• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A better world

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Fun fact - in animistic cultures where "person" means more than just human, recognizing non-humans as person did not lead to vegetarianism.
Thank you for sharing. I never heard of animism. Nice to have a glimpse of this. I like this, feels very similar to what I learned in Hinduism; God in all.

Respecting non-human persons as persons and acknowledging them as ethical subjects doesn't mean you can't dislike, kill or harm that person.
When you acknowledge the Divine in the other you don't dislike them; of course their actions can be disapproved. And maybe when you see the full picture of past/present you even won't disapprove their actions as you can see that it is just all karma (action/reaction) and meant to happen.

Rituals of animal sacrifice were, for the most part, about respecting the sacrifice of the person you kill in order to live.
My daily food prayer first line: Brahmarpanam BrahmaHavir = God(in Ritual), God(in cook, utensils, ingredients)
I like this "awareness" and gratitude while eating, instead of just eating.
I am glad there is abundance of food now, without the need to kill:)

Certainly a lot more ethical than our mass slaughterhouses where modern folk don't know the faces of the creatures they consume, frankly.
Ancient ritual were about gratitude, thereby getting more in tune with your feeling. This means more in touch with Divine Love.

stvdv

The guy was real, i saw his passport
I did not doubt for a second, that you checked his passport, knowing you "virtually" a little by now:D
So, no fake ID. In Argentina there are many man named Jesus, as in India there are Krishnas (probably way more even)
Named Jesus sounds a bit funny to me, because I was grown up with the Bible I guess.
Named Krishna does not have such feeling in me, probably because I heard that name when I was 20, for the first time.

stvdv

As for the stories, there is no such evidence of their authenticity
True.

For me the stories need not be true even. Most important for me is "what lesson can I learn from them"
For me it's about education, and not about historical facts. So, I even don't think about the stories being real/false.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Fun fact - in animistic cultures where "person" means more than just human, recognizing non-humans as person did not lead to vegetarianism. Respecting non-human persons as persons and acknowledging them as ethical subjects doesn't mean you can't dislike, kill or harm that person. Rituals of animal sacrifice were, for the most part, about respecting the sacrifice of the person you kill in order to live. Certainly a lot more ethical than our mass slaughterhouses where modern folk don't know the faces of the creatures they consume, frankly.
Anthro. 101: People are tribal. Extending moral consideration to The Other, regardless of species, is unnatural; it's a sophisticated, learned behavior.

Most food animals are conscious beings; fellow sentients, capable of fear, pain and suffering. Raising them in cruel, squalid conditions and killing them as soon as they reach marketable size doesn't strike me as particularly respectful.

Levels of plant, algal and bacterial sentience, on the other hand, are considerably lower.