• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A bishop in El Paso kneeled in prayer for George Floyd. Two days later, Pope Francis called

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
A bishop in El Paso kneeled in prayer for George Floyd. Two days later, Pope Francis called - CNN

200605160046-el-paso-diocese-kneels-large-169.jpg

(CNN) Catholic Bishop Mark Seitz had no idea that his act of solidarity in El Paso, Texas, would be met with a phone call of gratitude from his boss, Pope Francis.

With eyes closed, masks covering their faces, white roses in hand and handwritten signs that read "Black Lives Matter," Seitz and 12 other priests from the Diocese of El Paso knelt in silence for 8 minutes and 46 seconds on Monday.

They were praying in silence for George Floyd, a black man who died in the custody of Minneapolis police after an officer knelt on his neck for that same amount of time.

"Frankly, what I did and what I have said is only a very small way to take part in what so many are doing in their peaceful protests," Seitz said.

Two days after the clergy's prayer, Seitz had just finished celebrating Mass when he got a call on his cellphone from the pontiff himself.

In Spanish, Francis told Seitz how grateful he was for Seitz's response to Floyd's death.

"Through me, he's expressing his unity with everyone who is willing to step out and say this needs to change," Seitz said.

"This should never happen again. Wherever there is a lack of respect for human beings, where there's a judgment based on the color of their skin, this has to be rooted out.

"Whether it's in law enforcement, in business, in government, in any aspect of our society, this has to change. And now we know very clearly that the Holy Father is making this his prayer."

During Pope Francis' weekly Angelus prayer at the Vatican on Wednesday, he addressed Floyd by name in a "relatively rare" move for the Pope, according to John Allen, CNN's senior Vatican analyst.

Francis called Floyd's death "tragic" and said he is praying for him and "all those others who have lost their lives as a result of the sin of racism."

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
But arson and looting is not the reply. Gandhi's 'Satyagraha' or Martin Luther King jr.
I wonder why we focus on the few that are violent, and ignore the countless millions of others who follow Gandhi's example? Why not praise them? Why focus on the flaws, and not the peaceful revolution?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Yeah, those who engage in violence weaken the movement. Gandhi's formula was simple - Stop the movement immediately if violence occurred. Violence should never be endorsed.
Why should police action be blamed if people engage in violence?

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yeah, those who engage in violence weaken the movement. Gandhi's formula was simple - Stop the movement immediately if violence occurred. Violence should never be endorsed.
Why should police action be blamed if people engage in violence?
Police action is not criticized when people are engaged in violence. Has anyone ever suggested otherwise?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I do not know. What I see are images of arson and looting. More protests, more arson. It continues.
Loss to public and private property.
In that case, stop participating in protests. Employ some other method.
Happens in India too and when it happens here, I want police to take strict action, whatever be the cause of protest.

Last edited:

pearl

I do not know. What I see are images of arson and looting. More protests, more arson. It continues.
Happens in India too and when it happens here, I want police to take strict action, whatever be the cause of protest.

The intent of the protests are peaceful and should not be blamed for the acts of others who turn out for any reason in order to loot and destruct.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I think that is special pleading, like religion cannot be blamed for what its adherents do. The peaceful protestors also have a responsibility - perhaps fight the arsonists and looters along with the police.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The problem with that, is that a few bad apples becomes the excuse of a repressive government who doesn't like those voices protesting them peacefully in the streets, to silence them. In fact, one could make the case that supporters of the repressive regimes are the ones instigating the violence during peaceful protests, specifically for the purpose of getting the government to silence protestors.

That's why I'm in favor of how we have been handling it, allowing peaceful protests during the day, and setting a curfew at night when the violent rioters come out under the cover of night to wreak havoc. It's worked here in Minneapolis so far. They lifted the curfew last night now since that's more under control now.

Now, had Trump sent in the Army to suppress the voices of the people with force, I can guarantee, that would make the unrest skyrocket off the charts. Violence begets violence. Peaceful protesting is the way people's voice get's heard. It's the greatest enemy of autocrats. Violence they like, because it is an excuse to silence those who oppose them.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I am not sure about the current government in US (Trump), but otherwise, I believe that peaceful protest would not be objected to in Europe and US or Canada. If loot, arson and destruction of property is going on, one cannot call it a peaceful protest. Even in a peaceful protest, care should be taken about the rights of other people. The protestors should not block roads. Indian law permits that kind of protests. We had a sit-in protest in Delhi where an important road was blocked for months by protestors (Shaheen Bagh). Finally, more than the court order, it was the corona virus which broke it. Of course, it was a politically inspired protest by opposition parties. :D

Shaheen bagh - Google Search (see it, you will find it interesting. It was spear-headed by Muslim women)

Shaheen-Bagh-R-Day-1200x900-2.jpg

Last edited: