• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

9 Videos interviewing 8 famous Mathematicians about reality

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Penrose
Wolfram
Weinberg
Chaitin
Davies
Gross
Lakoff
Tegmark

Its a playlist. I suspect the channel has a religious slant and is hunting for philosophical and religious support for platonism, but I have only watched the first video each of which is simply an interview with a mathematician.

All of these guys are beyond a doubt mathematical experts. This is the same Roger Penrose who recently wins a Nobel for work in research about black hole singularities and who is already famous for discovering Penrose Tiling. Wolfram is famous for his research in irreversibility and makes Mathematica. All of these are people who know their stuff.

The presenter tries to draw out philosophical statements from the mathematicians. Its going to be an interesting video series and worth sharing I think. As for the first video: Roger Penrose doesn't take a position on what our reality consists of and what Math has to do with it, but he shares his insights on the nature of mathematics and its precision in representing physical reality even down to the tiniest detail. He doesn't get drawn into saying anything philosophical! We'll see how the other mathematicians fare! :)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFJr3pJl27pIp1EsDD2rYaTI7GxoXqrLs

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
My understanding is that most physicists today find themselves forced to be somewhat religious. They can't deny the anthropic principle, which implies that the Universe only exists to serve the consciousness in it, basically.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Penrose
Wolfram
Weinberg
Chaitin
Davies
Gross
Lakoff
Tegmark

Its a playlist. I suspect the channel has a religious slant and is hunting for philosophical and religious support for platonism, but I have only watched the first video each of which is simply an interview with a mathematician.

All of these guys are beyond a doubt mathematical experts. This is the same Roger Penrose who recently wins a Nobel for work in research about black hole singularities and who is already famous for discovering Penrose Tiling. Wolfram is famous for his research in irreversibility and makes Mathematica. All of these are people who know their stuff.

The presenter tries to draw out philosophical statements from the mathematicians. Its going to be an interesting video series and worth sharing I think. As for the first video: Roger Penrose doesn't take a position on what our reality consists of and what Math has to do with it, but he shares his insights on the nature of mathematics and its precision in representing physical reality even down to the tiniest detail. He doesn't get drawn into saying anything philosophical! We'll see how the other mathematicians fare! :)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFJr3pJl27pIp1EsDD2rYaTI7GxoXqrLs

Some of us suffered from math anxiety when we were younger.

But I might give it a shot.

53763c25e18556bbf94cb720bc1a01da.jpg

Heyo

Veteran Member
Almost all of the "Closer to Truth" videos are worth watching for someone seriously interested in philosophy.
The only critique I have is that they are very different in the requirement of prior knowledge. Some are boring for the average viewer because they handle pretty basic stuff. Others are too advanced for a general audience.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Some of us suffered from math anxiety when we were younger.

But I might give it a shot.

53763c25e18556bbf94cb720bc1a01da.jpg

Well, uh, mathematics to me now means 2+2=4 and so on. I found geometry rather interesting, I guess I like angles and mechanics. As far as physics, I'm still trying to figure what Einstein figured. Can't do it. But I figure that if I jump up, I'll come back down.