested by current understanding of certain scientific theories and models at the frontiers of our collective knowledge of physics.

As for the god explanation... nothing suggests that except old tales from the bronze age.

What is the most suggested explanation by current understanding of certain scientific theories and models at the frontiers of our collective knowledge of physics?

Edit. Disregard my post. I misread your post as the least suggested

Last edited: