1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured 9 Simple Reasons for Any Rational Person to Reject Materialism

Discussion in 'Religious Debates' started by 1137, May 6, 2018.

1. atanu

atanu Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,034
    Religion:
    Hindu Sanatana Dharma
    All atoms in a body get replaced in short duration.

2. Revoltingest

Revoltingest Libertarian Capitalist Atheist Bokononist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +38,193
    Religion:
    Bokononism
    All things are temporary.

3. atanu

atanu Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,034
    Religion:
    Hindu Sanatana Dharma
    Yeah. Although, eminent scientists on board have given up defining ‘things’, I agree that all things must pass.

To be able to discern that all things pass, an unchanging knower is required,.

4. Disciple of Jesus

Disciple of Jesus Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +1,579
    There is no 'objective truth'. That phrase makes no sense. We have subjective truths, and of course if I've determined something to be true, it is 'truth', to me. You're understanding of truth offers no more objective evidence in the example I gave, than the example. That's why I used that example as opposed to a completely non comparitive perception of truth. You have blurred the lines between speculation and objective truth, and instead of realizing that what you really are talking about is personal perception, or personal truth, you think that your personal truth must be disproved, as an objective truth, an impossibility; and not how we argue things.

5. blü 2

blü 2 Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,284
    Religion:
    Skeptical
    The statement "It is not raining here at the moment" is either true or false. We can check which by seeing whether at that moment it's raining or not. That is, we can get objective verification of the truth or falsity of the statement.

(Whereas the statement "1 + 1 = 2" is a statement about abstractions, concepts without a real counterpart, and in such a case 'true' has the different meaning 'correct according to the rules of the system'.)
    If you think it's raining, and I show you it's not, how do you proceed?

Given 1 + 1 = 2 according to standard decimal arithmetic, if I assert that 1 + 1 = 3 in that system, how do you correct me?

6. Disciple of Jesus

Disciple of Jesus Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +1,579
    Whether it is raining out, or not, isn't the same thing as asserting materialism.

7. blü 2

blü 2 Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,284
    Religion:
    Skeptical
    The test for truth is however the same. So how do you test for truth the statement 'It's raining here at the moment'? And how do you test the correctness of the statement 'In arithmetic base 10, 1 + 1 = 3'?

Talk me through your truth- and correctness-testing methods ─ I confess that I don't understand what you've said so far, which has largely been about what your methods are not.

#127 blü 2, May 11, 2018
    Last edited: May 12, 2018
  8. URAVIP2ME

URAVIP2ME Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +1,492
    Since the so-called ' Prosperity Gospel ' is Not a scriptural teaching then I find it is a false teaching.
    Jesus forewarned us at Matthew chapter 7 that MANY would come ' in his name ' but prove false to him.
    Rather, Jesus taught to disown oneself, and as his NEW commandment at John 13:34-25 indicates we should have the same self-sacrificing live for others as he has.

Jesus taught to endure to the end at Matthew 24:13. Meaning the end of one's life, or end of wickedness on Earth when Jesus, as Prince of Peace, will usher in global Peace on Earth among person's of goodwill. That is the coming time when Jesus establishes world-wide peace, and that is the beginning of his 1,000-year governmental rule over Earth. Then, according to Revelation 22:2 there will be ' healing ' for earth's nations. Not just for those of us still alive on Earth at that time, but a happy-and-healthy resurrection back to live life on Earth for billions who never have the opportunity to learn about Jesus.

9. paarsurrey

paarsurrey Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +1,495
    Simple Reasons for Any Rational Person to Reject Materialism

Materialism is not a Revealed Religion , it is a man-made religion. To err is human, and if one person can make an error, many persons that make a world view can make errors as many times, please. Right, please?
    Regards

10. dmap

dmap God is good and beautiful

Ratings:
    +287
    Religion:
    deist monotheist agnostic panentheist
    Yes, this is a very well articulated summary of the topic.

11. dmap

Ratings:
    +287
    Religion:
    Yes, I think this is merely an assumption of materialism; that if there is correlation between the brain and consciousness, therefore, consciousness *is* material.

12. dmap

Ratings:
    +287
    Religion:
    I doubt that logic and reason can prove things in the spiritual realm. For example, using logical arguments to prove the existence of God is not helpful; such arguments can't prove such a thing.

I agree that materialists don't mention the subjective experiential aspect of consciousness. They don't seem to think it is needed; all you have to do is call it an illusion or an emergent property, and the question is magically answered. But placing something in a mental category explains nothing.

13. dmap

Ratings:
    +287
    Religion:
    Yes, a key argument. The scientific method requires the scientist, and their mental powers of observation and analysis.

14. dmap

Ratings:
    +287
    Religion:
    I'm sure materialists can argue against this kind of evidence. I think, however, that the evidence is valid.

But a more important question: If the subjective consciousness affects matter, what is the mechanism? No one has explained this satisfactorily yet.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. dmap

Ratings:
    +287
    Religion:
    Yes. I've been wondering about the interaction of information with consciousness and with the universe. Seems some views of quantum mechanics and entropy emphasize the role of information. The ink on paper encodes information, and DNA encodes information. What is the mechanism of this and the role of non-material consciousness?

16. dmap

Ratings:
    +287
    Religion:
    Apparently, the brain state changes a moment *before* we become conscious of something, or before we *choose* to do something. It's as if the non-conscious mind chooses and then, after the fact, informs the consciousness, which then adds it to its subjective experience. Maybe the conscious experience even falsely believes it *chose* when, in fact, the underlying mental processes actually did the choosing.

17. dmap

Ratings:
    +287
    Religion:
    I wouldn't mind if materialists thought this if they had the humility to admit that, maybe, just maybe, materialism was false in certain domains. But they always assume it's true no matter what. Sounds like religious faith in which every fact always proves it, if you can just find a way to explain it properly.

• Like Like x 1
  18. dmap

Ratings:
    +287
    Religion:
    Yes, it seems materialists haven't considered philosophy much. They don't seem to realize that the scientific method arises from philosophy, *not* from science. Such questions as truth and how it can be known, and what it is that experiences the knowing.

• Like Like x 1
  19. dmap

Ratings:
    +287
    Religion:
    I think this objection can be resolved via the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics. Determinism is invalidated by quantum mechanics, and I think many scientists would agree. Maybe they would say there is no conscious will dictating the future, but the randomness from the wave function collapse would be unpredictable.

20. Koldo

Koldo Incredible Member

Ratings:
    +1,173
    Not really. Not even in principle.
    A changing knower along with something that keeps track of the changes could do it just fine.