• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A bit of a rough question about slavery...

Corthos

Great Old One
Heya folks! Just to let you know ahead of time, I have a question in regards to something very dark, and I mean no disrespect...

I've read in the news and other sources that ISIS (and other extremist groups) have been taking slaves.

Now, I realize that Muhammad was AGAINST slavery, and that (either he, or the Quran) it is stated that whoever sins must free a slave. That said...

Does the Quran explicitly say that it is a sin to take slaves, or that taking slaves is an evil act? If so, I would love to see scripture in regards to that. =)

Thanks!

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity
Heya folks! Just to let you know ahead of time, I have a question in regards to something very dark, and I mean no disrespect...

I've read in the news and other sources that ISIS (and other extremist groups) have been taking slaves.

Now, I realize that Muhammad was AGAINST slavery, and that (either he, or the Quran) it is stated that whoever sins must free a slave. That said...

Does the Quran explicitly say that it is a sin to take slaves, or that taking slaves is an evil act? If so, I would love to see scripture in regards to that. =)

Thanks!

You've been using slaves too. Ever bought a pair of jeans from the store? Chances are your computer parts are made from raw materials that were mined by slaves.

Never forget that value for money often means slaves (sometimes children) working for no money in dangerous mining operations.

Corthos

Great Old One
Sigh. I missed that part.

It almost seems to me as though you saw my text and thought I was tying Islam to Slavery, and that wasn't my intention at all. I might be wrong in those regards, so I apologize if I misunderstand. I realize what you say in your original post, and I agree with your sentiments completely.

I guess that's why I was apprehensive in asking this question. I don't want to make Muslims feel bad for something that they do NOT condone, and that is out of their control. I just want to know more about what the Quran has to say on the subject. =) In specific, the act of taking slaves.

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member

Thanks!
Hello/Salam Corthos !
Thanks for post your questions here :)

as summary ISIS is gangs of criminals we (Muslims) are fighting them and their ideology.

There is many verse in Quran ask/encourage the Muslims to free slaves .

I find this video explain the point slavery in Islam

slavery in Islam

please forgive my English :)

Corthos

Great Old One
Hello/Salam Corthos !
Thanks for post your questions here :)

as summary ISIS is gangs of criminals we (Muslims) are fighting them and their ideology.

There is many verse in Quran ask/encourage the Muslims to free slaves .

I find this video explain the point slavery in Islam

slavery in Islam

please forgive my English :)

Thanks for that. =)

Corthos

Great Old One
You are very welcome, does my answser satisfy you ?

Please if you have any question about Islam don't hesitate to ask :)

It does help, but I would like some scriptures from the Quran on the subject as well, if that is possible. =)

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
It does help, but I would like some scriptures from the Quran on the subject as well, if that is possible. =)
I think Islam is may ONLY religion which encourage free the slaves .

there is many scriptures from Quran ask the Muslims to free slaves :

4-89
Allah will not impose blame upon you for what is meaningless in your oaths, but He will impose blame upon you for [breaking] what you intended of oaths. So its expiation is the feeding of ten needy people from the average of that which you feed your [own] families or clothing them or the freeing of a slave. But whoever cannot find [or afford it] - then a fast of three days [is required]. That is the expiation for oaths when you have sworn. But guard your oaths. Thus does Allah make clear to you His verses that you may be grateful.

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity
It almost seems to me as though you saw my text and thought I was tying Islam to Slavery, and that wasn't my intention at all. I might be wrong in those regards, so I apologize if I misunderstand. I realize what you say in your original post, and I agree with your sentiments completely.

I guess that's why I was apprehensive in asking this question. I don't want to make Muslims feel bad for something that they do NOT condone, and that is out of their control. I just want to know more about what the Quran has to say on the subject. =) In specific, the act of taking slaves.

No no. I had missed the fact it was the Islam DIR and I was being more generic to religion as a whole. :)

Union

Thanks!
Hi Corthos . IS , AQ etc are the enemies of Muslim and in large enemies of humanity . They must be perished from the face of the earth ASAP . What they do in the name of Islam , is just intend to blacken Islam and to spread bad impression about Muslim so that people hate Muslim and persecute them all around the world. And they , unfortunately , successful in doing so .

Whatsoever , according to Qur'an no human is allowed to claim others as his/her slave(s) :

3:79 It is not for any human being unto whom Allah had given the Scripture and wisdom and the Prophet hood that he should afterwards have said unto mankind: Be slaves of me instead of Allah; but (what he said was): Be ye faithful servants of the Lord by virtue of your constant teaching of the Scripture and of your constant study thereof.

Hope that quenches your inquiry . Thanks .

Wasp

Whatsoever , according to Qur'an no human is allowed to claim others as his/her slave(s) :

3:79 It is not for any human being unto whom Allah had given the Scripture and wisdom and the Prophet hood that he should afterwards have said unto mankind: Be slaves of me instead of Allah; but (what he said was): Be ye faithful servants of the Lord by virtue of your constant teaching of the Scripture and of your constant study thereof.

Hope that quenches your inquiry . Thanks .
That word in the verse is better translated as worshipper instead of slave. It doesn't speak about slaves.