• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A couple of T Rexes is bad enough. But 2.5 Billion of them?!!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Not all that amazing.
2.5B T Rexes over 2.4M years.
Rephrase....
2500M TRexes over 2.4M years.
That's only birth rate of 1000 T Rexes/year.
Say they live 30 years.
We have an average population size of 30,000 T Rexes.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
2.5 billion ‘over 2.4 million years’.

Spread out over time, that’s not too bad.
(Although I think they were scavengers, more than anything. IMO.)

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
2.5 billion ‘over 2.4 million years’.

Spread out over time, that’s not too bad.
(Although I think they were scavengers, more than anything. IMO.)
The scavenger idea has lost a lot of ground since more of Hell Creek has been unearthed. We've found both rexes with bite wounds from prey but also found prey with Rex bite wounds that healed over, indicating escape from predation. Most predators are opportunistic scavengers, but very few are dedicated scavengers.

Proof of T. rex's Predatory Nature Revealed | Live Science

PureX

Veteran Member
When I lived in Chicago, I worked for a fine art services company managing their crating division. At the time, the Chicago Field Museum had acquired the largest, most complete T-rex dinosaur skeleton ever found, and had several resin castings made of the fossilized skull. One was mounted on a steel frame, with wheels, so it could be traveled around to other museums, and I was given the job of designing and building a "garage" style crate for it to roll into, and out of, as it travelled from city to city. So it was in our shop for several weeks while we made this special crate for it. And I have to say it was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. The larger teeth were a foot long. The skull was over 5 feet long, and I was told the whole animal stood well over 20 feet tall.

Here is an image of the that skull I built the crate for, and a photo of the whole skeleton in the Chicago Field Museum. Just to try and appreciate the size of these things.

maxresdefault.jpg

1__IGP7760sm.jpg

exchemist

Veteran Member
Recent study....

‘Like Godzilla, but actually real’: study shows T. rex numbered 2.5 billion | Reuters

Imagine. On second thought, don't imagine it.

*Yikes*
T Rex was around, according to the article, for 2.4 million years, and this is the grand total of all of them that ever lived, over this long period. So this huge number does not mean a lot. The average number of them alive at any one time during this period was only 20,000.

What the cumulative number does illustrate however, is how rare it is that a fossil is preserved, and then exposed at the surface of the earth, and then discovered. Mankind has only found a handful of T Rex specimens, out of all the billions that ever lived.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Not all that amazing.
2.5B T Rexes over 2.4M years.
Rephrase....
2500M TRexes over 2.4M years.
That's only birth rate of 1000 T Rexes/year.
Say they live 30 years.
We have an average population size of 30,000 T Rexes.
I think that the article must have had a slightly longer lifetime since it averaged 20,000 T Rexes alive. But you appear to have gotten that without having to read it which is much better than most people would have done.