• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A "blonde moment"

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
The other day I overheard someone describing themselves as having a "blonde moment" when referring to a temporary mental lapse.

We all have those moments when we are stupider than normal. It could be because we're pre-occupied by something, didn't get enough sleep, or our brain cells just malfunctioned, who knows. I knew exactly what she was talking about. But still I was shocked. I grew up with jokes about "dumb blondes" but hadn't heard anything like that in ages, and the stereotype seems so stupid to me now.

I was curious, do people around you still use this phrase? Is it common?

How come people don't make generalizations about eye color, that's what I want to know. Why is it only skin and hair? :areyoucra

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
It's a common-place where I work. Lots of blonde jokes, etc. Of course there are also Aggie jokes (Texas A&M alums) and so forth.

No eye-color jokes because you would have to look someone in the eye to find out whether they fit your joke or not.

All of it kind of reminds me of the original Star Trek episode "Let that be your last battlefield" where the ones who were black on the left half and white on the right half warred with their fellows who were black on the right half and white on the left half.

Last edited:

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
It's a common-place where I work. Lots of blonde jokes, etc. Of course there are also Aggie jokes (Texas A&M alums) and so forth.
Perhaps there are regional differences?

The woman I overheard was speaking online (not RF) so I don't know where she's from. I was also kinda shocked that a woman would make that remark because it seems to me that "dumb blonde" jokes are almost always aimed at women and not men. To me, there is an under-layer of sexism there. (Not that women can't be sexist against women, but it always makes me sad when I see it.)

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Most are aimed at women, yes. I have heard a few aimed at guys. Sometimes it is aimed at the supposed proclivity of guys to prefer blondes.......(I'm more attracted to women with dark hair, myself).

Comicaze247

See the previous line
Among my friends, blonde jokes and the like are told not to offend people, but just to see what terrible jokes we've heard. And the whole "blonde moment" thing isn't seen as offensive among my friends, so it's said quite often. Though I personally use the phrase "brain fart" :p

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
And the whole "blonde moment" thing isn't seen as offensive among my friends, so it's said quite often. Though I personally use the phrase "brain fart" :p
So do I. I obviously can't tell people what they should be offended by, and we tend to take offense too easily in this country, and I know that there is no conscious hostile intent there, but I can't see the "blonde moment" remark as anything other than perpetuating the stereotype that blondes are dumb.

We reinforce ideas in society by repeating them.

blond people rule the world brunettes rule wit

bonus point for who knows the ref

Last edited:

Panda

42?
Premium Member
I hear them all the time, I know some good ones actually.

I don't think it is sexism that they are primary aimed at women. I think it is sad that the only people that jokes can be made about these days with out causing offence are white middle class men. Almost all other groups would complain or something, how sad and pathetic some people are.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
I hear them all the time, I know some good ones actually.

I don't think it is sexism that they are primary aimed at women. I think it is sad that the only people that jokes can be made about these days with out causing offence are white middle class men. Almost all other groups would complain or something, how sad and pathetic some people are.
:rolleyes: Really, please tell me a joke about middle class white men, I would love to hear one because I can't think of a single one.

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
The original intent of the blonde moment was started back in the days of the so called "blonde bombshells" like Marilyn Monroe, Jayne Mansfield, Diana Dors and many more of the blondes who were famous for their bodies, bosoms, and blonde hair that supposedly was every man's dream but were all portrayed as air heads and "dizzy blondes". Apparently women didn't seem to mind the bad rap as "dumb blondes" since most teenage girls were buying peroxide by the truck load, wearing tight sweaters and proudly strutting down the street making the head turn and hearing the whistle of many adoring males.....I've heard the phrase all my life and I can remember the day I purchased my bottle of peroxide. It was fun for a while being part of an elite bunch of sexy blondes who are appreciated for more than just their academic talent.......:flirt: All women can be beautiful and sexy, and the blondes don't have a monopoly on "blonde moments"....;)

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
The original intent of the blonde moment was started back in the days of the so called "blonde bombshells" like Marilyn Monroe, Jayne Mansfield, Diana Dors and many more of the blondes who were famous for their bodies, bosoms, and blonde hair that supposedly was every man's dream but were all portrayed as air heads and "dizzy blondes". Apparently women didn't seem to mind the bad rap as "dumb blondes" since most teenage girls were buying peroxide by the truck load, wearing tight sweaters and proudly strutting down the street making the head turn and hearing the whistle of many adoring males.....I've heard the phrase all my life and I can remember the day I purchased my bottle of peroxide. It was fun for a while being part of an elite bunch of sexy blondes who are appreciated for more than just their academic talent.......:flirt: All women can be beautiful and sexy, and the blondes don't have a monopoly on "blonde moments"....;)
Which is why the phrase makes no sense.

I understand that Marilyn Monroe and Jayne Mansfield (I don't know who Diana Dors is) capitalized on the image of the "ditzy blonde." I also think that's what they did, capitalize on it. They knew they could get a certain level of power over men by adopting that personal that they couldn't get otherwise.

But whatever. I am not blonde and the only times I've colored my hair it was to either dye it jet black or to put in red highlights. If blonde women don't mind being called dumb, then carry on!

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
Which is why the phrase makes no sense.

I understand that Marilyn Monroe and Jayne Mansfield (I don't know who Diana Dors is) capitalized on the image of the "ditzy blonde." I also think that's what they did, capitalize on it. They knew they could get a certain level of power over men by adopting that personal that they couldn't get otherwise.

But whatever. I am not blonde and the only times I've colored my hair it was to either dye it jet black or to put in red highlights. If blonde women don't mind being called dumb, then carry on!
My point is for some people who require attention and even children learn at a very early age that "some" or "bad" attention is better than no attention at all. So even though it may be downgrading to a few, to many others it is a moment in the spotlight. To some the criticism would be a boost compared to a life of boredom and no attention.....;)
I've always heard that red heads have a bad temper and that green eyes are an indication of jealousy....I plead guilty on both counts.
Thanks for the discussion lilithu...good thread and I respect your pov.

Last edited:

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
My point is for some people who require attention and even children learn at a very early age that "some" or "bad" attention is better than no attention at all. So even though it may be downgrading to a few, to many others it is a moment in the spotlight. To some the criticism would be a boost compared to a life of boredom and no attention.....;)
I agree. They're not dumb. They're playing by the rules that society has given them.

Thanks for the discussion lilithu...good thread and I respect your pov.
Thank you. I enjoyed your posts too. :)

Ozzie

The other day I overheard someone describing themselves as having a "blonde moment" when referring to a temporary mental lapse.

We all have those moments when we are stupider than normal. It could be because we're pre-occupied by something, didn't get enough sleep, or our brain cells just malfunctioned, who knows. I knew exactly what she was talking about. But still I was shocked. I grew up with jokes about "dumb blondes" but hadn't heard anything like that in ages, and the stereotype seems so stupid to me now.

I was curious, do people around you still use this phrase? Is it common?

How come people don't make generalizations about eye color, that's what I want to know. Why is it only skin and hair? :areyoucra
Very common phrase with a kernel of truth behind the generalisation.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Very common phrase with a kernel of truth behind the generalisation.
Honestly, you think that the color of one's hair affects one's IQ? What, the neurons fire slower due to the light colored hair letting too much sun on the brain?

Ozzie

Honestly, you think that the color of one's hair affects one's IQ? What, the neurons fire slower due to the light colored hair letting too much sun on the brain?
No the truth is that blondes are attractive, and exploit it sexually.

Ozzie

No the truth is that blondes are attractive, and exploit it sexually in "blonde moments".