• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Bug for Dan

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
Dumb question time that is probably unanswerable. It has been plaguing my thoughts ever since my attempt at humour, I had to stop half way through my morning tai chi. Is it possible for insects to become overweight? Or is that only a thing for vertebrates?
Insect nutrition is a field of study of entomologists. Just not one I have explored beyond applying what I do know to raising a limited number of species in captivity for research and also fun.

Insects as a source of human or domestic animal nutrition is also a field of study that may help.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Insect nutrition is a field of study of entomologists. Just not one I have explored beyond applying what I do know to raising a limited number of species in captivity for research and also fun.

Insects as a source of human or domestic animal nutrition is also a field of study that may help.

Not sure how accurate this is and it seems like a long winded way of saying... maybe but I'm not sure.

https://phys.org/news/2022-03-insects-fat.html

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Not sure how accurate this is and it seems like a long winded way of saying... maybe but I'm not sure.

https://phys.org/news/2022-03-insects-fat.html
It is basically saying what I am finding out through searching like you have. Insects can get fat, it just doesn't show and they often do not exist in circumstances where the possibility of getting fat exists.

I think it is a great question. Those that challenge what we think we know or haven't really thought about are some of the best questions.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
@Dan From Smithville I was 99% sure these were wasps because I've seen one chasing a spider but google says Soldier Fly. I took the pics from a video and had to crop them heaps because the camcorder wouldn't zoom in. I assume because of all the green of the compost bin or maybe the camcorder has a macro mode I haven't figured out or maybe I'm a crap videographer.

wasp01.jpg

wasp02.jpg

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
@Dan From Smithville I was 99% sure these were wasps because I've seen one chasing a spider but google says Soldier Fly. I took the pics from a video and had to crop them heaps because the camcorder wouldn't zoom in. I assume because of all the green of the compost bin or maybe the camcorder has a macro mode I haven't figured out or maybe I'm a crap videographer.

View attachment 69960

View attachment 69961
I was going to say the same thing, but Google beat me to it.

The pictures are good enough to get an identification.

It is difficult to tell on a live specimen that is flying around, but flies only have two wings. The second set of wings have evolved into a drumstick-shaped structure called halteres that act to provide balance in flight. They can be be seen in some flies more than others.

There is a small group of parasitoids related to beetles known as Strepsiptera that have the front wings modified into similar structures that I believe I recall are also called halteres.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
I was going to say the same thing, but Google beat me to it.

The pictures are good enough to get an identification.

It is difficult to tell on a live specimen that is flying around, but flies only have two wings. The second set of wings have evolved into a drumstick-shaped structure called halteres that act to provide balance in flight. They can be be seen in some flies more than others.

There is a small group of parasitoids related to beetles known as Strepsiptera that have the front wings modified into similar structures that I believe I recall are also called halteres.

I retrieved a dead scarab from the pool skimmer basket which I sat on a chair to photograph when I finished doing the pool. When I got around to it the beetle was gone and there was a very suspicious looking kookaburra sitting on the pool fence.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
We call these March or Horse Flies. Google comes up Flesh Fly (Sarcophaga) but they don't seem to be in Australia. I do know getting bitten by one is like have a red hot 4 inch nail driven into your leg.

marchfly.jpg

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
I've been trying to capture this one for days and is why I started using the camcorder because it rarely sits still. It seems to be hunting in and around my bean plants. I had no idea, google says Ctenochares bicolorus which is a type of wasp from Africa but is now an invasive species around the world.

orange.jpg

orange1.jpg

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I retrieved a dead scarab from the pool skimmer basket which I sat on a chair to photograph when I finished doing the pool. When I got around to it the beetle was gone and there was a very suspicious looking kookaburra sitting on the pool fence.
I understand kookaburras can be very diligent in their efforts to thwart entomological science and Men at Work.

Brian2

Veteran Member

It's amazing how many spiders and other crawlies I find in pool these days, floating and waiting for a chance to grab something solid to sit on. I even take pit sometimes and allow them to crawl on my hand, figuring they will be so grateful they will not bite. But do spiders feel gratitude?

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
It's amazing how many spiders and other crawlies I find in pool these days, floating and waiting for a chance to grab something solid to sit on. I even take pit sometimes and allow them to crawl on my hand, figuring they will be so grateful they will not bite. But do spiders feel gratitude?

Yes, our pool is responsible for the death of a dozen spiders daily. I don't understand how there can be any left alive in the general vicinity. We used to have a catch and release policy but 9 times out of 10 they would turn around and run straight back into the pool. We now have a catch and thwack with a thong policy.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Water traps are actual technique to collect and sample insects. A pan, sometimes of a bright color like yellow, is filled with water and left where they will collect insects that land in the water. Referred to as a pan trap.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Spiders and insects are not known to express higher emotions like gratitude. Likely, they just want to get out of the water and don't recognize you as a threat, just dry land.

I once removed a live copperhead from a trout hatchery raceway. The water was about 55F, so the snake was a little sluggish. Even though the copperhead isn't normally found in water, most snakes can swim. But this one was cold and wearing out. Even so, I wasn't thinking at all about letting it crawl up my arm. I found a location well away from people and released it.

Brian2

Veteran Member
Spiders and insects are not known to express higher emotions like gratitude. Likely, they just want to get out of the water and don't recognize you as a threat, just dry land.

I once removed a live copperhead from a trout hatchery raceway. The water was about 55F, so the snake was a little sluggish. Even though the copperhead isn't normally found in water, most snakes can swim. But this one was cold and wearing out. Even so, I wasn't thinking at all about letting it crawl up my arm. I found a location well away from people and released it.

Not all spiders are the same however.
https://www.google.com/search?q=cha...#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:a1831cdf,vid:pX1csOAu1IM