• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Bug for Dan

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
@Dan From Smithville A giant moth I spotted while walking the dog this morning, actually I saw 2, the other one was being ripped apart by a magpie and feed to his fledglings. It was about 90mm from head to butt. Maybe some type of Endoxyla Endoxyla (moth) - Wikipedia . I love the fake eyes on the back.

326362317_711959200523467_7271144554312808824_n.jpg

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
I just joined Entomology Australia. Well I applied, we'll see if they accept me.

Dan From Smithville

What's up Doc?
Staff member
Premium Member

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
I'm thinking some kind of assassin bug. But that's a wild guess

The pic on the fence you can see what looks like some kind of proboscis (probably not the right word) from its mouth and folded under it

Dan From Smithville

What's up Doc?
Staff member
Premium Member
The pic on the fence you can see what looks like some kind of proboscis (probably not the right word) from its mouth and folded under it
You got that right. Rostrum works as well.

Their mouthparts are elongated and modified into a tube that lets them feed on the fluid of other animals. It fits in the groove between the front legs on assassin bugs. The head usually narrower too.

Dan From Smithville

What's up Doc?
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm trying to picture book on the internet, but not doing too well. As showy as it is, I can't imagine it hasn't been photographed once in a while. Of course, you may have some rare species. That is always possible. Cool when it happens.

Dan From Smithville

What's up Doc?
Staff member
Premium Member
I have been doing a little looking around. It may be that the true bug you have pictures of here is in the family Alydidae. Broadhead bugs. I have no idea about your fauna to conclude more than that.