• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

90's horror franchises

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
@Kooky if I had the Sliders device from that show, I would use it totally responsibly.

And by that I mean I would bring back the real Alien 3 from alternate universes.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
It was going to in Alien 3!! It was supposed to go to Earth. So that would be a funny trope inversion!

I don’t care for anything after Alien 3, and Alien 3 is barely tolerated, maybe it’s the “what-if” scenario that would be a dvd extra on the real Alien 3.
I found Alien 3 pretty decent when I first watched it - but, pointedly, it was the very first Alien movie I watched so I didn't have any points of comparison to go with it.

After having watched the first two, much better movies, I could understand perfectly why it was such a letdown for so many people.
4 was just glorious campy trash. And Ridley Scott never made any other movies in that franchise as far as I'm concerned.

EDIT:
@Kooky if I had the Sliders device from that show, I would use it totally responsibly.

And by that I mean I would bring back the real Alien 3 from alternate universes.
I was just now thinking what it could have been if they'd let David Fincher do his thing.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
I found Alien 3 pretty decent when I first watched it - but, pointedly, it was the very first Alien movie I watched so I didn't have any points of comparison to go with it.

After having watched the first two, much better movies, I could understand perfectly why it was such a letdown for so many people.
4 was just glorious campy trash. And Ridley Scott never made any other movies in that franchise as far as I'm concerned.

EDIT:

I was just now thinking what it could have been if they'd let David Fincher do his thing.

Ridley Scott was responsible for that Covenant abomination.

Pretentious trash. Worse than kitsch. He only proved after that and that Wolves tv show (forget the name) that he got Alien and Blade Runner right on accident.

(James Cameron did Aliens)

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Hellraiser 1: follows the formula
Hellraiser 2: does have original final girl returning, so slightly out of order
Hellraiser 3: this is where the new protagonist is introduced, and I'm pretty sure original final girl shows up too (and dies). Much campier. Goes from "Cenobites are beings with such alien morality that we might consider them evil, but they aren't evil per se" to "yeah they're just evil demons now"
Hellraiser 4: both explores the antagonist's past AND is set in space!
Hellraiser 1 came out when I was still less than 10 years old, so its late 70s or early 80's.

Movie 1: Final girl survives, semi-serious in tone
Movie 2: New protagonist, never as good as the first film, a little goofier
Fun fact: The above are not true for Final Destination but are true for The Bourne Identity (which is not horror but also not from the 90s).

With some slight variations, this is the formula
I will file this away as useful, because I'd never find out myself. I can rarely stand horror unless its abstract like in Final Destination or Donnie Darko. Horror has got to be silly and artsy looking, not gross all the time. No Friday the 13 or Saw or anything like that. Even Deep Blue Sea was almost too much.