• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A clear and present public health threat ...

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
The Lancet is described by Wikipedia as "

... a weekly peer-reviewed general medical journal and one of the oldest of its kind. It is also the world's highest-impact academic journal.[1][2] It was founded in England in 1823.[3]

Its 8-Dec-2022 opinion piece begins ...

THE LANCET: Racism, discrimination, and xenophobia are fundamental drivers of health disparities worldwide and must be universally acknowledged as a public health threat
  • Racism, xenophobia, and discrimination happen everywhere in the world and critically impact the health of minoritised people.
  • Inaccurate and unfounded assumptions about genetic differences between races continue to shape health outcomes through research, policy, and practice.
  • The Lancet Series argues that discrimination is a significant driver of racial health inequities and outlines the diverse pathways through which discrimination harms health–including directly impacting the body via stress responses, profoundly shaping living environments, and limiting individuals’ opportunities to improve health.
  • The authors call for wider recognition of racism and xenophobia as fundamental determinants of health and urge the health community to advocate for and implement measures that focus on the structural causes.
We can choose not to pay attention, but we will pay one way or another.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member

... a weekly peer-reviewed general medical journal and one of the oldest of its kind. It is also the world's highest-impact academic journal.[1][2] It was founded in England in 1823.[3]

THE LANCET: Racism, discrimination, and xenophobia are fundamental drivers of health disparities worldwide and must be universally acknowledged as a public health threat
  • Racism, xenophobia, and discrimination happen everywhere in the world and critically impact the health of minoritised people.
  • Inaccurate and unfounded assumptions about genetic differences between races continue to shape health outcomes through research, policy, and practice.
  • The Lancet Series argues that discrimination is a significant driver of racial health inequities and outlines the diverse pathways through which discrimination harms health–including directly impacting the body via stress responses, profoundly shaping living environments, and limiting individuals’ opportunities to improve health.
  • The authors call for wider recognition of racism and xenophobia as fundamental determinants of health and urge the health community to advocate for and implement measures that focus on the structural causes.

I think the devil is in the details there. Which new measures would combat these things?

Altfish

Veteran Member

Welcome to Brexit Britain

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I think we could use a few 'specific' examples. I guess I don't see much racism, discrimination and xenophobia in 2022 in first-world countries like Britain. I also see some often-unjustified claims of racism, discrimination and xenophobia.

So, I'd like to see these specific examples that are creating a clear and present public health threat.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I guess I don't see much racism, discrimination and xenophobia in 2022 in first-world countries like Britain.

From the article:

The health consequences of these social and political drivers are evident worldwide. In the UK for example, higher mortality rates were seen amongst the Black African, Black Caribbean, Bangladeshi, Pakistani and Indian ethnic groups in the second COVID-19 wave. Migrant groups and others—such as the ‘scheduled castes’ in India—are often particularly disadvantaged by barriers to healthcare imposed by governments. Similarly, Indigenous populations across the world have suffered from poorer health outcomes including lower life expectancy, higher infant and maternal mortality and malnutrition.

Also, a few wealthy and militarily powerful countries—including those of them that are developed—are among the primary perpetrators of neocolonialist and exploitative policies toward other countries, often to the detriment of the latter's populations. For example:

A forgotten community: The little town in Niger keeping the lights on in France | African Arguments

Areva in Africa; the hidden face of French nuclear power | Wise International

Also:

The scale of the UK’s involvement in Africa’s resources is staggering. So too is its disregard for the rights of those affected | African Arguments

The ongoing exploitation of Africa | Revealing Histories

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
From the article:

Also, a few wealthy and militarily powerful countries—including those of them that are developed—are among the primary perpetrators of neocolonialist and exploitative policies toward other countries, often to the detriment of the latter's populations. For example:

A forgotten community: The little town in Niger keeping the lights on in France | African Arguments

Areva in Africa; the hidden face of French nuclear power | Wise International

Also:

The scale of the UK’s involvement in Africa’s resources is staggering. So too is its disregard for the rights of those affected | African Arguments

The ongoing exploitation of Africa | Revealing Histories
OK, but there you are talking about rich/poor health differences that have always existed.

But I still don't see the justification of the terms racism, discrimination and xenophobia in the year 2022. There might still be exploitation but is it based on racism, discrimination and xenophobia or 'behind the scenes' economic decisions that most people cannot even explain or understand clearly?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I think we could use a few 'specific' examples. I guess I don't see much racism, discrimination and xenophobia in 2022 in first-world countries like Britain. I also see some often-unjustified claims of racism, discrimination and xenophobia.

So, I'd like to see these specific examples that are creating a clear and present public health threat.

According to the linked article, they are still looking for supporting evidence.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member

maybe you should stop burying your head in the sand and you would then see the evidence

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
I know where my head is, do you know what happened to yours??