• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Couple of Questions About The ELCA

ZooGirl02

Hey everyone. Today I am making my first visit to an ELCA church. In fact, I have no prior experience with Lutheran Churches. I have only ever known one Lutheran and that person was a person who was in RCIA with me during my conversion to Catholicism. Well, anyway, I have become disillusioned with Catholicism and so I am seeking out other liturgical churches. There is an ELCA church in my area and I am going to check it out later this morning. So, I have a few questions:

What is the ELCA position on abortion?

Do ELCA Lutherans practice confession? If so, is it private confession or is it just a part of the Sunday liturgy such as what many Episcopalians have?

Just how liberal is the ELCA compared to other denominations such as the United Methodists or the members of the United Church of Christ?

ronandcarol

Premium Member
My wife and I were members of our local ELCA and were relatively happy there until they decided in the synod to recognize same sex marriage. At that time we decided to go back to our roots and find a Missouri Synod Lutheran Church, LCMS. Our current church preaches directly from the Bible, verse by verse. They do not gloss over any unpopular verses and they will not compromise what it says. (just as a footnote, we are not gay haters, in fact have an acquaintance that is gay. We are supposed to love our neighbors, Jesus loves all sinners, but that doesn't mean we are to condone their actions. We are to pray for them. Not bless their union with a marriage)

ronandcarol