• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Citizen’s Bill of Responsibilities

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
In posting in another thread, I thought of a citizen's responsibilities that balance someone's rights. I found this page in what to me is an odd web site A Citizen’s Bill of Responsibilities

Maybe others have an opinion on the balance and lack thereof in various countries and political parties today.

The (Boy Scouts) Citizenship manual explained that “citizen” was another word for “member,” that every young man was a member of a town, a state, and the nation, and that membership in these bodies, just like membership in any other organization, was a two-way street — it came with both benefits and duties.

4. The right to enjoy natural resources./The responsibility to preserve and conserve public parks and lands.

5. The right to welfare assistance./The responsibility to be as self-supporting as possible.

6. The right to use public libraries, roads, transportation, parks, police/fire services, etc./The responsibility to pay the taxes which support such services.

7. The right to free speech and protest./The responsibility to offer informed opinions and constructive criticism, and to uphold the free speech of others.

8. The right to equality under the law./The responsibility to stand for the equal rights and opportunities of others.

A good citizen has a ‘Bill of Responsibilities’ to live up to as well as a Bill of Rights to live under.

Democracy is thus a two-way partnership: citizens receive certain rights, services, and protections from the government, and in turn offer their money, time, knowledge, and commitment towards maintaining these privileges. Individual rights must always be matched with individual responsibilities; one cannot hope to have a healthy democracy if citizens are solely focused on what they can get, to the exclusion of what they can give.

1. The right to a fair trial./The responsibility to serve willingly on a jury when called.

...When these kinds of engaged citizens try to duck their duty, jury pools are left only with those who aren’t “clever” enough to find an out, the unemployed, and the retired. This hardly makes for a jury of one’s peers.

Were you to be accused of a crime, you’d want a diverse, savvy jury hearing your case; give other people the same privilege by willingly serving when called to do so.

2. The right to free (and/or government supported) schooling./The responsibility to take full advantage of one’s education.

While we often think we have the right to goof off in school, that it only affects ourselves, if you’re attending a publicly funded institution or using publicly funded loans to finance your education, you’re goofing off on someone else’s dime. Factory workers and doctors, teachers and firefighters, are laboring 40-80 hours a week, and giving up chunks of their paychecks so you can play Fallout 4 and flunk your biology class.

If you’re a student, make good on your fellow citizens’ investment in you, by taking full advantage of your education and equipping yourself to leave school able to strengthen your community and country.

4. The right to enjoy natural resources./The responsibility to preserve and conserve public parks and lands.

Our national parks are some of our greatest treasures, and our local parks some of our most appreciated retreats. Government provides access to these wild and bucolic preserves; citizens are charged with following “leave no trace” principles, practicing fire safety, and keeping them clean and pristine.

5. The right to welfare assistance./The responsibility to be as self-supporting as possible.
The government’s aid programs are designed to help those who have no other options for assistance — as a safety net when all else fails. Citizens have the responsibility of only availing themselves of such programs out of true and honest need, and making a best faith effort to decrease the chances of falling into that fix: working when possible, exercising financial prudence, and maintaining healthy habits. No one is ever entirely self-sufficient, but striving towards that goal ensures that welfare goes to those who really need it, lightens the burden on the system, and frees funds to be put towards other important projects, thus strengthening the nation.

6. The right to use public libraries, roads, transportation, parks, police/fire services, etc./The responsibility to pay the taxes which support such services.
Nobody likes paying taxes. But nearly all of us like to drive all over town and across the country on paved roads, eat non-contaminated food, and read reams of books for free. Nearly all of us want to know that the police and fire department would come to our aid in an emergency. All of these services, and many more, rely on tax money to exist. If you take from the pot, you also have to put into it.

7. The right to free speech and protest./The responsibility to offer informed opinions and constructive criticism, and to uphold the free speech of others.

...the right to speak freely comes with the responsibility to listen earnestly. It requires, as the Citizenship manual puts it, “keeping an open mind, trying to understand [others’] viewpoints, considering the minority opinion on a question and cooperating with the majority opinion, once it is accepted.”

8. The right to equality under the law./The responsibility to stand for the equal rights and opportunities of others.

9. The right to bear arms./The responsibility to train yourself in the safe and effective use of your firearm.

11. The right to publish anything short of sedition and slander./The responsibility to vet and examine published information.

12. The right to happiness./The responsibility to contribute to that happiness by living virtuously.

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
Absolutely!

That’s how I was raised and that is how I raised my children. I’d be disappointed if they did not raise their own the same way.

Humbly
Hermit

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Ever since I was very young I've thought that the Constitution should be amended to include such a specification of responsibilities...I might quibble with some of these wordings, but overall I think a lot of people would do good to think very carefully about their responsibilities to a civic nation

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It's not a bad idea, really. We've heard far too often during this pandemic the belief "I have the right to do what I want." Amd the result was a freedom without responsibility that refused to comply with even minor inconveniences and let a deadly virus become deadlier.
We really do need to learn we have a responsibility towards eachother.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Ever since I was very young I've thought that the Constitution should be amended to include such a specification of responsibilities...
I'd rather not give government a great deal more
control over us, even though intentions are good.
Always remember....
The power to do something for you
is the power to do something to you.
And this power changes hands
completely at least every 8 years.

Last edited:

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I'd rather not give government a great deal more
control over us, even though intentions are good.
Always remember....
The power to do something for you
is the power to do something to you.
And this power changes hands
completely at least every 8 years.
who said anything about giving government more control? The Constitution controls what government can do. Any such amendment would specify the responsibility of citizens to making the system work.

I want THE PEOPLE to start acting like adults instead of spoiled brats and bratteses, whining about their rights without taking any responsibility about making society work. It starts with people teaching their children, and it grows from there.

PureX

Veteran Member

A good citizen has a ‘Bill of Responsibilities’ to live up to as well as a Bill of Rights to live under.

9. The right to bear arms./The responsibility to train yourself in the safe and effective use of your firearm.

11. The right to publish anything short of sedition and slander./The responsibility to vet and examine published information.

12. The right to happiness./The responsibility to contribute to that happiness by living virtuously.
That crap will NEVER fly in Trumplandia!

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
We wouldn't need to rely on luck if MOST of the people acted like mature persons and take part in making sure the government doesn't overstep its bounds and that individuals are prevented from abusing the government and the people

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
who said anything about giving government more control? The Constitution controls what government can do. Any such amendment would specify the responsibility of citizens to making the system work.
If the "responsibility" isn't backed up with enforcement,
then it's a "suggestion".
I want THE PEOPLE to start acting like adults instead of spoiled brats and bratteses, whining about their rights without taking any responsibility about making society work. It starts with people teaching their children, and it grows from there.
Putting an unenforceable responsibility in the Constitution
will change human behavior with exactly the same efficacy
as posting the 10 Commandments in public schools.

People gonna do what people do. To change the
culture, we need another way to motivate them.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
If the "responsibility" isn't backed up with enforcement,
then it's a "suggestion".

Putting an unenforceable responsibility in the Constitution
will change human behavior with exactly the same efficacy
as posting the 10 Commandments in public schools.

People gonna do what people do. To change the
culture, we need another way to motivate them.
Did I say it would be easy? No. But throwing up hands and saying "It won't work so we have to live with the current situation and worse" doesn't offer any solutions.

So, how are you going to solve things? Keep encouraging people to be NOT responsible for their own society? How about thinking up some incentives society could set up to ensure more participation...

Frankly, I think seeing the 'suggestions' spelled out in our civic documents would go some way to making society better...after all, membership in our society is considered voluntary, so it's a least possible that some people could be shamed into not being complete ****holes...

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
In posting in another thread, I thought of a citizen's responsibilities that balance someone's rights. I found this page in what to me is an odd web site A Citizen’s Bill of Responsibilities

Maybe others have an opinion on the balance and lack thereof in various countries and political parties today.

The (Boy Scouts) Citizenship manual explained that “citizen” was another word for “member,” that every young man was a member of a town, a state, and the nation, and that membership in these bodies, just like membership in any other organization, was a two-way street — it came with both benefits and duties.

Democracy is thus a two-way partnership: citizens receive certain rights, services, and protections from the government, and in turn offer their money, time, knowledge, and commitment towards maintaining these privileges. Individual rights must always be matched with individual responsibilities; one cannot hope to have a healthy democracy if citizens are solely focused on what they can get, to the exclusion of what they can give.

1. The right to a fair trial./The responsibility to serve willingly on a jury when called.

...When these kinds of engaged citizens try to duck their duty, jury pools are left only with those who aren’t “clever” enough to find an out, the unemployed, and the retired. This hardly makes for a jury of one’s peers.

Were you to be accused of a crime, you’d want a diverse, savvy jury hearing your case; give other people the same privilege by willingly serving when called to do so.

2. The right to free (and/or government supported) schooling./The responsibility to take full advantage of one’s education.

While we often think we have the right to goof off in school, that it only affects ourselves, if you’re attending a publicly funded institution or using publicly funded loans to finance your education, you’re goofing off on someone else’s dime. Factory workers and doctors, teachers and firefighters, are laboring 40-80 hours a week, and giving up chunks of their paychecks so you can play Fallout 4 and flunk your biology class.

If you’re a student, make good on your fellow citizens’ investment in you, by taking full advantage of your education and equipping yourself to leave school able to strengthen your community and country.

Our national parks are some of our greatest treasures, and our local parks some of our most appreciated retreats. Government provides access to these wild and bucolic preserves; citizens are charged with following “leave no trace” principles, practicing fire safety, and keeping them clean and pristine.

The government’s aid programs are designed to help those who have no other options for assistance — as a safety net when all else fails. Citizens have the responsibility of only availing themselves of such programs out of true and honest need, and making a best faith effort to decrease the chances of falling into that fix: working when possible, exercising financial prudence, and maintaining healthy habits. No one is ever entirely self-sufficient, but striving towards that goal ensures that welfare goes to those who really need it, lightens the burden on the system, and frees funds to be put towards other important projects, thus strengthening the nation.

Nobody likes paying taxes. But nearly all of us like to drive all over town and across the country on paved roads, eat non-contaminated food, and read reams of books for free. Nearly all of us want to know that the police and fire department would come to our aid in an emergency. All of these services, and many more, rely on tax money to exist. If you take from the pot, you also have to put into it.

...the right to speak freely comes with the responsibility to listen earnestly. It requires, as the Citizenship manual puts it, “keeping an open mind, trying to understand [others’] viewpoints, considering the minority opinion on a question and cooperating with the majority opinion, once it is accepted.”

Marx would be proud. That sounds great!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Did I say it would be easy?
It was in the thought bubble over your head.
(I peeked.)
But throwing up hands and saying "It won't work so we have to live with the current situation and worse" doesn't offer any solutions.
Did I suggest that?
So, how are you going to solve things? Keep encouraging people to be NOT responsible for their own society? How about thinking up some incentives society could set up to ensure more participation...

Frankly, I think seeing the 'suggestions' spelled out in our civic documents would go some way to making society better...after all, membership in our society is considered voluntary, so it's a least possible that some people could be shamed into not being complete ****holes...
It is our responsibility to encourage the best in others.
It won't be perfect, easy, or permanent.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
To what daily & be unhealthily what?
Speak English, woman!
'Tis a fact. We didn't shower every day until Palmolive started telling people to, despite there being no physiological reason or benefit to shower daily and it actually being bad for the skin.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
'Tis a fact. We didn't shower every day until Palmolive started telling people to, despite there being no physiological reason or benefit to shower daily and it actually being bad for the skin.
Showering (when it's happened) has never
been rough on my skin. I like this obsession.
Go Palmolive!

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Showering (when it's happened) has never
been rough on my skin. I like this obsession.
Go Palmolive!
It's not a go them. It's unhealthy due to the excessiveness of it (constantly stripping the oils like that isn't good for the skin), along with extra water usage that isn't needed to be used.