• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Challenge to the Theist and Atheist

Segev Moran

Let us begin....first...is your God finite or infinite?
Hard question... but...

Being Finite, means you have an End.
If so, This means you have a limit.

If Something is Finite, This means it is limited by something else.
This "Limiter", Can also be either Finite (Limited), or Infinite(Unlimited).

As something cannot really limit itself, this means that there must be an initial force that was not limited by any other force and have not created itself. Thus, God MUST be infinite!!!

The same goes for the fact of God being THE creator.

Segev Moran

I don't believe this to be at all necessary.

This debate seems like it would be rather egotistical, which I believe makes it pointless.

Besides, neither point could be "proven" anyways.

Let's just say that it is wrong to place "blame" on someone else disagreeing with you.

There is nothing inherently wrong with disagreeing with theists or atheists. No one is to blame.
That's not the point here.

If you claim Creationists are wrong, You'de better know what creationists mean when they speak of something.
Same goes for the other side. Before saying Evolution is false, You need to know what evolution is.

The point of this thread is learning.

Byt someone raising a point I don't already make by myself, I get to learn both sides of the claim. The Theistic and the secular.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Hard question... but...

As something cannot really limit itself, this means that there must be an initial force that was not limited by any other force and have not created itself. Thus, God MUST be infinite!!!
A completely circular argument. And one that also introduces something to be accepted as axiomatic without ever bothering to show why ("there must be an initial force that was not limited by any other force and have not created itself.")
Non sequitur -- it does not follow from the arguments presented. It is merely an assertion -- presumably made in the hope that nobody will notice it's an assertion and accept it as something else.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Hard question... but...

Ok, God is infinite, next question.....is your God separate from the manifested universe perceived by man?

Curious George

Veteran Member
A completely circular argument. And one that also introduces something to be accepted as axiomatic without ever bothering to show why ("there must be an initial force that was not limited by any other force and have not created itself.")

Non sequitur -- it does not follow from the arguments presented. It is merely an assertion -- presumably made in the hope that nobody will notice it's an assertion and accept it as something else.
Okay, I believe you have just committed an informal fallacy. Otherwise known as felaccio de nana-nana-boo-boo. This is when you post five or more times the same post. As everyone knows that after the fourth post, saying it again does not make it more true.

Segev Moran

Ok, God is infinite, next question.....is your God separate from the manifested universe perceived by man?

Of course not.
But you should ask the question the other way around... Is the universe humans perceive separated from God?

God is not a part from the universe. The universe is a part of God.

We are all made from the same substance.
Anything we see, smell, feel, taste, hear. It is all made from the same thing.

The only difference is that God is the sum of it all.

We are an ice cube!

Imagine everything in this universe is an ice cube in a giant bowl.
Each ice-cube has its boundaries... but it is of the same water that made the other cubes.
Once the cubes melt, They all become one thing...

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Of course not.
But you should ask the question the other way around... Is the universe humans perceive separated from God?

God is not a part from the universe. The universe is a part of God.

We are all made from the same substance.
Anything we see, smell, feel, taste, hear. It is all made from the same thing.

The only difference is that God is the sum of it all.

We are an ice cube!

Imagine everything in this universe is an ice cube in a giant bowl.
Each ice-cube has its boundaries... but it is of the same water that made the other cubes.
Once the cubes melt, They all become one thing...
Hmmmm......I must say your answers are quite logical and credible, the reality represented by the concept of God you outline is an absolute, a non-duality. But being skeptical, there must be a flaw, so I must ask further questions....is God therefore in truth in me, and am I an indivisible aspect of the one God?

omega2xx

I'll start with the obvious.
no matter how you define God, Eventually, It will always leads to One.
One source.
One power that governs the universe as we know and as we don't.

You can say Gravity holds our universe, I Say God is Gravity.
You say that Your choices are based on millions of preceding decisions, I Say this is God.

God is the sum of it all.

What you say may be true, but it is just a likely it is not because you offered no evidence. Gravity is a natural element of any universe.

As we get smarter on the scientific purview, we encounter more and more wonders than ever imagined. Each discovery pops a new question.

Easily explained as man become more intelligent and builds on past scientific discoveries.

Imagine we discover a new dimension. Such one that vibrates in another frequency...
Scientifically you would say it a natural thing...
Yet spiritual realm is indeed a different dimension.

There is no evidence of a spiritual realm.

God could not have taught the ancient people science to such levels. So he described it in a short description that even today still being taught and analysed by all the monotheist in the world!

That could also happen just through then natural process every civilization goes through.

I would love to see you explaining the process of Earth being generated to a tribe member (today) that never heard of the term science.

6 Isolated Groups Who Had No Idea That Civilization Existed

( Take your pick ;) )

As a Christian I am very uncomfortable trying to show God does not exist. I think I will stick to showing why He does exist. If you ever want to play that game, count me in.

Kelly of the Phoenix

1. We [you] atheists don't have to prove anything at all, because we [you] do not make any positive claim unlike theists.
2. It is impossible to prove a negative statement.
I am currently sick. I am used to being ignored in a patronizing way in healthcare. However, as I am making the positive claim, it needs to be backed up with corresponding symptoms and perhaps lab work. I insisted on getting an antibiotic because I knew I was sick, even though with my respiratory history, it was just going to be shrugged off as an asthma problem. I'm taking antibiotics and I'm feeling better.

Long story short: yes, the person with the positive claim has to have SOMETHING to back it up.

Also, due to there being no shared experience, there might even be some physical, empirical evidence someone has that there is a god or gods, but I cannot experience it (thus not verifiable.)
Yes, it's a bit like saying I listen to a particular radio show or something but you don't own a radio and can't access one.

Dear Jay, you are now the theist and I the atheist, this can be confusing because atheists are to the core without logic and system, whatsoever.
I am a theist and I have gotten sick from seeing just how much reliance on horrendous logic many theists use. I mean, I'm a theist because I experience what I see to be a divine reality. I accept others may not see things that way. Hard to explain the color red to a colorblind person, after all. I loathe reliance on stupid arguments such as the Cosmological one, the "I don't do good in science, therefore, God" ones, etc.

If you theist do not know what is evidence, please go away, you don't belong here in a forum, period.
If you are on a forum, you are on the internet, and can educate yourself.

For example, the nose in our face is evidence of God existing in concept as first and foremost the creator and operator of the universe and man and everything with a beginning.
That doesn't even begin to make sense. These types of arguments also love to ignore the nose-less.

For example of a concept as evidence: when you have a concept of a baby and I have a concept of a baby, then we two have the evidence that you and I are capable of abstract knowledge in our mind.
Will we agree on the definition of "baby"?

In terms of "god(s)", you have everything from "some human invented something cool for us like cooking and so we deified them" to "ruler of the entire universe" or whatever. Some definitions of "gods" are more likely than others.

If you're going to simply define god as something we all know exists then it becomes meaningless. That's like saying God is the universe. Why not just say universe then?
If I love someone, do I have to call it "social bonding related hormones" or can I just call it "love"?

Prestor John

That's not the point here.

If you claim Creationists are wrong, You'de better know what creationists mean when they speak of something.
Same goes for the other side. Before saying Evolution is false, You need to know what evolution is.

The point of this thread is learning.

Byt someone raising a point I don't already make by myself, I get to learn both sides of the claim. The Theistic and the secular.
I totally agree with that.

Yet, the OP sounds as though you are looking for a d**k measuring contest.

Sanmario

Dear Segev, you say:

“[From Sanmario] So, I ask them, if you propose a concept of Bigfoot before you go forth to seek evidence of his existence, is that already a prejudgment that Bigfoot exists?

[From Segev] If you have special rituals that are all based on the assumption that it exists, then yes.. It is making a prejudgment.”
Dear Segev, do you notice that my use of the if and your use of the if are different if's?

My if means when, your if is into a conditional scenario, and I am not talking in a conditional scenario, but you are.

You see, dear Segev, there is no need to make an if condition, because with Bigfoot I am not talking with an if condition, so please don't seek to evade the idea with bringing in an if condition.

There are folks searching for Bigfoot, so they have a concept of what it is, and on that concept they set forth to look for his or its presence in the realm of existence outside and independent of thoughts in their mind.

Do you notice, dear Segev, that you could have the undesirable habit of bringing in an if condition when the talk is not at all on anything of an if scenario.

And your thread here is also, forgive me, nonsense, suggesting that atheists play theists and theists play atheists, for what purpose? so that you being an atheist and playing a theist will achieve, pray, what nonsense objective?

The thread is all Nonsense!

Instead, as you are in fact an atheist, propose that theists present their arguments of God existing and that you will topple all of them, that is the no nonsense thread that you should have gone into.

I notice that atheists have this nonsense trick, of talking in if scenario, and feeling so smug that they have rebutted the arguments of theists on God existing.

Now, I am asking you all atheists here, to work with me a theist as to concur on what is evidence, systematically examining evidence and thus getting to arrive at a mutually concurred on concept of evidence.

Systematically, not in a nonsense if scenario.

That is why I am inviting you atheists all, to first start with this statement on evidence, namely, as follows which I am repeating from my immediately preceding post from myself:

“So, if I may, starting with the OP author, please everyone put your mind to work, and see what revisions you feel should be made on this proposition in our mind:

"Evidence is something existing in reality outside and independent of our mind and/or in our mind as a thought."​

Dear readers here, let us sit back and witness how posters here will react to my thinking at this point in time.” [See Annex below.]​

Annex

Sanmario Member
Ratings:
+0
Religion:
Christian

Thanks to the author of this thread.

Now, let us all work as to concur in our respective mind on what is evidence in re God exists or not.

Here is again my gambit of a concept of evidence [see below for the post of concern].

"Evidence is anything in existence or in concept in our mind, that leads man to know the existence of another thing in objective existence or in existence in our mind."

So, can we concur in our respective mind that evidence is something at all that exists in objective reality outside of our mind and/or even just in our mind as a thought?

So, the first and very simple proposition in our minds is the following:

"Evidence is something existing in reality outside and independent of our mind and/or in our mind as a thought."

From simplicity to complexity, that is the way to do systematic thinking, instead of plunging right away into labyrinthine dense hard to sort out thoughts.

So, if I may, starting with the OP author, please everyone put your mind to work, and see what revisions you feel should be made on this proposition in our mind:

"Evidence is something existing in reality outside and independent of our mind and/or in our mind as a thought."

Dear readers here, let us sit back and witness how posters here will react to my thinking at this point in time.

Sanmario said: ↑
Now, since we are just playing a game, let me take a recess, and return to reality.

Here is my theist's concept of evidence, in the most concise and precise and simple language:

"Evidence is anything in existence or in concept in our mind, that leads man to know the existence of another thing in objective existence or in existence in our mind."

For example, the nose in our face is evidence of God existing in concept as first and foremost the creator and operator of the universe and man and everything with a beginning.

For example of a concept as evidence: when you have a concept of a baby and I have a concept of a baby, then we two have the evidence that you and I are capable of abstract knowledge in our mind.

Do you atheists here no longer playing theists but conducting yourselves as sincere, honest, good faith searchers of truths, facts, and logic, now care to put aside your self-identity as atheists, but now as sincere, honest, good faith searchers of truths, facts, and logic, care to join together with me to discuss what is evidence, in re God existing or not?

What about you do some genuine thinking on whether there can be evidence to the non-existence of something?​

#35 Sanmario, Yesterday at 4:10 AM​

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
And your thread here is also, forgive me, nonsense, suggesting that atheists play theists and theists play atheists, for what purpose? so that you being an atheist and playing a theist will achieve, pray, what nonsense objective?

The thread is all Nonsense!
Once again, the healthy ability to cultivate arguments outside your worldview to facilitate understanding the other party better, and giving fair trial to their arguments is the point.
Arguing a position you do not personally have is a common occurrence in formal debates and in law, and a good exercise in considering all angles of a subject and understanding the minds of people who hold opposite views.

If you don't want to take the opposite position, that's fine, but don't try and force the thread into being what you want it to be

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Okay, I believe you have just committed an informal fallacy. Otherwise known as felaccio de nana-nana-boo-boo. This is when you post five or more times the same post. As everyone knows that after the fourth post, saying it again does not make it more true.
Okay, very funny. However, just so you know, I was sitting in a place with absolutely abysmal wifi connection that refused to respond, so I had no idea whether the thing was posted or not. And you will, I think, allow that I made every effort to quickly (as much as possible in the circumstance) delete the duplicated posts.

So, meantime, anything else that you'd like to say against my argument?

Curious George

Veteran Member
Okay, very funny. However, just so you know, I was sitting in a place with absolutely abysmal wifi connection that refused to respond, so I had no idea whether the thing was posted or not. And you will, I think, allow that I made every effort to quickly (as much as possible in the circumstance) delete the duplicated posts.

It was a joke, it has happened to me before as well. I fully expect for you to bust my chops if you catch it in time when it happens to me again, as I'm sure it will.

Curious George

Veteran Member

Regards to your actual argument, it was a good assessment (despite not maintaining the spirit of the thread as you are an atheist).