• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A boy chosen as the Panchen Lama disappeared in 1995. China says he's now a college grad with a job

danieldemol

Premium Member
‘Twenty-five years ago, a six-year-old boy was recognized as the reincarnation of the Panchen Lama, the second-highest ranking figure in Tibetan Buddhism. He promptly disappeared.

Gedhun Choekyi Nyima has never been heard from since, but on Tuesday, China said he was a college graduate with a job, and that neither he nor his family wished to be disturbed in their "current normal lives."’

Read more here: Panchen Lama: Boy chosen as Tibetan spiritual figure disappeared in 1995. China says he's a college grad with a job - CNN

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
‘Twenty-five years ago, a six-year-old boy was recognized as the reincarnation of the Panchen Lama, the second-highest ranking figure in Tibetan Buddhism. He promptly disappeared.

Gedhun Choekyi Nyima has never been heard from since, but on Tuesday, China said he was a college graduate with a job, and that neither he nor his family wished to be disturbed in their "current normal lives."’

Read more here: Panchen Lama: Boy chosen as Tibetan spiritual figure disappeared in 1995. China says he's a college grad with a job - CNN
I dont know to much about Tibetan buddhism and their reincarnation system, but it is sad to see that China once again try to damage religioues practice

Last edited:

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
I dont know to much about Tibetan buddhism and their reincarnation system, but it is sad to see that China once again try to damage religioues practice
While I'm no apologist for China's suppression of religion. State atheism is an awful idea. I also find it hard to defend a system where little boys are shanghaied into monastic life as "reincarnations" of various figures.

Last edited:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
While I'm no apologist for China's suppression of religion. State atheism is an awful idea. I also find it hard to defend a system where children are shanghaied into monastic life as "reincarnations" of various figures.
I am not sure they are "forced" in to monastic life. But as i Said, i dont know Tibetan buddhism that well. ( I was a Theravada buddhist my self when practicing Buddhism, and it was not the same reincarnation of past masters there)

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
While I'm no apologist for China's suppression of religion. State atheism is an awful idea.
I'm not sure how a country where the vast majority of the people practice the local folk religion, and where the government licenses churches, could ever be considered "state atheism."

Seems like it would be more accurate to say that the ruling party encourages atheism among its members, but if that's enough for a state to be "atheist," then Germany is a Christian theocracy.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Obviously the abduction was a political move by the Chinese government in its breaking of the authority of the Tibetan theocracy.

Tenzin Gyatso, as possibly the only globally known Buddhist, does a disservice in conflating the terms reincarnation and rebirth. If they are taken in everyday parlance to mean the same thing, then fine, use them interchangeably. But they do not in Buddhism. Reincarnation, as properly understood is not a Buddhist teaching whereas rebirth is. ("Reincarnation means there is a soul that goes out of your body and enters another body. That is a very popular, very wrong notion of continuation in Buddhism. If you think that there is a soul, a self, that inhabits a body, and that goes out when the body disintegrates and takes another form, that is not Buddhism." - Thich Nhat Hanh) *

Why does Tenzin Gyatso make this conflation? Perhaps he thinks they are interchangeable in English. Perhaps it has its roots in the indigenous Bon religion. I suspect the more fundamental reason is that he was born into his dual role (both political AND religious leader) within a theocracy. On the religious side, Buddhism teaches rebirth and that there is no soul to reincarnate in another body. But on the political authority side, reincarnation and of course public announcement and recognition of the next generation of leaders maintains the line of authority, just like a king passing it on to his male heir. This contradiction is embedded in the nature of Tibetan theocracy. Gyatso has tried to separate the roles of religious and political leadership but it is far too late.

Here is a sense of the distinction between reincarnation and rebirth, by none other than Tenzin Gyatso himself, whilst obviously wearing his religious, rather than political, hat (the big yellow one) -

"Among the ancient schools of thought, which accepted the notion of continuity of consciousness, there were several non-Buddhist philosophical schools which regarded the entity, the ‘I’ or ‘self,’ which migrated from existence to existence as being unitary and permanent. They also suggested that this ‘self’ was autonomous in its relationship to the psycho-physical components that constitute a person. In other words they believed or posited that there is an essence or ‘soul’ of the person, which exists independently from the body and the mind of the person.

However, Buddhist philosophy does not accept the existence of such an independent, autonomous entity. In the Buddhist view, the self or the person is understood in terms of a dynamic interdependent relationship of both mental and physical attributes, that is to say the psycho-physical components which constitute a person. In other words our sense of self can, upon examination, be seen as a complex flow of mental and physical events, clustered in clearly identifiable patterns, including our physical features, instincts, emotions, and attitudes, etc., continuing through time." *

* - The Buddhist Teachings on Rebirth

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
I'm not sure how a country where the vast majority of the people practice the local folk religion, and where the government licenses churches, could ever be considered "state atheism."
China tolerates religion out of what I can only assume is pragmatism. Despite this, China is officially atheist. It still claims to be a Marxist state.

Last edited: