• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Career in Christian Apologetics

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
We live in a golden age of apologetics. There are more books, curricula, blogs, conferences, academic programs, and people interested in apologetics than ever before. As my friend (and boss) Craig Hazen says, “Apologetics is a growth industry.”

Part of the vision of our Biola M.A. Christian Apologetics program is to train apologists to be a resource for the local church. In fact, our dream is that churches would consider the need for a “Pastor or Apologetics” as important as a men’s ministry leader or a youth pastor. Until this dream becomes a reality, here’s a few ways to make a career in apologetics (If you think I have missed any, please let me know):

How Can You Make a Career in Apologetics?

TheBestSchools.org has researched the top apologetics graduate degrees in the United States and ranked them according to the quality of faculty, level of accreditation, diversity of degrees offered, cost, and overall accessibility.

The Top 10 Graduate Programs in Christian Apologetics | The Best Schools

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
We live in a golden age of apologetics. There are more books, curricula, blogs, conferences, academic programs, and people interested in apologetics than ever before. As my friend (and boss) Craig Hazen says, “Apologetics is a growth industry.”

Part of the vision of our Biola M.A. Christian Apologetics program is to train apologists to be a resource for the local church. In fact, our dream is that churches would consider the need for a “Pastor or Apologetics” as important as a men’s ministry leader or a youth pastor. Until this dream becomes a reality, here’s a few ways to make a career in apologetics (If you think I have missed any, please let me know):

TheBestSchools.org has researched the top apologetics graduate degrees in the United States and ranked them according to the quality of faculty, level of accreditation, diversity of degrees offered, cost, and overall accessibility.

It seems you need a school for everything.

Just write a book and get it published.

Skwim

Veteran Member
And what a career it will be - Living the good life.

27969804329_eab8846197.jpg

Point being, I doubt that more than a half dozen Christian apologists will ever make a decent living.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

Point being, I doubt that more than a half dozen Christian apologists will ever make a decent living.

Well if they do not make it as a Christian Apologist there are plenty of openings for TV evangelists or mega church preachers.

David T

Premium Member

Read kierkegaard....

So you all think the church needs In house marketing experts? . So. Marketing is the problem. Better packaging? Better presentation? Ironically what your professor says is totally unbiased isn't it. Clear headed reasoning isn't a staple of university professors at all. In fact it's exactly the opposite. I would like to know is he the marketing expert in a large huge church? Who's the expert in joel osteens Church? How about calvary down there, Rick warren. What happened to Bob schuller he had it going baby big church. Oh he died. Never mind. Personalities.

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Read kierkegaard....

So you all think the church needs In house marketing experts? . So. Marketing is the problem. Better packaging? Better presentation? Ironically what your professor says is totally unbiased isn't it. Clear headed reasoning isn't a staple of university professors at all. In fact it's exactly the opposite. I would like to know is he the marketing expert in a large huge church? Who's the expert in joel osteens Church? How about calvary down there, Rick warren. What happened to Bob schuller he had it going baby big church. Oh he died. Never mind. Personalities.

I was actually hoping for a gig in West Virginia...

141e08ed581ee2108338202fca0e71f7--poisonous-snakes-serpents.jpg

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
One very well written and system-destabilizing book could destroy that industry. Its very fragile.

David T

Premium Member
I was actually hoping for a gig in West Virginia...

141e08ed581ee2108338202fca0e71f7--poisonous-snakes-serpents.jpg
See the future is snakes!!! But he has been snake bit a lot so he is a bit biased. Kids need to take professors with a grain of salt. They should have these on all college campuses. In the humanitiesMost professors are fairly untalented bunch that's why they are professors. A bit like learning singing from a lipsync expert.i am not sure that's really really singing. That's my own 2 bits. I am almost convinced the text was a something lived explained today by those as a something read. Just a guess.
Bayo inspecting salt mound.jpg

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member

I confess to having a low opinion of apologetics.

Apologetics ('defending') puts the apologist in the role of the defense attorney, committed not to what is true but only to getting the client off the hook.

Whole areas of enquiry are ruled out by diktat, and whole sets of compulsory pre-determined answers stand in their place. The reality of God, the doctrine of the Trinity (in Trinitarian churches), was there a Fall of Man, can omni powers be anything but imaginary, are all examples of such areas.

It's doublethink country at best. At worst it's cultivated dishonesty.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I confess to having a low opinion of apologetics.

Apologetics ('defending') puts the apologist in the role of the defense attorney, committed not to what is true but only to getting the client off the hook.

Whole areas of enquiry are ruled out by diktat, and whole sets of compulsory pre-determined answers stand in their place. The reality of God, the doctrine of the Trinity (in Trinitarian churches), was there a Fall of Man, can omni powers be anything but imaginary, are all examples of such areas.

It's doublethink country at best. At worst it's cultivated dishonesty.

I was surprised that one could get a graduate degree in apologetics.

Grandliseur

Your picture demonstrates why God wants children to be born in families where there are two parents, a father and a mother to care and nourish them.
And, if you want to see the devil incarnated, all you need is to look at the news article where we had two such and 13 children, both parents with demonic expressions on their faces.

And, unbelievers cannot understand why we want the kingdom to come and erase this world and establish a Paradise on earth. :( I see plenty of reasons to want God to change things in this world. Even Sweden has become believers in a soon to happen WWIII. The news indicate something coming soon to all our doorsteps.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Your picture demonstrates why God wants children to be born in families where there are two parents,
I work with children clients, with most of them living with both parents. Some of them have separated biological parents, and some of them end up with having their biological parents and step parents. Some only have one parent. I have two brothers as clients, their mom has attachment issues because she herself was removed from her home as a child and has attachment issues as an adult, and step-dad is a buffoon who thinks violence and threats are suitable parenting techniques. If god gave a crap about parents and the quality of life for children, I'd be out of a job. But, where was god when I had to tell four kids that mom isn't showing up and I had to cancel the visitation? Where will god be when mom goes to jail and these kids are heartbroken because they won't be able to see mom for awhile? What will god be doing while this mom is thrown in jail and these kids get passed around some more? Will he be there comforting them and teaching them, or will he stand idle while these kids learn relationships--even with those who are supposed to be helping them--aren't worth forming because they don't last and someone's going to mess them up anyways, and the next face becomes just another face? Is god going to prevent such attachment issues from forming? I see them forming already, and it's not looking good for their future.
And throughout history, child rearing hasn't just been the parents but the community as a whole. We've also tended to have what we call "distant relatives" nearby.
And, unbelievers cannot understand why we want the kingdom to come and erase this world and establish a Paradise on earth.
We understand just fine. What we don't understand is why you can't accept and deal with the fact you share this world with others, and not everyone is eager to see it destroyed? Some of us aren't so down that we want to see it all burnt down and "erased." It actually bothers some of us knowing that some believers wouldn't see a nuclear detonation on a major city as a devastating trauma but rather as signs of good things to come. That's pretty sadistic when you think about it.

Grandliseur

We understand just fine. What we don't understand is why you can't accept and deal with the fact you share this world with others, and not everyone is eager to see it destroyed? Some of us aren't so down that we want to see it all burnt down and "erased." It actually bothers some of us knowing that some believers wouldn't see a nuclear detonation on a major city as a devastating trauma but rather as signs of good things to come. That's pretty sadistic when you think about it.
In the material above this quote, you seem to have it in for God quite a bit. He gave us intelligence, the ability to make society according to moral values. He is not going to come and do your work for you.

As to this world being destroyed, it is not God who wants it destroyed but the devil because if he has to die, he wants all others to die also. Thus, the prophesied great calamity that is coming is not God's doing but our own indulgence in weapons of mass destruction and war over our resources.

God, however, promises to install a Paradise on earth governed by his just edicts, where all these evils of our own making will be no longer. Where from that point on, government shall not be by the haphazard means of Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Trump, or more benign rulers such as the fine president we just saw leaving office a short time back. No, from that moment on, it shall be a Theocracy where our poverty and drug use, the horrible things we see - shall be no more.

Isn't that what you really would like to see? A place where you could get another job doing things to bring joy instead of trying to undo the lacks of so many!
I do not want WWIII, but it is coming nonetheless. Just look at China, and Russia. Nearly every day we hear about new pushings for preparation of war.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
In the material above this quote, you seem to have it in for God quite a bit.
I don't have it in for god. I am pointing out that despite these claims that "god wants this" and "god does that," god isn't the one who came up with the concept of child abuse. I was also pointing out your claim is flawed, in referring the slum apartments and saying that's why god wants "both parents" raising a child, when in reality having both parents doesn't guarantee anything for the child, and historically even the writers of the Bible would not recognize a "nuclear family" as a model of family, they would be asking "what this person and that person?"
Isn't that what you really would like to see?
No. I wouldn't want a theocracy run by a "my way or the highway" dictator. It would be nice if crime went away, and we had peace, but not if it's going to be an ultra-exclusive club.
A place where you could get another job doing things to bring joy
Who said anything about it not bringing joy? Being autistic, I get tons of growth from it, and it challenges me in a meaningful way. For clients, for many they find joy when they learn how to cope with their issues and become more functional. On the DCS side, there is usually much joy in families being reunited. Sometimes a child finds joy, and love, being placed with a foster family. God isn't there doing this work.
He gave us intelligence, the ability to make society according to moral values.
And yet the less we have come to rely on god for morality, the more just and equitable our societies have become. "All men are created," the preamble of the Declaration of Independence, Thomas Jefferson more-or-less plagiarized John Locke, not the Bible.

As to this world being destroyed, it is not God who wants it destroyed but the devil
Why would the devil want it destroyed if it means the end for him? Seems to me he would have a great interest and desire in keeping it around. It also seems to me that you are the wanting wanting it torn down to get your theocratic dictatorship installed.