• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

94.5%!!!

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Finally some good Covid news. We have a second vaccine candidate out there. Moderna's virus shows an amazing 94.5% effectiveness against Covid19. There may be an end in site. Fauci was hoping for a mere 70% effectiveness:

Moderna’s COVID-19 vaccine candidate sparks market rally after achieving 94.5% efficacy in late-stage trial and requires only standard refrigeration

Please note that this vaccine is much easier to store than Pfizer's as well. Surely between the two of them the days of this virus are numbered.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
That's great news!

Looking ahead, I do have a question...

If the vaccine isn't mandatory, do you think a large percentage of the population in the US will still take it?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Finally some good Covid news. We have a second vaccine candidate out there. Moderna's virus shows an amazing 94.5% effectiveness against Covid19. There may be an end in site. Fauci was hoping for a mere 70% effectiveness:

Moderna’s COVID-19 vaccine candidate sparks market rally after achieving 94.5% efficacy in late-stage trial and requires only standard refrigeration

Please note that this vaccine is much easier to store than Pfizer's as well. Surely between the two of them the days of this virus are numbered.

Saw that on the news tonight, great news

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
Damn!
Mrs Revolt will want me to travel by air again.
For the right price, I will spin up a news website that will report whatever you want.

"BREAKING NEWS: Airlines shut down today over a dispute about lunch breaks in Revoltistan. Negotiators fear the shut down will last (days of your trip go here) days."

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
That's great news!

If the vaccine isn't mandatory, do you think a large percentage of the population in the US will still take it?

Even anti-vaxxers worship the almighty dollar. If the tax status of a company is tied to vaccinations by its employees then even they will tend to give up. For example the tax deductibility of wages could be tied to the vaccine status of any employee. There may be exceptions made for those with a valid doctor's excuse. Money talks. People will drop false beliefs when their paycheck is involved.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
That's great news!

Given the nature of the US population, my guess is no where near enough but it will slow down the infection rate substantially and relieve hospital and medical professional burden.

And it will help the economy substantially depending on how many do get vaccinated once it becomes generally available.

And I will be able to get together with my friends again and go out to eat and see movies in the theater,

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Every day I her lawyer ads on TV, offering to represent those who've been harmed by some medication or other that's been found unsafe and withdrawn from the market -- and which have gone through full, multi-year testing.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Every day I her lawyer ads on TV, offering to represent those who've been harmed by some medication or other that's been found unsafe and withdrawn from the market -- and which have gone through full, multi-year testing.
Listen to epidemiologists, not lawyers.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
That's great news!

I think a lot will hold out until the side effects are disclosed.

Milton Platt

I think that the company actually said 94.5% efficacy, not effectiveness. they are different things. Efficacy is effectiveness under tightly controlled conditions and ideal circumstances. Effectiveness is how it does out in the real world. But I quibble.....it is certainly good news.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
upload_2020-11-17_11-20-30.gif

Nimos

I think its great, but have to admit, that I can't help being a bit worried about how well tested these are going to be.

Vaccine development is a long, complex process, often lasting 10-15 years and involving a combination of public and private involvement.

The current system for developing, testing, and regulating vaccines developed during the 20th century as the groups involved standardized their procedures and regulations.

Here we are talking about vaccines that have been developed in around 1 year before being handed out. How much testing and evaluation can you really do, when it comes to long term side effects?

I wish the people working in this field and knows about vaccines, would shed some light on it.

Here is a list of disease vs side effect of vaccines. But I assume that these are vaccines that have been tested and developed over a period of 10+ more years before being given to people. (Just me guessing from what was written above and these are well known diseases.)

Comparisons of the effects of diseases and the side effects of vaccines

I think it's important with a vaccine, but if you end up giving healthy people long term side effects, because you had to rush out a vaccine, Im not really sure its the best idea, especially when I doubt anyone really know what they could be.

I just find it a bit worrying that this is not being discussed more in the medias, like what are the worse case expected scenario, when it comes to long term side effects? what are to be expected as a minimum? etc. People seem a bit to blinded by the vaccine itself in my opinion.

And obviously I might be completely wrong and there is no reason to be worried, because I have no clue what is in these vaccines, as no one is sharing or talking about it. But millions of people can be injected in a very short period of time, before these can be independently tested as they are released.

Last edited: