• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Bible Study - Catholic, Orthodox, and Protestant Christians Only

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
I will tentatively say that I'm in too. Can't guarantee how long I'll participate, though, as it rather depends on how the discussion goes. Might I suggest (as this is likely to prolong my participation) that we try to avoid, so far as possible, any really divisive issues such as Petrine primacy, the procession of the Holy Spirit or arguments for the doctrines of sola scriptura/sola fide?

James

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
angellous_evangellous said:
I'd like to participate, but I can't promise not to use trenchant wit or sarcasm.

EDIT: I am a card carrying member of several secret organizations, some of whom still won't let me have access to oil reserves, nuclear weapons, and the wet bar, but I consistently affirm the Christian creeds.

What about the keys to the executive washroom?

A

angellous_evangellous

sojourner said:
What about the keys to the executive washroom?

How did you know about that?

I'm the scrapegoat for everything.:shrug:

joeboonda

Hi, I am interested to view the thread, as I love Bible study, too. Can't promise how much I can be here (time and all). Since nobody has offered something to study, I wondered if anyone would be interested in studying and breaking down, commenting on, etc. this verse from John, which I feel is a wonderful promise to all Christians:

5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.
(King James Bible, John)

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
joeboonda said:
Hi, I am interested to view the thread, as I love Bible study, too. Can't promise how much I can be here (time and all). Since nobody has offered something to study, I wondered if anyone would be interested in studying and breaking down, commenting on, etc. this verse from John, which I feel is a wonderful promise to all Christians:

5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.
(King James Bible, John)
I'd say that's a pretty straight forward verse. Any one that hear's his message and believes in God who has sent him, will have everlasting life and not be condemned.

But then this question arises: What does believing consist of?

jonny

beckysoup61 said:
So I'm guessing by the title that LDS Christians are not allowed? That's okay, just confirming this fact.

I think that the description was a nice way of saying that they didn't want Mormons participating, which is ok. We don't need to be so politically correct though. ;)

A

angellous_evangellous

FWIW, I think that it's a mistake to leave the LDS out of a "Bible Study."

I'm wondering how a "Bible Study" will be different from any other thread about a Christian issue or interpretation of a verse that LDS folk regularly contribute to.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
jonny said:
I think that the description was a nice way of saying that they didn't want Mormons participating, which is ok. We don't need to be so politically correct though. ;)

The intention of FGS and mine was to cultivate the mainline Christian branches without having any perceived major differences. Not that most members in this thread agree on everything, but the differences in our opinion were within the scope of talking a similar language. We just didn't want this to turn into a "I disagree with every post" and we were trying dearly on how to word the thread without offending. Hope you understand.

~Victor

Melody

I've been having a private PM discussion with someone who thought I should perhaps not be involved in this bible study because I do not believe that Christ, God and the Holy Spirit are three distinct individuals/personalities....I forgot the word used. I believe that Christ is the human manifestation of God but is still God. They felt that this difference in belief might cause the discussion to go off on a tangent. Please don't ask me who this person was as it's not important.

I do understand where their concern is coming from but feel if this is the criteria for a bible study, it's going to knock a whole bunch of people out and make it a fairly narrow discussion. If that's what everyone wants, that's ok by me. Just putting in my .02 <grin>.

A

angellous_evangellous

Melody said:
I've been having a private PM discussion with someone who thought I should perhaps not be involved in this bible study because I do not believe that Christ, God and the Holy Spirit are three distinct individuals/personalities....I forgot the word used. I believe that Christ is the human manifestation of God but is still God. They felt that this difference in belief might cause the discussion to go off on a tangent. Please don't ask me who this person was as it's not important.

I do understand where their concern is coming from but feel if this is the criteria for a bible study, it's going to knock a whole bunch of people out and make it a fairly narrow discussion. If that's what everyone wants, that's ok by me. Just putting in my .02 <grin>.

In any event, those of us who are excluded can merrily do what we want on RF anyway. It's a big enough place for a small focus group.

Melody

In any event, those of us who are excluded can merrily do what we want on RF anyway.

AE (or am I speaking to Jelly Head)....you've already proven that point by having a debate with yourself...twice. ;)

SoyLeche

meh...
In any event, those of us who are excluded can merrily do what we want on RF anyway. It's a big enough place for a small focus group.
Actually, I think we need more small focus groups going on. Threads with everyone on board usually get bogged down quickly. I'm perfectly all right with not being invited. We're starting our own club anyway, so :we need a sticking your tounge out smiley: :)

Quiddity

Melody said:

Do you consider yourself a Trinitarian?

A

angellous_evangellous

SoyLeche said:
Actually, I think we need more small focus groups going on. Threads with everyone on board usually get bogged down quickly. I'm perfectly all right with not being invited. We're starting our own club anyway, so :we need a sticking your tounge out smiley: :)

Or everyone could just pretend that they believe what is required and confuse everyone.

How the heck do ya'll think I can keep a job as a minister?:drool:

A

angellous_evangellous

Melody said:
AE (or am I speaking to Jelly Head)....you've already proven that point by having a debate with yourself...twice. ;)

That was fun. I wish that I could have incorporated more humor into the second one, but I couldn't bring myself to joke about hell. :eek:

I might wait a while for my next debate with myself. The second one really wore me out.

Melody

Victor said:
Do you consider yourself a Trinitarian?

Give me your definition of Trinitarian. I believe there is only one God. I believe in Christ's divinity but believe He is God manifest in human form....not that he is a separate entity.

Quiddity

Melody said:
Give me your definition of Trinitarian. I believe there is only one God. I believe in Christ's divinity but believe He is God manifest in human form....not that he is a separate entity.

3 seperate beings, one nature.