• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

90 Year old Cardinal Zen arrested:Hong Kong

JIMMY12345

China has a security law.Cardinal Zen is accused of conspiring to invite sanctions in Hong Kong.If found guilty he could face life imprisonment.The Vatican have pragmatically allowed Beijing to select Catholic Bishops.Cardinal Zen was resolutely opposed to this.The Protestant followed by Catholic are popular religions as they reinforce the social structure.

Is the Vatican merely being sensible? Hong Kong is Chinese now.
Should Xi Jinping follow Putin and do a abrupt U turn and encourage religion?
This to encourage social stability in economic instability.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
China has a security law.Cardinal Zen is accused of conspiring to invite sanctions in Hong Kong.If found guilty he could face life imprisonment.The Vatican have pragmatically allowed Beijing to select Catholic Bishops.Cardinal Zen was resolutely opposed to this.The Protestant followed by Catholic are popular religions as they reinforce the social structure.

Is the Vatican merely being sensible? Hong Kong is Chinese now.
Should Xi Jinping follow Putin and do a abrupt U turn and encourage religion?
This to encourage social stability in economic instability.

Religion is Russia has been encouraged since Stalin's days, The population is over 80% religious, which i believe to be higher than America.

In HK the cardinal protested volubly against an authoritarian government. These things do not go unpunished. Really he should have known better than to speak his conscience when it opposes the government line

JIMMY12345

Religion is Russia has been encouraged since Stalin's days, The population is over 80% religious, which i believe to be higher than America.

In HK the cardinal protested volubly against an authoritarian government. These things do not go unpunished. Really he should have known better than to speak his conscience when it opposes the government line
Putin has positively encouraged the Russian Orthodox church and hijacked it.The bad West to him smacks of liberal values.The individual in Russia
(and China) is subordinate to the state.Generous handouts to the Orthodox church is with the aim of fostering a national culture.This does not entirely work as many in the Russian Orthodox church are severely critical of the Ukrainian invasion.Saying this to loudly however invites a very long jail sentence.Putin and his mob have it covered.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Putin has positively encouraged the Russian Orthodox church and hijacked it.The bad West to him smacks of liberal values.The individual in Russia
(and China) is subordinate to the state.Generous handouts to the Orthodox church is with the aim of fostering a national culture.This does not entirely work as many in the Russian Orthodox church are severely critical of the Ukrainian invasion.Saying this to loudly however invites a very long jail sentence.Putin and his mob have it covered.

Yes, but it's nothing new. Russia has a long history of silencing decent

JIMMY12345

Yes, but it's nothing new. Russia has a long history of silencing decent
Russia has a long history of silencing decent
Great.We at least partially agree. Authoritarian regimes historically power sharing threat to any including organised religion was to be discouraged.When the superpowers are finished.By giving arms to Ukraine/sanctions or by silence thereby encouraging Putin.The end result is the same.Russia will be in need of prayers. Putin got his wish invasion of Ukraine.People need to be careful as to what they wish for.At the end of all this USA and China will be happy.One less rival (Russia) to worry about.