• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Call for Unity in America

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
My personal life situation leaves a lot to be desired :( but I could not be happier about the results of the election. :)

Admittedly, I was worried on election night when it appeared as if Trump was winning, and after that I was on edge until the picture started to become clearer, but the relief came on Saturday morning when I turned on the news. Biden is clearly calling for unity in America.

This is the beginning of a fulfillment of all my hopes and dreams as a Baha’i because I see it as the beginning of the fulfillment of what Baha’u’llah taught -- the unity of mankind and equality and justice for all regardless of race, religion or gender.

For Baha’is, the unity of mankind means that we are all part of the human race because we all proceed from the same Source, God, and that we are all part of that whole.

“The utterance of God is a lamp, whose light is these words: Ye are the fruits of one tree, and the leaves of one branch. Deal ye one with another with the utmost love and harmony, with friendliness and fellowship. He Who is the Day Star of Truth beareth Me witness! So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth. The one true God, He Who knoweth all things, Himself testifieth to the truth of these words.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 288

“So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth.” That is what I see happening.

Unity does not mean we agree about everything. It simply means that we can work together with a common purpose to accomplish a common goal. I see that happening now in America, and I am so happy.

“Consider the world of created beings, how varied and diverse they are in species, yet with one sole origin. All the differences that appear are those of outward form and colour. This diversity of type is apparent throughout the whole of nature.

Behold a beautiful garden full of flowers, shrubs, and trees. Each flower has a different charm, a peculiar beauty, its own delicious perfume and beautiful colour. The trees too, how varied are they in size, in growth, in foliage—and what different fruits they bear! Yet all these flowers, shrubs and trees spring from the self-same earth, the same sun shines upon them and the same clouds give them rain.....

Thus should it be among the children of men! The diversity in the human family should be the cause of love and harmony, as it is in music where many different notes blend together in the making of a perfect chord.....

Likewise, when you meet those whose opinions differ from your own, do not turn away your face from them. All are seeking truth, and there are many roads leading thereto. Truth has many aspects, but it remains always and forever one.

Do not allow difference of opinion, or diversity of thought to separate you from your fellow-men, or to be the cause of dispute, hatred and strife in your hearts.

Rather, search diligently for the truth and make all men your friends.”Abdu'l-Baha, Paris Talks, pp. 51-53

Excerpts from: BEAUTY AND HARMONY IN DIVERSITY

I also see the very beginning of promises in the Bible starting to be fulfilled.

Isaiah 11:6-9 The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them. And the cow and the bear shall feed; their young ones shall lie down together: and the lion shall eat straw like the ox.And the sucking child shall play on the hole of the asp, and the weaned child shall put his hand on the cockatrice' den. They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain: for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the Lord, as the waters cover the sea.

I believe that those verses mean that in the future everyone will believe in God and people of diverse religions and races will become friends and companions. Eventually the contentions of races, the differences of religions, and the barriers between nations will be completely removed.

I believe that the following verse has the same essential meaning as Isaiah 11:6-9
I believe that Jesus is promising that He will bring everyone together into one fold, and there will be only one race of men, the human race.

John 10:16 And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.

I believe that God’s Purpose is to unite humanity. Obviously, this is going to take a very long time, but I see the beginnings of it starting to unfold in America and around the world.

The following was written in 1941.

“God’s purpose is none other than to usher in, in ways He alone can bring about, and the full significance of which He alone can fathom, the Great, the Golden Age of a long-divided, a long-afflicted humanity. Its present state, indeed even its immediate future, is dark, distressingly dark. Its distant future, however, is radiant, gloriously radiant—so radiant that no eye can visualize it............” The Promised Day is Come, p. 116

God’s Purpose

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Biden claims a willingness for bipartisan politics and some of his past history can verify that, but that was then and this is now.

One thing for certain would be compulsory healthcare and the green new deal will never surface as as a bipartisan effort. That will always be divided unless something spectacular and impressive happens where a deal can be pulled off.

I do hope the country can be reunited along political lines however.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I am still far from seeing unity in the last election. While I share your happiness at the election results, I think its good for us to note that those that did not see the results they wanted are not all feeling warm, fuzzy, and that we can all come together. And its important to acknowledge their feelings.

Back when Trump was elected initially, the reaction the Left got was "Ha! Take that! In your face!" If we are going to really have unity, the Left needs to be careful not to 'return the favor', even if they feel its merited. These people are upset now, and we need to show kindness of all sides. They're not being ogres; something has been lost that was important to them. You may not be able to reconcile political views, but we can all relate to loss. We don't have to wish Trump had won the presidency in order to be compassionate to our neighbors. And while some Trump supporters are militant and unpalatable, the vast majority of them are just normal people, with a mixture of positive and negative attributes(the same can be said for Biden supporters, as well).

I'd like unity, but I'm not holding my breath.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Admittedly, I was worried on election night when it appeared as if Trump was winning, and after that I was in edge until the picture started to become clearer, but the relief came on Saturday morning when I turned on the news. Biden is clearly calling for unity in America.

This is the beginning if a fulfillment of all my hopes and dreams as a Baha’i because I see it as the beginning of the fulfillment of what Baha’u’llah taught -- the unity of mankind and equality and justice for all regardless of race, religion or gender.
If you didn't feel that way during the 2008 presidential election, you have zero reason to feel that way now. The atmosphere in America was ecstatic over the election of Obama as the first "black" president. We truly believed in his hope and change. We thought it was a new day in America. I even attended a rally of his at the Statehouse here after Sunday Mass during his 2008 campaign (wasn't hard as the Catholic cathedral here is like 2 blocks from the Statehouse). He played an anthemic song by a favorite band of mine to walk out to, even. It was all very electrifying. I even heard a really emotional man chanting his name throughout the night in my normally quiet street when he was announced the clear winner. But he ended up being one of the most disappointing presidents in US history. He was handed a bad hand and made things even worse.

No one cares about Biden. He's not an icon or movement like Obama or even Trump. Obama was the modern JFK, who is Biden? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
No one cares about Biden. He's not an icon or movement like Obama or even Trump. Obama was the modern JFK, who is Biden? :rolleyes:
As many have observed and commented, including Obama, Biden is someone we can put in the background and forget about. After four years of Trump that alone does have appeal. A return to normal that wasn't ideal, but it didn't include a screeching baboon in the Oval Office beating his chest and and slinging feces.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
As many have observed and commented, including Obama, Biden is someone we can put in the background and forget about. After four years of Trump that alone does have appeal. A return to normal that wasn't ideal, but it didn't include a screeching baboon in the Oval Office beating his chest and and slinging feces.
I'm replying to the OP as it stands, not an apology for Biden (although it does prove my point).

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I'm replying to the OP as it stands, not an apology for Biden (although it does prove my point).
It's not an apology. That's who he is. Obama stole the spotlight because he's an incredibly talented speaker. Trump hogged it because he's highly inflammatory and often telling outrageous lies. Biden hasn't done a whole lot more than just be there.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Back when Trump was elected initially, the reaction the Left got was "Ha! Take that! In your face!" If we are going to really have unity, the Left needs to be careful not to 'return the favor', even if they feel its merited. These people are upset now, and we need to show kindness of all sides.
In agree, we should not act like that because such an attitude is not conducive to unity. I agree we need to show kindness to all sides. Of course they are upset but that was unavoidable because somebody had to win, and it was the will of the people that Biden won, so I think Trump and his supporters should just accept that reality. Adults accept reality.

And it is not as if Trump did not have his time in office. Now it's Biden's turn. He waited long enough.
I am not holding my breath either but I have a renewed hope.
But these things take time.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Biden claims a willingness for bipartisan politics and some of his past history can verify that, but that was then and this is now.

One thing for certain would be compulsory healthcare and the green new deal will never surface as as a bipartisan effort. That will always be divided unless something spectacular and impressive happens where a deal can be pulled off.

I do hope the country can be reunited along political lines however.
I'd be thrilled if somehow "Medicare for anyone who wants it" could get enacted into law.

And the green new deal has pieces that don't require a vote. For example, this could be done by the Agriculture Department: working collaboratively with farmers and ranchers in the United States to remove pollution and greenhouse gas emissions from the agricultural sector as much as is technologically feasible

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
If you didn't feel that way during the 2008 presidential election, you have zero reason to feel that way now. The atmosphere in America was ecstatic over the election of Obama as the first "black" president. We truly believed in his hope and change. We thought it was a new day in America. I even attended a rally of his at the Statehouse here after Sunday Mass during his 2008 campaign (wasn't hard as the Catholic cathedral here is like 2 blocks from the Statehouse). He played an anthemic song by a favorite band of mine to walk out to, even. It was all very electrifying. I even heard a really emotional man chanting his name throughout the night in my normally quiet street when he was announced the clear winner. But he ended up being one of the most disappointing presidents in US history. He was handed a bad hand and made things even worse.
Back in 2008 was not the time for big changes, it was not according to God's will. That was just the beginning, and the change was having our first black president. Had it been the time for things to really change and keep changing for the better, Trump would not have been elected. I believe that Trump derailed everything and got things off track but he was elected for a reason, so things would really fall apart and people would be more motivated to work together and try to make a better world. The darkest hour (Trump) is just before the dawn (Biden and Harris), but the sun has not yet come up. That is how I see it. ;)
But what is in an icon? For me, character, sincerity and ability to do the job is what matters, not how flashy someone is.
Trump was flashy but look where it got us. :rolleyes: :(

I think we will find out who Biden is as time goes on. He has just been elected!

Heyo

Veteran Member
Back when Trump was elected initially, the reaction the Left got was "Ha! Take that! In your face!" If we are going to really have unity, the Left needs to be careful not to 'return the favor', even if they feel its merited. These people are upset now, and we need to show kindness of all sides.
I'm a fan of the golden rule (more accurately the categorical imperative) and reciprocity is a staple of justice.
Therefore it is important to treat the republicans as they want to be treated. They like to be dominated (or dominate). Co-operation is not in their playbook. If you don't dominate them, they will dominate you. Every transaction with them has to be under the clear understanding of who is boss.

That doesn't mean that democrats can't extend a hand, it just means that they have to know that they can't take the whole arm.
It takes two to tango.

PAUL MARKHAM

Biden only just won, because Trump is an awful candidate.

This President will be proof you're not getting anyone who will make changes.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I'm a fan of the golden rule (more accurately the categorical imperative) and reciprocity is a staple of justice.
Therefore it is important to treat the republicans as they want to be treated. They like to be dominated (or dominate). Co-operation is not in their playbook. If you don't dominate them, they will dominate you. Every transaction with them has to be under the clear understanding of who is boss.

That doesn't mean that democrats can't extend a hand, it just means that they have to know that they can't take the whole arm.
It takes two to tango.

I think this makes good sense with the dealings in DC, but not with your average person who just voted Republican. They don't really have a 'one size fits all' personality.

Heyo

Veteran Member
I think this makes good sense with the dealings in DC, but not with your average person who just voted Republican. They don't really have a 'one size fits all' personality.
I agree. And I expect the divisions, if not to heal, to be pushed more to the background once most of the Trump fans get down from their high.
And I expect/fear the democratic politicians to fold to the bullying republicans again, Biden being first. That's what my post was mostly about.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I wish both parties could start acting like grown ups, and less like school children... we will wait and see.

More than anything, I'd love to be able to say, for some presidential election during my lifetime, "both candidates were decent, respectful, and qualified, and it was a tough choice..."

Or maybe even say it of multiple party's candidates...but that's just dreaming too big there.

Last edited:

nPeace

Veteran Member
My personal life situation leaves a lot to be desired :( but I could not be happier about the results of the election. :)

Admittedly, I was worried on election night when it appeared as if Trump was winning, and after that I was on edge until the picture started to become clearer, but the relief came on Saturday morning when I turned on the news. Biden is clearly calling for unity in America.

This is the beginning of a fulfillment of all my hopes and dreams as a Baha’i because I see it as the beginning of the fulfillment of what Baha’u’llah taught -- the unity of mankind and equality and justice for all regardless of race, religion or gender.

For Baha’is, the unity of mankind means that we are all part of the human race because we all proceed from the same Source, God, and that we are all part of that whole.

“The utterance of God is a lamp, whose light is these words: Ye are the fruits of one tree, and the leaves of one branch. Deal ye one with another with the utmost love and harmony, with friendliness and fellowship. He Who is the Day Star of Truth beareth Me witness! So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth. The one true God, He Who knoweth all things, Himself testifieth to the truth of these words.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 288

“So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth.” That is what I see happening.

Unity does not mean we agree about everything. It simply means that we can work together with a common purpose to accomplish a common goal. I see that happening now in America, and I am so happy.

“Consider the world of created beings, how varied and diverse they are in species, yet with one sole origin. All the differences that appear are those of outward form and colour. This diversity of type is apparent throughout the whole of nature.

Behold a beautiful garden full of flowers, shrubs, and trees. Each flower has a different charm, a peculiar beauty, its own delicious perfume and beautiful colour. The trees too, how varied are they in size, in growth, in foliage—and what different fruits they bear! Yet all these flowers, shrubs and trees spring from the self-same earth, the same sun shines upon them and the same clouds give them rain.....

Thus should it be among the children of men! The diversity in the human family should be the cause of love and harmony, as it is in music where many different notes blend together in the making of a perfect chord.....

Likewise, when you meet those whose opinions differ from your own, do not turn away your face from them. All are seeking truth, and there are many roads leading thereto. Truth has many aspects, but it remains always and forever one.

Do not allow difference of opinion, or diversity of thought to separate you from your fellow-men, or to be the cause of dispute, hatred and strife in your hearts.

Rather, search diligently for the truth and make all men your friends.”Abdu'l-Baha, Paris Talks, pp. 51-53

Excerpts from: BEAUTY AND HARMONY IN DIVERSITY

I also see the very beginning of promises in the Bible starting to be fulfilled.

Isaiah 11:6-9 The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them. And the cow and the bear shall feed; their young ones shall lie down together: and the lion shall eat straw like the ox.And the sucking child shall play on the hole of the asp, and the weaned child shall put his hand on the cockatrice' den. They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain: for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the Lord, as the waters cover the sea.

I believe that those verses mean that in the future everyone will believe in God and people of diverse religions and races will become friends and companions. Eventually the contentions of races, the differences of religions, and the barriers between nations will be completely removed.

I believe that the following verse has the same essential meaning as Isaiah 11:6-9
I believe that Jesus is promising that He will bring everyone together into one fold, and there will be only one race of men, the human race.

John 10:16 And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.

I believe that God’s Purpose is to unite humanity. Obviously, this is going to take a very long time, but I see the beginnings of it starting to unfold in America and around the world.

The following was written in 1941.

“God’s purpose is none other than to usher in, in ways He alone can bring about, and the full significance of which He alone can fathom, the Great, the Golden Age of a long-divided, a long-afflicted humanity. Its present state, indeed even its immediate future, is dark, distressingly dark. Its distant future, however, is radiant, gloriously radiant—so radiant that no eye can visualize it............” The Promised Day is Come, p. 116

God’s Purpose
Stay tuned for the disappointment. :D
(Jeremiah 10:23) I well know, O Jehovah, that man’s way does not belong to him. It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step.
Psalms 146
:)

If it turns out to be legitimate result that Biden won, I think, after “democrats” have insulted Trump and his supporters a lot, it would be quite difficult take any unity ideas seriously from them. But, I am not legal citizen there, so maybe this is not a problem.

Why didn’t he speak for unity before the election? Why democrats did everything to divide the nation before the election and after Trump was elected?