• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

90 day fiance and other cultures

Riders

I am a liberal person. However the whole 90 day fiance thing is a reality tv show based on those who want to marry a foreigner from another country in 90 days so they can get their visa and fall in love and meet in 90 days. I wouldn't do the tv show thing, I don't trust people that much definitely would be a problem if someone was using me to come tot he usa.

My sister married an illegal alien from Mexico but they're marriage turned out well. I think it can but I am not sure about marrying someone who came to america unless they have been here for awhile maybe I would.

Put it this way, I don't travel would not be interested in going to another country it scares me. I know I'm a universalist it would seem that type of thing would be my thing.

The thing about folks who are from other religions weather it be Jewish Christian Muslim Buddhist from other countries, a lot of them are very ultra conservative , America is very liberal compared to other countries. Youd think id be interested in going to other religions being Universalist.

I went to a Buddhist Temple that's been in North Dallas for over 40 years.I went to a class 12 years ago when I weighed 345 pounds. I went ot a class the teacher an older chinese man from china he looked at me and asked why I wanted to learn about meditation. I started to talk he said let me be blunt is it because of your obesity and his eyes just a bout popped out like he hadn't ever seen anyone as big as me.

He did give me some really good advice.I was glad I went but I could just tell from his mannerisms and the way eh spoke to me hat he was really conservative and not use to being around big big ladies.

Later on one of my Buddhist monk friends on line recommended that temple to me and said be careful the leaders are very chinese and very old fashioned conservative. Yes I've already gone and I am very aware of that.

I went to Zen meditation several months ago. My temple director too me home same thing she was very very chinese and very traditional and she asking me a lot of questions, about my weight and my sisters and weather or not I lived with my family how close I was to my sisters etc.I get it, I was not offended so much but I recognize again the very traditional conservative back ground that they come from.

However I don't mind going to a Zen temple with conservative leaders, it didn't really bother me the conversation because she did not force her beliefs on me. As a rule even though the leaders of Zen temples maybe ultra conservative, you go meditate maybe chant and talk but as a rule politics are not discussed nor personal values, you go to meditate mainly and leave.

So if I had not taken a ride form her I would not have even gotten into the conversation with her and sense she doesn't force her ways on me it doesn't bother me.

But that being said back tot he topic, yea I watch the show and I see many folks form other countries on there who's values are very different then ours and I think I would be nervous about getting involved with someone who came from an uber ultra conservative traditional back ground.
Marrying someone from a different religion is scary too.

Its odd that a Universal lady like me is so nervous about that but like I said many cultures are very different then us. I mean I went to the Hare Krishna Temple in Dallas 12 years ago maybe 3 times. It was beautiful.

The service the music is awesome the flowers the rituals the vegan food was good, they serve a free dinner at their classes and service Kirtan ISCON!

But like on my 3rd visit the teacher was teaching looking at me saying that if I had visited a few times i needed to start going every week and maybe more 2 or 3 times if possible. Those of us who had visited a few times b=needed to start coming regular not just visiting got onto me about it.HE also reached at me about being vegetarian and losing weight.Tobecontinued

Riders

I really thought it was pretty forward of him to get onto me about joining and going regularly even though I had only visited a few times so again there's the structure and conservative attitudes of that group.So I did not go back but its the service is beautiful.So as a Universal person, my sister has asked me " how can you be universal accepting of all these religions when you liberal and they are conservative you know don;t you that these people form other countries and religions are very conservative."

Yes I am very aware,but many religions from other countries in America like Zen Buddhists groups who have tradition leaders also understand that Americans many of us are liberal and choose not to speak about it.

So I can visit other religions and hope to not speak about Politics or conservative values.
But falling in love with someone from a back ground like that I don't know how I would feel about that. I am very careful these days about visiting other religions. i would prefer to go to Unity church which is very universal in their thinking and liberal.

Unity and UU church is aware that many religions like that are conservative and traditional but it does not mean they can not visit the church, there have been traditional folks at UU and Unity I'm sure. I think our values are our own and can take knowledge from the religion without adopting the conservative values of another country.

So in the end it does not bother me that these other religions are conservative as with Zen meditation groups, many of these other religions in America maybe aware that Americans are more liberal and choose not to address it at their service also. I don't know it depends on where
you go. The B'ahais seem nice to me but I know there has been debate between them and others on GLBT rights too so.

But I have to be aware of what I'm walking into before I visit another religion. I have thought about revisiting the Hare Krishna temple and avoid the class or going to a hindu temple. But I am not sure about that right now.Ill probably stick with Unity or a Zen temple.

Nimos

Put it this way, I don't travel would not be interested in going to another country it scares me. I know I'm a universalist it would seem that type of thing would be my thing.

The thing about folks who are from other religions weather it be Jewish Christian Muslim Buddhist from other countries, a lot of them are very ultra conservative , America is very liberal compared to other countries. Youd think id be interested in going to other religions being Universalist.
Then take a trip to the Nordic countries, we are very atheistic :D

Nimos

Im gonna do some commercials here for Denmark :D

I found this video log, about someone travelling here, I haven't seen it so maybe its not good.
(Edit: By the way I saw it and I live in the area they are filming, some of the places are like 250 meters from where I live :D)

Things to know before going here :D

Last edited: