• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

(-_-)

nonbeliever_92

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...prev=/images?q=atheist&hl=en&gbv=2&tbs=isch:1

Are there people who seriously believe this about Atheism. What is the best response to such things?

atheism2.jpg

atheism.jpg

dust1n

Zindīq
Are there people who seriously believe this about Atheism. What is the best response to such things?

How many atheist's killed others solely for the reason of religious belief, in opposition to how many Christian's killed others solely for the reason of religious belief?...

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
How many atheist's killed others solely for the reason of religious belief, in opposition to how many Christian's killed others solely for the reason of religious belief?...

Why would an atheist kill for religious belief? Isn't that like a vegetarian killing a deer for meat?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Unfortunately there are plenty of people who seriously believe these things. I suppose all you can do is point out their errors.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
The best response is probably just no response, as you'd get the same response in return.

However, if you MUST respond, ask them to provide the evidence for such outlandish claims.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
Pretty much every dumb **** idea is believed by at least someone. The appropriate response? Look at them like they are a dumb **** and walk away. If they are joking, however, go along with it, and ask if they'd like to join you for a baby feast.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
Have you ever heard of Josef Stalin and the Bolsheviks?
He said 'Religious' reasons. Stalin and Bolsheviks would have done it for political power and a way to keep people in line.
Now truly I don't think a lot of 'Religious' killing are done for that reason, at lest not by the higher ups, they also do it for power and control. They use 'Religion' to convince the masses to do it for 'Religious' reasons(and they gladly to it).

tarasan

I would say people have done for rejection of religious practices, believing religion and faith was weak and should be destroyed for example stalin, now wether they did this BECAUSE they were athiest or for athiestic reasons is another case entirely

the statement "I kill religious people people because belief in a God stops advancement"

is I believe a far cry from "I believe in no god therefor I kill those who do"

this make sense?

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
The Baby picture is great...

the statement "I kill religious people people because belief in a God stops advancement"

is I believe a far cry from "I believe in no god therefor I kill those who do"

this make sense?
Not at all... anything you put after "I kill people because they believe in God" or "I kill people because they do not believe in God" will not make sense to me, and neither will trying to make a distinction in favor of one or the other...

Baydwin

He said 'Religious' reasons. Stalin and Bolsheviks would have done it for political power and a way to keep people in line.
Eh, I agree with you somewhat but it's not so cut and dry. Stalin didn't like the Church, he thought everybody should be atheist and put the state as their highest authority, he saw religion as making the country weaker.
It was more than just removing a perceived threat to his power, it was genuine religious persecuation and had as much an emotional origin as political. Did you know, for example, that he had the paintings of Orthodox Saints lined up and "executed" by firing squad?

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
You have to admit, from a political standpoint it was a powerful message about the power of the state over the power of the church.

wa:do