1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A battle over the future of L.A. Zoo: Should it expand to compete with Disney, Universal?

Discussion in 'General Debates' started by Stevicus, Oct 20, 2021.

?
  1. Yes, it's an enjoyable recreational activity

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. Yes, and zoos are necessary for studying and learning about animals

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No, zoos are boring for me, but I don't mind them

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. No, zoos are horrible places and should be shut down

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  5. Don't know/No opinion

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  6. Other

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Stevicus

Stevicus Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +15,100
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    A battle over the future of L.A. Zoo: Should it expand to compete with Disney, Universal?

I don't know about this. I've been to the Los Angeles Zoo a number of times when I was younger, although I've gotten to the point where I don't really like zoos anyway. The L.A. Zoo has been overshadowed by the larger and more popular San Diego Zoo. San Diego also has Sea World. I've never been to the Bronx Zoo, although I've heard that that's also quite a bit bigger and more popular.

The plan sounds ambitious. They want to make L.A. one of the premiere zoos in the world, as well as compete with other major attractions in the L.A. area (such as Disneyland, Magic Mountain, etc.):

It doesn't appear to me that Los Angeles has had that much trouble attracting tourists. I've never heard any visitors to Los Angeles say "Gee, Los Angeles is really nice and has a lot of fun things to do, but I sure they wish they had a better zoo!" I don't see that a zoo has really been that much of a centerpiece of tourism in any city.

Besides, I thought zoos were waning in popularity and were coming under increased criticism from animal rights advocates. I haven't been to a zoo in decades, and I really have no interest in visiting a zoo. I know a lot of people who won't go to zoos and can't stand the entire concept of putting animals in prison as entertainment for humans. But I guess some people still like them.

2. mikkel_the_dane

mikkel_the_dane Shadow Wolf's Aspie sibling

Ratings:
    +2,298
    Religion:
    The Wrong One
    Other:

In some cases some species today rely on the population in zoos and animal parks. Wish it wasn't so, but for now that is it.

3. Laika

Laika Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +9,197
    I'm not sure I agree with the business model of expanding supply based on the assumption there will be a higher demand. That sounds like a recipe for commercial failure.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Revoltingest

Revoltingest Abnormal before it was fashionable
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +72,248
    Religion:
    Atheist
    The city owns the whole shebang,
    so it would be a government failure.
    But it could be worthwhile for the
    aging facility.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Laika

Laika Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +9,197
    ah right. So it is just a vanity project to waste other people's money. Now it makes complete sense. :D

6. exchemist

exchemist Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +13,707
    Religion:
    RC (culturally at least)
    I'm uneasy about zoos in the traditional sense.

Now that we have such good nature programmes on TV, it is not necessary to visit a zoo to see any creature on Earth. And it is obvious that many animals hate being confined and actually go crazy as a result, exhibiting obsessive repetitive behaviour, pacing, going round and round a circuit, and so on.

But I suppose a zoo that focused on rehabilitating or breeding rare or threatened species, for eventual release back into the wild, could be something I would support.

I find the options in the poll too extreme so I have not selected any.

7. Stevicus

Stevicus Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +15,100
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    I left an option for "other," but I agree with your view here.

• Like Like x 1
  8. exchemist

exchemist Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +13,707
    Religion:
    RC (culturally at least)
    OK, I've selected Other.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Stevicus

Stevicus Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +15,100
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    I noticed from the aerial view of the zoo that there's a golf course to the south, adjacent to the zoo. I wonder why they can't just expand into that area instead of the woodlands they're talking about.

10. Laika

Laika Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +9,197
    building over a golf course would upset rich people who might donate to the other party?

11. PureX

PureX Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +9,602
    Religion:
    Philosophical Taoist/Christian
    I don't see a big future in zoos as entertainment centers, and probably that's for the best. I'd say keep it small, and keep it nice, more as a traditional, somewhat educational thing to do with the kids.

12. The Hammer

The Hammer Wyrd Walker
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +9,397
    Religion:
    Pagan, Druid
    Other: Zoos should be used solely for rehabilitation and management of species close to extinction.

People would still be willing to come see how that operates. The Point Defiance zoo here is like that.